reccomend me an insurance company

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been with 21st century for the past 10 years or so and they have decided that they want to jack up my premium by $350 a year and i dont have any tickets or have i made a single clain within this time. im looking to shop around and leave these suckers. can anyone reccomend a good cheap agency?

Amica,

Mutual company, YOU get the dividends, not any stockholders...

There is a fundamental problem with an insurance company that pays stockholders; things are stacked against you the moment you get a policy....

Last edited:
Quote:

i have been with 21st century for the past 10 years or so and they have decided that they want to jack up my premium by $350 a year and i dont have any tickets or have i made a single clain within this time.

Insurance is a YMMV thing. So by all means shop around.

However, I can tell you that me and my wife recently got some good deals from the insurance company run by the AAA motor club. So you might want to stop by your local AAA office, and see what they can offer you.

NOTE: If you aren't already a AAA member, consider becoming one. I've actually been a AAA member for over 20 years now (my dad got me started with their service, when I first started driving), and I haven't regretted it. Yes, AAA does cost a few $$$ a year, but it's also been my experience that the extra traveling discounts and the free tour books and maps pretty much pay for your annual AAA membership. And if you ever do have your car break down, help is only a (cell) phone call away, with AAA.

I ACTUALLY JUST GOT QUOTED FROM ALLSTATE, state farm, AAA, and amica and AAA has come in at the lowest thus far even lower than my current premium.

It would be nice to hear experiences from those who have made claims to these (and other) insurance companies -- how they were treated, whether they could use a repair facility of their own choice, whether the insurance company paid for OEM parts or only aftermarket, how often they tried to total a vehicle that was worth repairing, etc. Insurance companies are in the business to make money, and some of them can get very manipulative and difficult when you have a claim. Here are some experiences from my dealings -- not that I have had this many accidents, but have helped others through:

GEICO: You can only use these facilities. (Both I experienced were quite unpleasant to deal with -- like poor fitment of panels, clips that couldn't stay together due to stress, etc, and didn't want to hear a complaint.) Each claim raised rates by 30% even though they were relatively minor - no airbags, no structure damage, no major components.
GEICO: If you don't use this cheapest facility with boneyard parts we will total the vehicle. (Hood latch failure from salt corrosion.) This is after over a decade with them and having insured the vehicle (and another) with them since new.
ALLSTATE: Your vehicle has damage on two panels so we will total it. (Disputed this one and won.)
METLIFE: You flashed your lights so we will only pay 90% of the repair costs. (Disputed but didn't win.

I've been with State Farm since 1984. No complaints. I've gotten quotes from other insurers and no one can match the same coverage as cheaply as State Farm.

Insurance companies are very very location sensitive in both rates and underwriting caveats. So a guy in Nebraska will have great rates/service/policy with say Allstate and another guy in Texas will have the total opposite experience. Impossible to just ask "which is the best" as they change so drastically from location to location depending on the underwriters and the demographics of a particular location.

Bear - I've been with Geico for close to 10 years now, and have no complaints. In NY, the ins company cannot tell you where to get your car fixed. However, when I was rear ended, I used Geicos recommended facility (autobody shop, Enterprise car rental satelite office, Geico satellite office all in one). Car came out beautiful, hasn't effected my rates in the least.

As was said - YMMV

I became sold on State Farm a couple of years ago when I got massive hail damage on my passat....we're talking over 700 dings. When I called to ask who I can use to repair the damage they told me to find someone and let them know. I thought it was too good to be true so I asked again and they told me I can use anyone I want.

So I called up the local Farrari/Porsche/Bentley dealer and asked them who they use to repair hail damage to their cars and used the guy. Total bill was around $5000 with a $100 deductible. State Farm paid it no questions asked.

i have progressive and had it for sometime but when it was time to renew i got quotes from every company i could fine and progressive was half as much as most and still 100$ cheaper than the closes. it may be that ive benn with them so long but its by far the cheapest for me.

Progressive is the biggest bunch of jerks that exist. Not only is their top management a bunch of America-haters (do your research on Michael Reagan for this, Im not getting into it here), but their business practices screw over faultless drivers. By virtue of the "lawyer's monopoly", they effectively force everyday people into pennies on the dollar settlements.

They are a lousy company, with questionable business practices, and I suggest that everyone boycott them.

THey are the "wal mart effect" in car insurance - and thus are another instrumental company in the downfall of this country.

JMH

Another satisfied State Farm Customer for more than 20 yrs. I have shopped around and found cheaper rates but not the service my agent gives. The few claims I have had (all deer crashes) were fixed by the best shop in the area. They only time I had any complaint was once with one of their adjusters. He was very old and arogant but when I complained to the local office, they sent someone else who treated me with respect.

Also, be aware that some companies will give you a low rate to lure you away from your current insured then raise your rate at next renewal. Thats a common ploy in the business, so be aware of it.

Are you looking for full coverage or just state-required liability?

If it's liability only, quality of claim should not be your concern. After all, it's your "hitee" that has to deal with them. I would suggest a "repressive" (hint) operation based on price alone.

Cali has been in the news for more-ridiculous-than-usual zip code biases by ins cos. Shop around seriously as some no-name company neither you nor anyone else has heard of might have the best deal.

If you qualify, by being a Senior NCO or comissioned officer in the military or the dependant of one of those, try USAA.

I've been with them for over 20 years. I've had excellent experience with 2 or 3 claims in that time, and I've shopped them around and when I tell any prospective agent or telesales rep I'm currently with USAA, they quickly say they cannot beat USAA's rates before they even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back