California Car Insurance - OMG!

So everyone just pays more. Genius.
That could be true, so they’ll probably lump the entire state together and bump rates over time. Lots of uninsured and unlicensed drivers in CA too.
The issue is a bit more complex than that. Rate making is fairly granular - the number of data inputs and external factors are pretty staggering if you have ever seen one of these models. Keep in mind that once you enter the market, getting a rate increase can take you 1-2 years and as evident in the article, you're limited to asking for 6.9% unless you want to risk other things. Doesn't mean you'll receive 6.9%, either. And while you wait, each year, your rate need can increase by 5-15%. See the issue?

What is going on here! I've been with Esurance for years, before that I was with Progressive, before that Geico. I'd switch whenever the rates were better. Got lazy so stuck with Esurance as the price always seemed OK. About $100/mo for what I consider to be good coverage. High limits, $500 deductive on comprehensive/collision, etc.

Recently I heard some insurance companies are no longer accepting customers in CA but didn't think much of it - though that was more in refence to home insurance or fire insurance or something.

Well, my boyfriend happened to share with me he pays $250/mo for insurance. I was like WHAT!!!! That seemed crazy to me. I looked at it and it's not minimum but not great coverage limits. Way less than mine. I have mine set high as modern vehicle prices, prices of everything, are high. On a Nissan Kicks. Annual mileage of maybe 12K-15K tops. One incident in the past five years where his parked vehicle was hit. So we tried to shop around. First I used the Jerry app to compare prices as it's convenient. 19/20 insurance providers declined coverage due to "not accepting customers in California at this time" while ONE that I'd never heard of offered coverage at $109/mo. But that was for minimum liability only. Increasing the coverage to something reasonable and added comprehensive/collision and they declined covereage as well.

Then we tried directly on Geico website. They quoted $200/mo and said something about a 15 business day underwriting review. Sounded to me like a kind way to say "no" without specifically saying no.

Esurance didn't even let us submit a quote upon entering zip code and referred to some third party thing I'd never heard of either.

My question is, is this the new norm? How is anyone getting reasonably priced insurance? What to do!? Like, what does someone do if they need insurance now?
Hmmm, perhaps it's time for me to quit whining about the cost of our mandatory public insurance here ...

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
Pleasure Use
$850 basic insurance
$085 for $300 deductible
$030 for $10M 3rd-party liability
_______
$965
-$386 driver safety rating discount
+$119 vehicle registration
_______
$698 grand total

(All in C$.)

The state sets the rates and the state limits the ability for insurance companies to raise rates = insurance companies not issuing or renewing policies because they are losing money = consumers can't get a car loan because they can't purchase insurance = consumers can't purchase a car.
This appears to me to be a "backdoor" way for CA (and other states) to limit the number of new cars sold. The nut cases want everyone living there either walking, riding bikes, or using mass transit.

Yeah, homeowner is more than preferred, couple hundred a month or a bit more. Not aware of any decade roof replacement mandate. Just replaced a roof last month, 17 years old, original builder roof so only medium quality.

My rates are super low through Costco Connect. That's all I can tell you. I was paying $1180 every 6 months but that got bumped to $1770 earlier this year; not sure why. Full coverage on the Model 3, RX450h and GS350 F Sport; liability on the Tundra. The GS costs the most by far.
Good luck @dogememe

I was miffed when I got the insurance bill on my new to me '21 Corolla. Wife has a '21 Camry Hybrid. Should be same cost, right? nope. Hers is $2k/yr and mine is $2,500. ???? I looked into changing deductible from $500 to $1k but it only saves $250 per year, not sure on the "gain" there.

I have 16 and 18 year old drivers, that is what I suspect the main driver of my insurance... knew I should have gone old and used! that's part of why I'm not sure I want to change my deductible, although the kids don't drive the newer cars.

At least in my case, my insurance should start creeping down at some point, as they gain age and/or strike out on their own in a few years. But until then... makes me realize, they were cheap when they were little.

