Air compressor setup vs electric impact wretch HF

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I bought an electric impact wrench from harbor freight ( 240 ft/lbs ) max., $35 sale. But I can get this air compressor unit, 8 gallon 115 psi for $80. (coupon, normally $119 )

impact wrench link
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45252

air compressor link
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95386

What would you guys recommend? Spending the extra $$ to get the compressor, along with an impact wrench? Is this compressor even powerfull enough for impact wrenches for minor automotive repairs? thx.

That air compressor would just barely run an impact. 5CFM vs 4.5CFM or so. For what its worth I have that same electric impact and I do wheels and simple stuff like that with it and it works fine. I even pulled the bolts for CV shafts with it before.

Thanks Onmo for quick response. How about the compressor in general for that price? to inflate tires, or would it be wise to invest in a more powerful unit.?

That is a big compressor compared to mine! I have a 2 gallon, 0.4 scfm (yes, it's that weak) CH compressor that was given to me by my father. He got it free somehow. I just used it today with a CP impact wrench to remove a differential fill plug that I could not get off with my 18" torque wrench (awkward position only allowed me to get about 120 lb-ft on it).

Sure, it would barely run an impact non-stop, but you shouldn't have any problem zipping off lug nuts with it or breaking something loose that you can't do by hand.

I'd want a more powerful impact wrench than that, but maybe it would work fine in most situations. I've never used an electric impact wrench or one with that low of a rated torque value.

For occasional use with an impact gun, that compressor might be OK. However, if you do any serious mechanic work it's going to be annoyingly small. That said, there are a lot more benefits to having a compressor than being able to use an impact gun. They're handy to have around for a variety of uses so I'd go that route instead of getting a relatively "wimpy" electric impact gun.

I use a 6 gallon porter cable pancake compressor with my impact wrench, and it's fine. I actually wish I had a smaller compressor, I use it for trim carpentry and it's a pain to drag around. It does turn on often during use with the impact, but is by no means constanly on or straining to keep up.

On the other hand, for painting or sandblasting there is no way a compressor like mine will do.

The cordless impact wrenches might work - I just got a slightly used Dewalt DW059 cordless impact wrench from an ebay vendor. It is the handiest tool I have ever bought and pretty powerful for my home mechanic-ing.

(I use other Dewalt cordless tools so I always have an 18V battery charged and ready.)

On one charge I can take off and remove all four wheels, plus do a complete front end rebuild (tie rods, control arms, steering box, pitman, etc.). It blasted off all the old rusty nuts and bolts with zero hesitation. It's pretty heavy, however.

The cfm rating of the compressor doesn't matter if you have enough air storage (8-gal isn't much), good size air hose, & quality fittings. The cfm rating of the compressor only matters once you have used the available stored compressed air.

That air compressor is probably near the max you can get with a normal 110v 15 A outlet. I have a similar one I got at big lots years ago that works great. I agree with above; air tools are addicting once you make the leap and get the compressor.

what exactly would be a decent shopping list for a 1st time compressor user such as myself? after I purchase the compressor itself. Basic stuff, low-end. ..

I have the 2hp HF compressor in my little garage. Use it mostly thuogh for little things like blowing things off, air tres and toys and the like. It will run some air tools, but it doesn't have the reserve on it for running very much. I have a 3hp with the bigger tank in the big garage and it does decent but I can run it down also. For the most part it is a good choice and I am running it off a 115 volt dedicated circuit. The little one I had hooked up in tandem with a spare 8 or 10 gal tank and it helped a lot with keeping up.

I vote for the electric impact. You plug in and have 100% effort immediately, no waiting for the compressor to pressurize. If you really need an air power, get a very good compressor and top-ticket tools, not HF.

Depends on how much you are going to use it. I've had my 3hp for a few years now and some of their impact tools and have been satisfied with them. Unless you are going to be using them pretty often then I don't think the top tier stuff is worth as much as the tab is. Remember you are many times paying for the name. I have HF electric impact for several years, but have never even taken it out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back