Recommend a family vehicle please

The wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world six months ago and in that time we have became increasingly aware that a ford ranger and a Honda Civic aren’t gonna cut it much longer due to space. Both are paid for and both run great. The ranger is an ‘02 regular cab so it’s not helping anything and my wife’s civic feels like a cramped go cart with a diaper bag and car seat and it has over 200k miles on it to boot. I will be keeping both vehicles For back up reasons and the ranger is my daily driver for work.

My budget is low to mid $30k’s and I’m really trying to avoid the used market as much as possible with all the insane prices. We had initially planned to use her civic until it was just no longer feasible because we both hate debt and we love not having any, but we feel it’s time.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.
Different strokes. Bad time to buy a car. Save your money and make do for awhile. You've got more expenses coming. Jmo

Preaching to the choir for everyone who has/had a small kid, at this point in your life, being close to a dealer can be just as important factor as everything else.

IMO. 1. new; 2. a brand/brand network that OP is comfortable being committed to for the next 4+ years; 3. nothing smaller than a compact crossover, etc.

And that’s the issue we currently have with my wife’s civic. The baby sets behind me(driver) so my seat has to go forward and my wife sets in the back seat with him for now. Civics have no rear leg room WITHOUT a car seat and my wife and I aren’t big folks to begin with. I’m also not opposed to a minivan at all. My SIL has an odyssey and it’s awesome, but they are commanding big prices on the used market. Actually almost every minivan does right now. 50k+ mile minivans are still bringing in nearly $40k. Ridiculous. I don’t have to have a new ride right this minute so I can wait.
I totally get how useful minivans are. The first time I had a friend buy one, I gave him a hard time (we both had Land Cruisers and fun cars previous) but once I crawled all over his Honda Odyssey, I could easily see why families have them--Tons of storage space. And yes, the price of a new van is pretty crazy, but right now everything is pretty crazy.

The wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world six months ago and in that time we have became increasingly aware that a ford ranger and a Honda Civic aren’t gonna cut it much longer due to space. Both are paid for and both run great. The ranger is an ‘02 regular cab so it’s not helping anything and my wife’s civic feels like a cramped go cart with a diaper bag and car seat and it has over 200k miles on it to boot. I will be keeping both vehicles For back up reasons and the ranger is my daily driver for work.

My budget is low to mid $30k’s and I’m really trying to avoid the used market as much as possible with all the insane prices. We had initially planned to use her civic until it was just no longer feasible because we both hate debt and we love not having any, but we feel it’s time.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.
I’m with those folks here recommending to buy a 10+ year old vehicle. Save the money. The baby is going to make a mess in the vehicle. Personally I would want the baby hauler to be a vehicle I’m indifferent to.

I’ll throw in an alternate option here - what about a late model R51 (2011-2012 Nissan Pathfinder)? They fixed all the SMOD issues by 2010 and timing chain guides were updated after 2008. They’re bullet proof, easy to maintain vehicles that’ll last a long time. Lousy gas mileage by today’s standards, yes. But you get a capable vehicle with plenty of space. They’re going in the 12-14k range for just shy of 100k miles in my area. So you’ll have plenty of dough saved up for gas or childcare.

Plus you don’t plan to put on a ton of miles anyways. The 3rd row is semi usable and can be popped up once the child grows up for their mates to ride around with.

Good luck!

I totally get how useful minivans are. The first time I had a friend buy one, I gave him a hard time (we both had Land Cruisers and fun cars previous) but once I crawled all over his Honda Odyssey, I could easily see why families have them--Tons of storage space. And yes, the price of a new van is pretty crazy, but right now everything is pretty crazy.
When I got used van in 2018, same year Highlander with similar mileage was going 10k more. You get pretty much same car (both are Camry on steroids) with less space for 10k more.
Not sure price difference now, but would not be surprised it is same as people really think SUV makes them cool, regardless that that SUV is nothing but bloated refrigerator.

Why would he buy used? The used market makes paying MSRP on a new car a bargain.

And why go minivan off the hop? IMO there is no need until there's 3 kids.
Way more room than most SUVs and still gets 25+ on the highway. Honda dealer had a Pilot in the showroom last year. Went and sat in it and my knees were jammed into the back of the driver seat. I’ve had airlines that had more legroom. Highlander wasn’t bad but again more room in the minivan for same price.