I have 16 and 18 year old drivers, that is what I suspect the main driver of my insurance... knew I should have gone old and used! that's part of why I'm not sure I want to change my deductible, although the kids don't drive the newer cars.

At least in my case, my insurance should start creeping down at some point, as they gain age and/or strike out on their own in a few years. But until then... makes me realize, they were cheap when they were little.
I wouldn't say that is always the case. My 20 Ram costs the same as my 11 Prius to insure. The 07 Accord costs about 20% more than the Ram, and it isn't just the Comp - it is every coverage.

Not the first time that I have seen this.

I wouldn't say that is always the case. My 20 Ram costs the same as my 11 Prius to insure. The 07 Accord costs about 20% more than the Ram, and it isn't just the Comp - it is every coverage.

I did some googling before buying, and it seemed that most links were indicating the same insurance cost between the two, which is why I was taken aback by the bill. It was unexpected. Not sure if it would have swayed my decision or not, but, it was not in line with what I expected.

I just read that in California they can't use gender or credit score to influence your rate, though.
You keep looking for the state to regulate "some more" in hopes that it'll help your BF.

But insurers don't want to offer policies in CA until the regs get dialed back.

Without competition, you have what you have.

So we tried to shop around. First I used the Jerry app to compare prices as it's convenient. 19/20 insurance providers declined coverage due to "not accepting customers in California at this time" while ONE that I'd never heard of offered coverage at $109/mo. But that was for minimum liability only. Increasing the coverage to something reasonable and added comprehensive/collision and they declined covereage as well.

Then we tried directly on Geico website. They quoted $200/mo and said something about a 15 business day underwriting review. Sounded to me like a kind way to say "no" without specifically saying no.
You need to find an independent insurance agent, they can quote most any insurance companies and get you the most accurate quote. Not a website.

And the websites for Geico, Esurance etc. can only do so much. It sucks but you need to call for an accurate quote and eligibili
I was miffed when I got the insurance bill on my new to me '21 Corolla. Wife has a '21 Camry Hybrid. Should be same cost, right? nope. Hers is $2k/yr and mine is $2,500. ???? I looked into changing deductible from $500 to $1k but it only saves $250 per year, not sure on the "gain" there.

Insurance is highly dependent on age, location, credit, car, etc. but wow! That's expensive. My '18 Genesis is about $50/mo more than the Grand Cherokee was. Both full coverage, it's $173/mo so $2,076/yr. $500 deductibles, 100/300/100 coverages with uninsured and underinsured coverage.

I'd shop around.

Reactions: GON
You keep looking for the state to regulate "some more" in hopes that it'll help your BF.

But insurers don't want to offer policies in CA until the regs get dialed back.

Without competition, you have what you have.
Either way it ends up in incredibly high prices or insurers backing out. Have you looked at the market for homeowners insurance in FL lately? I thought FL had the regs "dialed back"? There will be no insurance for high risk coastal areas soon enough. They can't charge enough to make it work.

My auto insurance will be going up 26% and similar increases are happening in many states. The problem is systemic and goes way beyond the policies of one state and probably even the US itself. Of course some policies are unhelpful and why it shows up first there, but CA is the canary in the coal mine.

Last edited:

I pay only $10 more a month to insure a 2021 M2 Competition vs a 2010 Mazda 3.

Everything is expensive in CA, insurance is no different unfortunately. If it's anything like NY, and from what I hear Florida is no better, you're paying for uninsured motorists, and the number of them is rising quickly, along with your insurance rates to fund them driving w/o it. That's the sad reality imo, and other states are hiking rates too. Shop around, I found familiarity breeds contempt with insurance companies, shopping can help.

For comparison purposes:
My ANNUAL auto insurance policy here in Maryland, underwritten by Erie Insurance stayed about the same. Possibly even exactly the same. If Erie operates in your state, you should seriously consider them.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Shop around, I found familiarity breeds contempt with insurance companies, shopping can help.
I used to have that issue as well until I switched to a different insurance agent. It might be completely coincidental though. I've had Erie Insurance before with a different agent and just rate jacked just the same. Different agent, same insurance company, and it hasn't happened yet.

Back