Recommend a family vehicle please

Take a look at the 2022 RAV4 hybrids. The model has been out since 2019 so they have worked the kinks out of the new model and just gave it a face lift. They are bigger than the Tiguans and get around 40 MPG (roughy 15 more than the Tiguan, according to Fuelly.) like others have mentioned, gas prices may be nearing $5/gallon. Buy the most fuel efficient car you can get your hands on now.

Comparison of a 25MPG car vs 40MPG, 15K miles per year, $4/gallon:
$2400 vs $1500 per year or $75 extra per month in fuel for the Tiguan. You will spend an extra $9,000 to get the 25MPG car to 150K.

Also, before the haters start. The batteries are warrantied for 10Y/150K.
I agree about hybrids but the RAV 4 has been a reliability nightmare for everyone I know that owns one of the late model ones.

Given the wild used car prices, buy new if you can---even if it means getting a smaller vehicle for the same amount of money.

My neighbor uses a Ram 1500 as a family car for his 2 kids. Go for it, if it fits your needs.

Otherwise instead of the Tiguan, new Mazda CX-5

Pros: reliability, crash test worthiness, peppy base engine, fuel efficient for having no CVT.
Cons: IMO, the CX5 is the bare minimum for passenger and cargo space for 2 parents and a kid in back. Firm ride. Might be too small as kid hits elementary school for road trips.

Alt: CRV. more forgiving ride, more interior space. But you get a CVT and raspy engine.

Maybe a Santa Fe or Sorento? Have no 1st hand knowledge other than, IIRC, the base squeezes into your price range and it's bigger than the CX5.

Good luck!

I agree about hybrids but the RAV 4 has been a reliability nightmare for everyone I know that owns one of the late model ones.
False. They had had a few teething issues on the 2019s and 2020s but they have TSBs and extended warranties for those very minor issues (parasitic battery discharge, misreading fuel gauge, stuff like that). They are solid cars and that’s one of the reasons why they are the top selling SUV in America.

The wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world six months ago and in that time we have became increasingly aware that a ford ranger and a Honda Civic aren’t gonna cut it much longer due to space. Both are paid for and both run great. The ranger is an ‘02 regular cab so it’s not helping anything and my wife’s civic feels like a cramped go cart with a diaper bag and car seat and it has over 200k miles on it to boot. I will be keeping both vehicles For back up reasons and the ranger is my daily driver for work.

My budget is low to mid $30k’s and I’m really trying to avoid the used market as much as possible with all the insane prices. We had initially planned to use her civic until it was just no longer feasible because we both hate debt and we love not having any, but we feel it’s time.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.Toyota Sienna is hybrid that prob

I second the Toyota Sienna. The 2019-2020 should have the transmission programming figured out. The 21 is a hybrid. What I like about the 2020 and under is the ability to move the middle seats all the way back to touching the 3rd row. This gives enough room for everybody if needed. Plus there is plenty of room behind the 3rd row. Chevy Tahoe probably doesn’t have that type of space although it capable in other areas.

The wife and I just welcomed our baby boy into the world six months ago and in that time we have became increasingly aware that a ford ranger and a Honda Civic aren’t gonna cut it much longer due to space. Both are paid for and both run great. The ranger is an ‘02 regular cab so it’s not helping anything and my wife’s civic feels like a cramped go cart with a diaper bag and car seat and it has over 200k miles on it to boot. I will be keeping both vehicles For back up reasons and the ranger is my daily driver for work.

My budget is low to mid $30k’s and I’m really trying to avoid the used market as much as possible with all the insane prices. We had initially planned to use her civic until it was just no longer feasible because we both hate debt and we love not having any, but we feel it’s time.

With all that said, I’ve noticed the VW Tiguan seems to be in my price range new and I was wondering if there are any opinions or experiences with them? I’m not opposed to a full size truck either because the ram 1500 bighorns can be had new for $35k near me.
A used Honda CRV or Pilot are great choices. Boring, but dependable, roomy, and lots of storage cubbies inside.