Also if your mileage is low and you dont have a lot of rust where you live a GMT 800 suv like Escalade, Denali, ect 2005-2006 can be an amazing value. Easy to fix, comfy, cheap. Gas is not, but without a new car payment gas is nothing.
I’ve talked to the wife about just getting a topper for my truck and turning it into a pseudo-Suburban with a non-heated/cooled bed.

Way more room than most SUVs and still gets 25+ on the highway. Honda dealer had a Pilot in the showroom last year. Went and sat in it and my knees were jammed into the back of the driver seat. I’ve had airlines that had more legroom. Highlander wasn’t bad but again more room in the minivan for same price.
Like I said, I love my Odyssey, but with only one or two kids we'd have a Tiguan. They have tons of room for a small family.

Unlike Pilot, HL has absolutely horrible third row seating for that size.
I drive 2009 Pilot often that in laws leave here while in Vegas. It is for me most undesirable vehicle for long trips from drivers view, or more precisely, for someone 6.2. The seat cannot be moved too far back, and I end up in some weird seating position that is seriously uncomfortable pass 200mls. I thought in new one it is better, but when I was checking it, it is same thing.

Unlike Pilot, HL has absolutely horrible third row seating for that size.
I drive 2009 Pilot often that in laws leave here while in Vegas. It is for me most undesirable vehicle for long trips from drivers view, or more precisely, for someone 6.2. The seat cannot be moved too far back, and I end up in some weird seating position that is seriously uncomfortable pass 200mls. I thought in new one it is better, but when I was checking it, it is same thing.

I think HL is like 29” lol

The4Runner is terrible for a family unless you MUST HAVE off road ability.
They do have a 30-50% more cargo space than the RAV4/CRV/Outback but with a lower cargo space height. Also many have the 7 in a pinch seating which can be useful. We thought about one instead of the Outback, and if gas was free and the price was closer, I'd always get a 4runner over the midsize fwd SUV's. The rear legroom spec is pretty short in the 4runner but maybe its a more upright seating position? My kids do love to be able to lounge around even with ski boots on in the back of the Outback, which they can't in my Focus and probably not in the 4runner.

Reactions: CKN
Minivan all the way. It’s amazing how much stuff you need to drag with you with your first child lol

You back off some on the second

Just the sliding doors alone are worth it someone will always park next to you no matter how intentional you try to park by yourself away from things. A 90 degree crossover door is just a door dinger in your garage and parking lots

The value for the minivan is way better than 3 row crossovers. You get a lot of space for the money

You got all your life after kids to buy other vehicles it’s just a temporary journey

Get a minivan let it do it’s job and dump it 10-15 years later

Tiguans are great we have a 2018 and it’s been very reliable and comfortable. My wife has one and our 16,14, and 8 year old daughters don’t complain about back seat. It is quite roomy.

That being said just don’t overpay above MSRP . Otherwise “suffer” with your paid for vehicle as a terrible car market.

Minivan is best type but not sure they are available at your price point .

Last edited:
Just went through similar — chose car this past summer, baby boy born 3 weeks ago. My choice stopped on 2018 Outlander PHEV. Caught it at the right moment in August, when wife’s car trade in value was at the peak(slightly dropped off peak, due to me thinking long should I get it now or wait a bit) and lots of lease returns coming in. Also got a color combo I wanted- white with dark brown leather interior. Most people seems to forget that Mitsubishi still exist. Take a look, new body style is somewhat controversial for Outlander, but PHEV is still previous body. Although it is over your budget, but if you do not mind 2-3 yo lease return, you can get top of the line GT trim for 35k and low miles. Also it is not overloaded with electronics, but just enough modern comfort features and traditional interior styling. AWD may come in handy, and 23 all electronic miles before it turns into usual hybrid,wont hurt either, if gas prices continue to climb.

VW? Hard pass. You’ll regret it when it comes to resale value or dependability. Stick to Japanese. Crv or rav4 might be in your price range. The cx-5 is a decent choice too as mentioned

I’ve talked to the wife about just getting a topper for my truck and turning it into a pseudo-Suburban with a non-heated/cooled bed.
I did that with my Tundra, rather liked it at first, but found I hated the high floor and having to crawl in to get stuff. Then again, I could barely reach over the bed sides when I had a tonneau cover, I had to get in no matter what. Found I would rather pull a trailer instead, have a nice large cargo trailer with low load floor.

Will say this: My topper was a CL find from an auto salvage yard. $200 dropped on to my truck, I think it might come with clamps too.

We didn’t get a minivan but lately have wondered about one, kids and college are not that far off.

Back