Recommend a family vehicle please

The wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world six months ago and in that time we have became increasingly aware that a ford ranger and a Honda Civic aren’t gonna cut it much longer due to space. Both are paid for and both run great. The ranger is an ‘02 regular cab so it’s not helping anything and my wife’s civic feels like a cramped go cart with a diaper bag and car seat and it has over 200k miles on it to boot. I will be keeping both vehicles For back up reasons and the ranger is my daily driver for work.

My budget is low to mid $30k’s and I’m really trying to avoid the used market as much as possible with all the insane prices. We had initially planned to use her civic until it was just no longer feasible because we both hate debt and we love not having any, but we feel it’s time.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.

I do not have experience with the Tiguan directly and don't intend to divert the direction of this thread if that's your primary goal.

But anytime I see a thread about a family vehicle with a budget in the $30k ballpark, I have to voice the opinion to check out Mazda. They're often overlooked and the CX-5 truly continues to be an excellent vehicle.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.
With war in the Ukraine a possibility and gas prices going over $5 already, it would be insane to buy a full size truck now. There is a reason they are only $35K now. The Tiguan is a very good choice.

Would you buy another Honda? The HRV and CRV are in your budget, and possibly even an RDX too :)

Toyota's Corolla Cross might suit your needs as well.

If you do consider used cars, there's the Tourx

The Transit Connect might work too

Last edited:
Thanks guys I appreciate it and I’ll look into Mazdas a bit and see what happens. I’ll keep the Tiguan in mind as well.

Would you buy another Honda? The HRV and CRV are in your budget, and possibly even an RDX too :)

Toyota's Corolla Cross might suit your needs as well.

If you do consider used cars, there's the Tourx
I would second the HRV. Have a 21 sport and love it......The CRV is a good choice also. As far as the Toyota Cross.... I like it but I would wait a year since it is a brand new model....let others work out the first year bugs in a new vehicle....

We are on our second VW Passat and we love them. Never a warrant issue, great gas mileage (we get 42+ on trips) and they are right in your price range. The back seat is GINORMOUS and really makes hauling around our two grandsons (ages 7 and 10) super easy. Lots of room for car seats and very easy to get into to remove smaller children. The trunk is also huge and makes it really nice to haul stuff around with children. The ride is comfortable. Strongly recommend you look at one of these!

It depends on how long you're going to keep the vehicle. Mid or full size SUV, or possibly a minivan? If you're going to keep it 3 - 5 years, then trade it in, go with whatever you want. Most will last that long. If you want longevity, Toyota or Honda would be my choice. Toss in Kia and Hyundai as honorable mentions for longevity.

I would not overlook the Escape Hybrid - you should be able to get an SEL AWD in that range.

Tiguan would be on my short list.

CRV if you aren't anti turbo/CVT.

If a full size truck in in the offing, a Ridgeline would also be a good choice i would think. (Fuel not withstanding)

First of all, congratulations! I'm thinking back a few years to when our first child was born. We had an '82 Mazda GLC 2-dr hatchback. It was fine for one or two little ones.

We kept the GLC, but later added a free '80 Volare wagon as our main family car.

But ultimately with additional little ones we found that a minivan was best for us. Unmatched utility.

If you stop at one or two children, the CX5 is a good choice. A Mazda5 (3-row 6-seat microvan) also a good vehicle, but is no longer sold new in North America.

Congratulations!!!
But think long term! Second baby coming sometime? Bcs. if this baby is easy you guys will be: “we got this, let’s have aome action!” 😂
So, then Tiguan or CRV, or Mazda CX5 will be small, really small. I got BMW X5 bcs. kid was coming. Just to realize it will be too small for two kids and long road trips we make.
Get yourself minivan and thank me later. Toyota if you need AWD, Honda, Toyota etc. if FWD only.

I would highly recommend a Toyota 4Runner. Plenty of space for a family of 4 and cargo room to carry all of the baby stuff. I think you would be happy with either a 4th gen (03-09) for a 5th gen (10-now).

Congrats!

My wife and I are both tall. We were able to survive in smaller sedans with our first, complete with the challenges of tall people and rear facing infant seats. When our second came it was a non-starter as we would both have knees in the dash.

So you have time. But be on the lookout.

Dont be one of these folks who think that their youth and/or testosterone levels are indicated by their selection of a (car based) "SUV" vs a wagon or minivan. The space and flexibility afforded by a minivan is far superior of anything short of a Suburban type vehicle.

Minivan, Suburban, or nothing. With gas prices going up minivan is the best bet. New Sienna looks interesting though our friends' sienna is in the shop all the time while our odyssey isnt...

I would highly recommend a Toyota 4Runner. Plenty of space for a family of 4 and cargo room to carry all of the baby stuff. I think you would be happy with either a 4th gen (03-09) for a 5th gen (10-now).
Definitely NOT plenty of space in 4Runner. It is body on frame. There are a lot of drawbacks to that when it comes to family needs.

Congrats!
My wife and I are both tall. We were able to survive in smaller sedans with our first, complete with the challenges of tall people and rear facing infant seats. When our second came it was a non-starter as we would both have knees in the dash.

So you have time. But be on the lookout.

Dont be one of these folks who think that their youth and/or testosterone levels are indicated by their selection of a (car based) "SUV" vs a wagon or minivan. The space and flexibility afforded by a minivan is far superior of anything short of a Suburban type vehicle.

Minivan, Suburban, or nothing. With gas prices going up minivan is the best bet. New Sienna looks interesting though our friends' sienna is in the shop all the time while our odyssey isnt...
And old Suburban’s bcs. rear suspension have really tight third row.
Minivan or nothing! :)

Back