Rear Leaf Spring/Axle Question

If you look at the attached pictures you can see a before (first two pictures) and after (second two pictures) of the drivers side leaf spring assembly of my 22 Silverado. I have rear spring clunking (and still do). I suspect the “before” picture is as a result of me having taken it to the dealer and them “making sure” the mounting plates were tight. Look how unevenly tightened the rear leaf spring u bolt was. Also notice the bottom leaf was out of alignment with the rest of the assembly,. So I fixed this this evening per GM service information (tightening sequencing, etc). The way it looks after the fix are the second three pictures. The problem is now the rear u bolt actually touches the axle. On the passenger side spring set (unmolested by me) the rear u bolt is almost touching but doesn’t quite touch the axle. One, is this a problem worth digging back into? Two, is my alignment screwed up? The paint is undercoating I sprayed on the tiny amount of bare metal on the axle tube that was showing after I loosened and retightened the assembly (slightly different placement on retightening). Is this something I even need to worry about? You can see on the last photo what I mean about “touching the axle.”.The rear of the axle is to the top. Notice how that bolt is touching against the axle tube.

Attachments

• BA373E76-3155-4510-ADF9-09DD740CCD7C.jpeg
    BA373E76-3155-4510-ADF9-09DD740CCD7C.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 884448EC-5C9A-4B76-B017-1DD63761974A.jpeg
    884448EC-5C9A-4B76-B017-1DD63761974A.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 77BF46B7-B9AE-44CC-869A-832E44EAEDAB.jpeg
    77BF46B7-B9AE-44CC-869A-832E44EAEDAB.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 4818FD0A-3E6A-451A-9DDE-94511DA25F21.jpeg
    4818FD0A-3E6A-451A-9DDE-94511DA25F21.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 52573720-D8BB-4217-A1C1-03A3AA2B0EDD.jpeg
    52573720-D8BB-4217-A1C1-03A3AA2B0EDD.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I would check for an alignment problem.
Has the truck been wrecked?
I’ll bet it tracks like a bulldog that’s running full out.

Never wrecked, bought brand new, only 7500 on it. (Found this today when rotating tires).
Have the alignment checked.
Also, look under other new Chevy pickups on the lot. Do they all look like this?
Have someone drive your truck and you follow behind. Is the rear End trying to pass the front end?

My 17 looks like this, my old 02 looked like this. Kids 2003 Duramax with new leaf springs installed professionally by the previous owner looks like this. That being said, I mean the leaf spring just out of alignment. Not sure if other truck guys will chime in, but I "fixed" it on the last truck and after a bit is settled right back to that. Never called out during an alignment, tracks straight down the road. I am not going to mess with mine again unless it exhibits some odd handling/tracking characteristics.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this affects alignment?

You have spring hangers that are riveted (or bolted) to the frame. They're fixed. You have a shackle in the rear hanger. You have bushings in the spring eyes and shackle pivot.

You have center pins in your leaf packs. The center pin can ONLY rest in the SINGLE hole (ORD single rate trick excepted) in the spring perch which is welded to the axle tubes.

Everything only bolts up one way, there's zero adjustment anywhere. The only option would be frame damage or manufacturing defects to be "out of alignment". THE BUSHINGS WILL ABSORB MINOR MISALIGNMENT OF COMPONENTS

Also:
-lower overloads often twist out of position a bit. IT MATTERS NOT
-u-bolts can drag the axle tube all day long. It's minor and NOT IMPORTANT. The only bummer is if it buggers the fine threads on aftermarket u-bolts that eventually get pulled into your nut -- then it galls and seizes

Also I'm not sure about OEM but I'd like to see those u-bolts brand new. Uneven leg lengths are COMMON generally speaking because it doesn't matter if one leg is ~3/8" longer than the other.

However, OEM may be more symmetrical but it's also possible one batch comes with all, say, 7.5" legs while the next batch is 7.75" -- it doesn't matter enough to be precise about it

Also I'm not sure about OEM but I'd like to see those u-bolts brand new. Uneven leg lengths are COMMON generally speaking because it doesn't matter if one leg is ~3/8" longer than the other.

However, OEM may be more symmetrical but it's also possible one batch comes with all, say, 7.5" legs while the next batch is 7.75" -- it doesn't matter enough to be precise about it
I’ve seen rear axles mounted off center.

The clunk in my truck only showed up if I had about 500 lbs in the back. The service writer drove it about 100 ft (loaded) and said that's your driveshaft. They put in a new one with a double Cardan joint and all was good.
As in it didn't have a CV previously and the addition of one cured a clunk?

Back