Crew Cab pick-up as a family vehicle?

I personally think it's not efficient to use a CC pick up as a dedicated family vehicle unless your situation requires towing/bed capacity on a regular basis. A full size SUV will offer the same driving experience but way more useable room. having to crawl or remove the tonneau to get to the groceries that slid to the front of the bed will get annoying. Plus isn't rear leg room in crew cabs pretty tight since the seats cannot be reclined or pushed back? Infants aren't too bad but once you put a toddler in a car seat they're feet will be right up against the front seats. The only crew cab truck I've ever sat in that didn't feel cramped in the back was a Tundra Crewmax and Ram Megacab. The rest you sit very upright and legroom is scarce. More then an extended cab but not much. Probably equal to a compact SUV.
From somebody who doesn't know how it works. Two long bungee cords across the further most hooks. Two boxes you pickup on your way out of Sam's club. All groceries goes in to the boxes-the bungee cord keeps them from sliding forward. Tonneau covers either roll up or fold in to thirds. NOT A BIG DEAL and neither have to fully come off. The only time my BakFlip hard trifold comes off is when we take our e-bicycles on vacation and I don't want my rear window blocked by the trifold. The rear seat in any late model Ford has TONS OF ROOM. With the RAM and SIlverado coming in second and third. The boxes stay in all the time unless I need to haul the bikes or freight. Really convenient in the winter time-put the ice cream back there and run all the errands you want and t doesn't melt!

I personally think it's not efficient to use a CC pick up as a dedicated family vehicle unless your situation requires towing/bed capacity on a regular basis. A full size SUV will offer the same driving experience but way more useable room. having to crawl or remove the tonneau to get to the groceries that slid to the front of the bed will get annoying. Plus isn't rear leg room in crew cabs pretty tight since the seats cannot be reclined or pushed back? Infants aren't too bad but once you put a toddler in a car seat they're feet will be right up against the front seats. The only crew cab truck I've ever sat in that didn't feel cramped in the back was a Tundra Crewmax and Ram Megacab. The rest you sit very upright and legroom is scarce. More then an extended cab but not much. Probably equal to a compact SUV.
I fit quite comfortably in the back seat of my crew cab Ram with my drivers seat in a comfortable position for myself. Way more room than a compact SUV’s rear seat.

Speaking from experience, you cant beat a minivan when you have young kids. Power sliding doors are a wonderful invention. Our 2008 Sienna is starting to show its age and we are thinking about replacing it with another van, even though our kids are now 13 & 15.

Crew cab DT ram with ram box and bed cargo management system so you get the divider along with the tonneau cover is a great one for families

downsides. Parking it compared to most anything but you know that

with kids it seems no matter where you park someone parks next to you closely and it’s a huge pain in the you know what to open the door and get them in our out

minivan eliminates this. Sliding doors are a God send for kids and parents

the value of a minivan is very good compared to nearly any other vehicle

get one with at least a single DVD player they love it. Kids like vans we get other ones that want to ride in it and wish there parents had one

most vehicles work. Crew cab DT is awesome at 10-20 grand more money harder on fuel and harder to park.

No, the rear leg room in the RAM 1500 that the OP has is HUGE:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ca2.jpg

A friend from high school loves their Sienna. He wasn’t sold on it initially but when he and his wife drove one, they were sold. And then they had a 3rd kid.

the Ram will work, but having driven the OP’s truck, I wouldn’t wish fabric with a baby. You know a formula or diaper accident will happen. Vinyl or leather is much easier to live with when kids are in the equation, if you can afford it.

Wrong. I don’t even know where to begin.

Reactions: CKN
We used to have vehicles that held our kids, our stuff, our groceries ..were easy to drive, handled like a car, easy to get into and out of.
They were called ....Station Wagons.
There, I said it and I’m not going to apologize!

We used to have vehicles that held our kids, our stuff, our groceries ..were easy to drive, handled like a car, easy to get into and out of.
They were called ....Station Wagons.
There, I said it and I’m not going to apologize!

Yep-and the hood was six feet long-some had a rear facing third seat-and when you powered down the rear window children would start to suffer the effects of exhaust fumes-and they weighed over two tons-and didn't have the hauling capability of open bed pickups. Yeah-go hang out over on the "Wagon Superiority thread".......it's like the "Twilight Zone" on that thread.

My wife and I may be growing our family in the next 1-2 years. We have two sedans, both of which are aging, and a new crew cab pick-up.

From a passenger space standpoint, my pick-up is the largest but we are curious if it is a viable family vehicle when there are infants. We are thinking about replacing one vehicle in our fleet to be better suited for family duties.

For those of you with experience, do you think we need to get a real family vehicle (aka minivan or larger crossover) or can we manage with a pick-up and sedans?

Cost is always a consideration, but isn't a top priority.

