Realtors in Florida

I had an interesting afternoon yesterday. I had a consultation with a local builder at 3pm and I waited 4 weeks to get it.
3pm comes and goes and I call him and no answer. A few minutes later he calls.
It was a power packed detail fest.. we talked mostly structure and options and he was a rep but he had the answers.

I told him I noticed they had a 10% price increase in March and he said it was due to the market situation.

With custom homes 10% can be stout but I didn't say much to him about it.
Now they are located in PA. But build in MD and DE.

So we ironed out the important things and talked over pricing and lot suitability.

We dialed in the estimate and he then told me what I already know is MD. requires a fire sprinkler system and I already did the math on that and it is an annoyance but not super expensive.

But here is where it went south. So he adds the sprinkler system into what he called, when we crossover into Maryland we charge a total of $40k extra.

A Shocker. A rip too and not crying over it but I set him up.

Even though we talked about the ground he did not know I had the lot.

I told him that $40k upcharge is only for Maryland and the sprinkler right? He said oh yes. I asked him since you are in Pennsylvania and require no sprinkler system the $40k does not apply correct.

He said yes that's only for Maryland.
I tell him I also have a lot in PA in your build area and the savings is worth me building in PA.

So then he spins it and says instead of $40k it will be $20k... I didn't say a word.

I figured it's a cash deal so no kickback and they build on your lot so if you don't use one of their lots you pay more for the house. Neat huh?

So Florida as bad as it is, seems far better builder wise than here.

You're going to get taken to the cleaners regardless.

Not sure of the exact converation but a fire sprinkler system is going to be about $2.00 psf, plus the back flow preventer system and then plus probably an impact fee for water.

Last night I talked to my second choice builder.
They have the same spec sheet so they have a great reputation.
They include the sprinkler system as standard and no MD fees as they are MD based.
They do not include excavation although my house area is tree free and level. The lot was improved about 12 years ago.

It was a fiasco free conversation with the exception of "a cash build"

If you finance you get a $22k incentive...we know how that works and currently a $35k free option bonus.

Cash it seems is a bad thing these days.
She said that they could work something out.

Meanwhile I watched a documentary about the bad areas of Florida which was very enlightening.
Subjects that are discussed can not be brought up here.
If someone wanted a link I could PM them. Very sad but interesting.

I don't know anything about this like you do, but outside looking in to me it seems like the MD builder is the way to go.

So you are building in MD and not buying in FL now? Or doing both? Or exploring options?

Unfortunately there is so much profit in financing anymore cash will often hurt you. Don't tell a car dealer you are paying cash until the deal is made, if they know you aren't financing they won't give you as good a price. Opposite of the way it used to be.

@KCJeep I sold two Florida lots this year and one just two weeks ago. I have a house under contract to be built in Florida but have several months to wait and I can sell that easily.
Those Florida lots are just the typical in town 1/4 acre deals. Usually near or under $75k.

I have a large lot in MD and I sold my big house in October.
So I am living in my shop house which I will live in until I get a new house built. I am leaving the market and with the exception of buying a lot here and there to make a few $$$ off of I am done....😆

One house that's it...
I'm losing a few steps ya know.

I have been researching the new builder and I agree they are the way to go. No funny business so far

Last edited:
I'm very picky and detailed oriented.
I'm looking for this type of quality.

1000003319.jpg

This video just came out. If your destination is Florida this is a much watch.

Would love to see his inventory stats include pre-VID. To say Punta Gorda had a 100 percent inventory growth year over year may be worthless.

Basic example (made up- I don't have the stats)

2024 Punta Gorda inventory single family homes: 40
2023 Punta Gorda inventory single family homes: 20
2018 Punta Gorda inventory single family homes: 761

If the above made-up chart possible reflects reality- Punta Gorda's 100 percent rise year over year inventory from 2023 to 2024 is a out of context fact.

Like a Ford dealership in Dallas doubling their Super Duty inventory (made up) from 2023 to 2024

2024 Dallas Ford Dealer Super Duty Trucks in stock: 2
2023 Dallas Ford Dealer Super Duty Trucks in stock: 1
2019 Dallas Ford Dealer Super Duty Trucks in stock: 80

And of note- all the homes he detailed about price cuts were "lemon" homes, trying to get market rates with a lemon home. Good homes likely still sell in these areas same day they hit the market with multiple offers, many above listing price. The "lemon" homes are no longer getting the same competition as a good home in the same subdivision.