Honestly, the best family vehicle is a Land Cruiser. 11 mpg, no rear carseat latch system and it was too tall for the kids to climb into for a long time--but it was a lot of fun to own and definitely stood out in the school pickup line amongst all the boring minivans and SUV's.

lc2.jpeg
lc1.jpeg

Honestly, the best family vehicle is a Land Cruiser. 11 mpg, no rear carseat latch system and it was too tall for the kids to climb into for a long time--but it was a lot of fun to own and definitely stood out in the school pickup line amongst all the boring minivans and SUV's.

View attachment 88631View attachment 88632
Current "wannabe" Land Cruisers in my kid's school have 4 max Trax, 10 spare tanks of gas, 4 shovels, snorkel, etc. None though has any specks of dirt EVER on wheels.

OP, the name of the game is rear seat legroom. You need to take your carseat and test fit it in whatever vehicle you're considering. Rear facing seats take up a good amount of space. When we had our first son, we had a Toyota Yaris sedan and we could not fit a rear facing seat in the back and use the front seat (it had to be moved too far forward).
And that’s the issue we currently have with my wife’s civic. The baby sets behind me(driver) so my seat has to go forward and my wife sets in the back seat with him for now. Civics have no rear leg room WITHOUT a car seat and my wife and I aren’t big folks to begin with. I’m also not opposed to a minivan at all. My SIL has an odyssey and it’s awesome, but they are commanding big prices on the used market. Actually almost every minivan does right now. 50k+ mile minivans are still bringing in nearly $40k. Ridiculous. I don’t have to have a new ride right this minute so I can wait.

Ram 1500.

If more kids are definitely incoming in the next 2 years, Pacifica base (MSRP 36k, 2k rebate = $34k-ish)

(correction). rebate includes $1k for current Chryco owners and a base 2021 (34k) isn't carried near me.

Last edited:
If more kids are definitely incoming in the next 2 years, Pacifica base (MSRP 36k, 2k rebate = $34k-ish)
The 2022 Chrysler Pacifica FWD Touring starts at $37,095, plus a destination fee of $1,595, = $38,690, making it the most expensive 2022 minivan. I don't see that any rebates are available to the general public.
The least expensive new 2022 minivan is the Kia Carnival MPV LX (formerly called Sedona) at $33275 with destination fee.
The 2022 Chrysler Voyager LX is a few dollars higher at $33610 with destination fee.
Next up is the 2022 Honda Odyssey LX at $34,265 with destination fee.
Finally, the 2022 Toyota Sienna FWD LE Hybrid is $35,775 with destination fee.

And that’s the issue we currently have with my wife’s civic. The baby sets behind me(driver) so my seat has to go forward and my wife sets in the back seat with him for now. Civics have no rear leg room WITHOUT a car seat and my wife and I aren’t big folks to begin with. I’m also not opposed to a minivan at all. My SIL has an odyssey and it’s awesome, but they are commanding big prices on the used market. Actually almost every minivan does right now. 50k+ mile minivans are still bringing in nearly $40k. Ridiculous. I don’t have to have a new ride right this minute so I can wait.
Don’t rush. Go used. You really want vehicle that when child vomits inside you are indifferent about car. That is their purpose. I have Honda Pilot from my in-laws now. They got place here for summer and I am maintaining and driving that car. IMO, of older family SUV’s it is roomiest one and closest to minivan. Engine is powerful enough, transmission issues are resolved In previous generation. VCM can be turned off. Brakes are issue, but in AL you don’t have demanding hills to overwhelm them and warp them. There is noticeable torque steer in FWD, but what you gonna do.

Still think 2016 Sienna with lower mileage is best bet. You can sell it 10 years down the road. Someone will buy it, trust me.

Why would he buy used? The used market makes paying MSRP on a new car a bargain.

And why go minivan off the hop? IMO there is no need until there's 3 kids.

Last edited:
Why would he buy used? The used market makes paying MSRP on a new car a bargain.

And why would go minivan off the hop? IMO there is no need until there's 3 kids.
Can he swing new? Yeah prices are high, but used is still cheaper.

Yes large SUV will fit easily 2, but he is back on the market if third comes. If it doesn’t, he has extras more practical space. He can’t lose.

Back