Edit: Truck has a tonneau cover and running boards. Step-in height is reasonable for adults.
Also get some type of floor liners regardless of what vehicle you use. It will be some of the best protection for your carpet

Unless you are traveling far a lot formula accidents won’t really happen. Floor accidents don’t happen till they are 4-5 usually. If they only drink water in the car when they are toddlers that doesn’t make a mess just a bit wet. Goldfish and cereal snacks aren’t that messy most ends up in the car seat like diaper messes. It’s when the kids get older and you let them make a mess is when it gets ugly

Having two little ones of my own:

They aren't infants for long. In a short 2 years, they'll be working towards independence, and will be opening/closing doors and climbing in and out of the vehicle on their own (or at least trying). A nice, low sedan is perfect for the kiddos for a long time. A truck, even with step bars, won't be nearly as convenient for them.

I like my sedans for the kids. My 3 and 5 year olds can get in the vehicle and buckle up on their own (can't do so in grandpa's F150 nor in my Dodge, which sits low by todays standards). I have receiver hitches on them as well for cargo carriers, bike racks, pulling the boat, utility trailer etc. Never feel like I need more.

Any other car-based vehicle, like a minivan, would also be great.

Last edited:
I own a 2020 Tundra double cab, smaller than the crew cab, and my wife and I love it. A pickup truck is so versatile. I put my ATV in the bed, carry construction materials in the bed when doing home improvements, and I tow. Much better than ANY SUV I owned. My wife 2016 Highlander is the family vehicle but that ended quickly. My Tundra is much more comfortable and we don’t take her Highlander anywhere as a family. Yes it can get a little tight with car seats but as the kids grow there seats get smaller. I went away with some buddies of mine a few months back and they couldn’t believe how comfortable the back seat was. My one buddy just ordered the same truck cause he was so impressed. I could see a pickup not being the best choice IF you’re not going to use the bed. But who cares if you enjoy pickups...

I like my sedans for the kids. My 3 and 5 year olds can get in the vehicle and buckle up on their own (can't do so in grandpa's F150 nor in my Dodge, which sits low by todays standards). I have receiver hitches on them as well for cargo carriers, bike racks, pulling the boat, utility trailer etc. Never feel like I need more.
We raised two girls with a sedan. I have several sedans now, one with rcvr tube hitch. Having said this - if your trailer tongue load is anything more than a light boat trailer's - then, really, what choice of a RWD sedan do you have out there that the Mfrs say will take a rcvr tube hitch... like a Crown Vic or old-school Impala? ...Aside from prohibitions against towing in the owner's manuals (which to me are a bit suspect - YMMV!)

Yep-and the hood was six feet long-some had a rear facing third seat-and when you powered down the rear window children would start to suffer the effects of exhaust fumes-and they weighed over two tons-and didn't have the hauling capability of open bed pickups. Yeah-go hang out over on the "Wagon Superiority thread".......it's like the "Twilight Zone" on that thread.
This is a “pickup as a family car“ thread...how much “open bed hauling capacity” does a family car need?...and where does that “third row seat“ face in your mighty open bed pickup? I would take a Volvo V90 over a pickup in a heartbeat for a Family car....for hauling a dozen illegals or a half ton of manure?...I can rent that open bed limo pickup truck.

This is a “pickup as a family car“ thread...how much “open bed hauling capacity” does a family car need?...and where does that “third row seat“ face in your mighty open bed pickup? I would take a Volvo V90 over a pickup in a heartbeat for a Family car....for hauling a dozen illegals or a half ton of manure?...I can rent that open bed limo pickup truck.
Here we are folks-a pickup truck hater..........

Let me answer that:
We can toss a dirty bike or 4-wheeler in the bed. All the fishing gear, tent, coolers...etc. I can throw stuff from home depot in there and not worry about messing up the interior. It can do all of that and still tow the boats or more ATV's on a trailer.

We can toss all the bikes in the bed and go biking somewhere away from home. You can put all the luggage for weeks away from home in there, no problem, and nothing encroaches on the interior space, which is generous and extremely comfortable.

We've owned three vehicles with three rows of seating but since we only have three kids, it was never an absolute necessity, it simply made things a bit easier to prevent fighting. If we had four a truck wouldn't work, but we don't and we've found the truck is the better fit as the kids have gotten older and we are doing more extracurricular activities.

I grew up with wagons, my parents owned two of them and while they were more versatile than a sedan, they were nowhere near as capable as a truck. As long as your occupancy requirements don't exceed what a truck provides, it's the more flexible and more capable choice.

A full sized crew cab Ram is like a big old high off the ground Buick sedan. Plenty of interior space for 2 full sized car seats w/ maybe one compact booster seat. The only issue as mentioned is with the height of the Ram If you are a tiny, shorter person, you might have difficulty hoisting child seats in/out.

With our 4 kids, we've been through almost all vehicle configurations. When my first was born in 2002, we owned a 2001 Nissan Sentra and a 1998 Chevy K1500 reg cab short bed. Rear facing infant car seats are huge and need to take up space by design. We struggled with the Sentra with this, so I took the Sentra over and traded the truck for a new 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. As more kids came along, I sold the sentra outright and bought a used 2001 Ford Windstar. This was about 2003. We had minivans from 2003-2019.

Sliding doors are important to have once kids are big enough to open doors themselves, unless you can train them much better then I was able to. LOL

Back