Last edited:
Not the way I have been seeing it GON. I have seen fantastic houses in great areas lingering on the market.
Florida has several issues these days sending people to other states. It's certainly not the market here in MD where crap sells overnight.
It's totally different.
Many realtors in Florida are desperate and that even includes Ocala which is currently the escape destination from high insurance rates.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
They are using limited markets with limited data in those markets. Arcadia for example onlyhas 3500 homes with a median build date of 1974 and their population has dropped almost 8% year over year. Why? There is nothing in Arcadia! Farm land and migrant workers move there, thats it.

I will agree that apprciation is stupid high BUT what I also see that they do not track is the number of homes that have been owned an occupied for many, may years that are now on the market and that is over inflating the appreciation figures.

I am completely making this number up but follow my thoughts here. If in FL, 93,000 people died from covid, imagine the percentage of elderly home owners who purhcased those homes in the 1970's and now after they have passed away their house are suddenly getting market rates. Is that appreciation? Yes and no. My grand mother moved from OH to FL in the late 1960's. She paid a whopping $8000 for her house. After her death, my uncle 'flipped' it some 50 yrs later for $143,000. That is not a true sign of appreciation in my book. That same house on the market today would pull $165,000 ish 20 yrs after the flip.

They are using limited markets with limited data in those markets. Arcadia for example onlyhas 3500 homes with a median build date of 1974 and their population has dropped almost 8% year over year. Why? There is nothing in Arcadia! Farm land and migrant workers move there, thats it.

I will agree that apprciation is stupid high BUT what I also see that they do not track is the number of homes that have been owned an occupied for many, may years that are now on the market and that is over inflating the appreciation figures.

I am completely making this number up but follow my thoughts here. If in FL, 93,000 people died from covid, imagine the percentage of elderly home owners who purhcased those homes in the 1970's and now after they have passed away their house are suddenly getting market rates. Is that appreciation? Yes and no. My grand mother moved from OH to FL in the late 1960's. She paid a whopping $8000 for her house. After her death, my uncle 'flipped' it some 50 yrs later for $143,000. That is not a true sign of appreciation in my book. That same house on the market today would pull $165,000 ish 20 yrs after the flip.
All I can say is early last week I interviewed for a job in Tampa (via Zoom interview).

I did a real estate search withing 40 miles of Tampa and didn't find a single example of a motivated and/ or desperate seller. Almost every house on the market within 40 miles of Tampa that seemed like a "inviting" price was a lemon.

Lots of lemon homes out there. Especially if owned by a senior citizen- that did not update the home. The only difference I see is 12-24 months ago, lemons were selling for the same price as non-lemons, and non-lemons were selling for well above appraisal price. Now, lemons are no longer selling at the same price as a non-lemon.

Had an issue today and I pulled a nasty...
I have a great agent in Florida but did not bother him as he has other things going on.

Seen a house I wanted and called the listing agent Thursday morning.
Asked about the house and of course he was clueless. Couldn't even tell me the builder which
I already knew. Seriously.
Without asking he tells me tomorrow is the open house and he will live stream it to me
and that way I can see the quality of it. He was going to get into all the hidden spaces and yada, yada, yada :)

He went on to bloviate how he has shocked the housing market and all of that good stuff.
Typical nonsense nobody cares about.

Fast forward. Nothing from him. Zippo. Just 5 minutes ago he sends me a builder list of who could build
on one of my lots. Oh really... Nobody asked for that.

I called him just now and told him he has been dismissed. He wanted to plead his case, so I hung up and
blocked him. Nice and sweet. loser!

Was I mean? :)
Yep, that sounds like every realtor I’ve ever dealt with. 🤷‍♂️

Today I get the builder call at 2pm. Base price I already know and excavation not included.
I have made 3 attempts to get the standard features list or the builder spec sheet and yet nothing.
Why? No idea...

Will I get the hidden charge list like last time? Most likely 😀

Back