Reasons to use a larger filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any real reasons to use a larger filter? Will it filter any more or anything? I just saw how small the filter for the Q50 is and found out I can use a Titan or GTR filter that is almost 1in larger, but not sure if there is really any benefit to it.

IMO not really. A larger filter holds a little more, and slightly increases the volume of oil in the sump. Neither is really necessary when the oil and filter are changed at reasonable intervals.

There are arguments on both sides of the fence, as far as this argument goes. It could be argued that the slightly larger 'sump' volume will help extend oil life somewhat. It can also be argued that the larger filter can potentially hold more contamination thus extending life.

In a clean-running engine, under a normal OCI length, it probably won't make much difference. If you run longer OCIs, then it might help a bit.

In my case, I tend to buy the FL400s instead of the FL910s, mainly because, for some reason, the 400s seems to run a bit cheaper at Walmart and on Amazon ($1.00 less on Amazon, actually).. which I find to be of benefit.

Also, I feel like the 910 is too small for my engine, and the 400 is a 'more appropriate' size. yeah I know, probably not true, but I do it anyways.

I see no value nor have I seen any data that even suggest that if an engine holds 5 quarts, that an extra 0.25 quart will make a difference in performance.

If you wanted to be running extended oil change intervals, then the higher capacity (filtered debris) might be useful, just to avoid cold pressure bypass opening. This the only functional reason I can think of.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I see no value nor have I seen any data that even suggest that if an engine holds 5 quarts, that an extra 0.25 quart will make a difference in performance.

Sure, data is good, but sometimes you can make a reasonable hypothesis based on first principles.

The engine puts a certain amount of contamination into the oil. If you have more oil, the contaminants are diluted, so the oil is cleaner, and wear is therefore likely to be reduced, a positive effect.

Downsides? Oil takes a bit longer to reach operating temperature. Significance will depend on ambient temps and driving pattern so hard to predict, but will be greater if short-tripping.

Does filter size matter? Honda uses a micro small filter on all their motors including their V6. Must not be a flow issue.

It depends on a lot of things. How much media area is there in the small filter? How much in the larger one?

Yes a bigger canister adds total oil volume in circulation, and that is often a good thing in summer with 100* outside and the A/C on all the time. Oil's #2 job is to transfer heat, so the more in circulation, the easier it is to keep the sump temps lower.

Many of us are on every other oil change for the filter, so the larger media area means it can go further w/o any worries about becoming loaded with whatever ...

Sometimes it's easier to get a grip on longer filter.

And, it does flow oil easier (more media area) when the oil is cold and thick. So less time spent in by-pass and that is always a good thing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Really no Reason to run a larger filter. We know that small filters don't get plugged up in normal usage.

And some larger oil filters have surprisingly little extra media inside.

There is ONE other thing no one mentioned:

When you slow down the rate of flow through the media, efficiency increases.

An XG8A spun on in place of a XG3614 (if it fits in the space)
will ALWAYS filter better (more efficiency) -
even if it's the same exact filter media -
just because the oil flows through more slowly.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Does filter size matter? Honda uses a micro small filter on all their motors including their V6. Must not be a flow issue.

Thats not true. The S2000 uses a filter that won't fit on most other Hondas. It's both longer and wider than the other Honda filters. For my S2000 I run a Baldwin B202 but will try a Donalson P502503 when I get my thread adapter made.

ROD

Originally Posted By: BullittGT
Are there any real reasons to use a larger filter?

In my case (I gather we're talking about the same part number equivalents, even, given the brand involved), the oversized options have been consistently cheaper than the specified filter, for whatever reason. That's my benefit.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
There is ONE other thing no one mentioned: When you slow down the rate of flow through the media, efficiency increases. ...
Excellent point, missed by others. The lower flow rate through larger media area is less likely to shove previously captured particles through the media.

I have a 2001 V8 Tundra. The "correct" filter is pretty tiny. There is a larger on that holds easily 1/2 quart more.
Makes for an even 7 quart service and almost 10% more oil.
Better oil cooling, more filtration, etc. due to the larger area.
I believe in using the larger capacity filter.
Does it make much of a difference?
As others have said, under normal OCI, probably not.
Today's engines run pretty clean, and the Toyota V8 is pretty easy on oil anyways.
Who knows?

I have yet to see an oversized filter deliver a worse UOA in a properly cared for engine compared to the "spec" filter, so when combined with things like Garak and Jeff pointed out, it's almost a no-brainer. Plus, lower flow rate not only improves the filtering efficiency, it also produces a lower PSID across the media, reducing the likelihood of wavy pleats, or torn media, or longer bypass events.... I see nothing wrong with going with an oversize filter that fits and does not run into clearance issues (this includes clearance from road debris)- like my Fusion calls for an FL-910S but yet an FL-400S equivalent fits in under the belly pan- this gives the same diameter but yet a full 1.5" longer canister, and as long as that 1.5" is full of additional media, I'm all in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back