Realtors in Florida

It's over gents...
Went smooth and we had a nice talk. The guy brought his gf with him and I had her in stitches... all in good fun...
First time ever in Starbucks but I picked a good one as he meets there often... No hassle friendly place...

Yo @GON
If I may ask are you getting any rent discount for all that work you are doing.
I hope so.
The monthly rental price is very nice. Two adults putting in 40 hours minimum each the first week cleaning and repairs and maintenance, and 2k USD in cleaning supplies and maintenance items, is not so much fun.

The bathroom has a sewer gas leak. I tried caulking the toilet, reduced the gas but not fully. I ordered and will install an oatley flange repair kit and will install after it arrives. Lots and lots of work done and to be done. My wife insists on things being right, so I just say yes dear and get to work.

71VrGIWqobL._AC_SL1500___29504.1697146701.jpg

The monthly rental price is very nice.
Translation-
The rent is cheap and the place is a dump. So-assuming he doesn't get reimbursed for all of this. (And it sounds like he isn't). The money he is spending needs to be added to the rent. This is not even mentioning his time.
The rent is not as cheap as it appears-it's still a dump-just a clean one.

Last edited:
The monthly rental price is very nice.
Translation-
The rent is cheap and the place is a dump. So-assuming he doesn't get reimbursed for all of this. (And it sounds like he isn't). The money he is spending needs to be added to the rent. This is not even mentioning his time.
The rent is not as cheap as it appears-it's still a dump-just a clean one.
What rental isn't a dump? Serious question?

The ones I own.....
Possibly true. But tell me how many tenants actually care about your house. They live in it for a while, they don't care about it, they may keep it supeficously clean but not really. When they move out you spend a bunch of time and money getting it back up to your standard.

Most landlords skip that last step.

Possibly true. But tell me how many tenants actually care about your house. They live in it for a while, they don't care about it, they may keep it supeficously clean but not really. When they move out you spend a bunch of time and money getting it back up to your standard.

Most landlords skip that last step.
ESA (emotional support animals) are a especially bad problems for Landlords. We ask them to get insurance for any possible damage-they never do. The last tenants had one-it did a number on the carpets-their security deposit is paying for a third of the cost of replacement. Had this happen before-but the carpets were abled to be cleaned and sanitized.
If it was truly a trained ESA-it wouldn't have messed the carpets.

I recently got back from Florida and looked at a home under construction in a 55 and over community. I'm not going to post the name of the community on an open forum. Much to my disappointment the ceiling framing studs were 32" on center, to which the sheetrock would be screwed to. I left scratching my head, does code allow that?

I recently got back from Florida and looked at a home under construction in a 55 and over community. I'm not going to post the name of the community on an open forum. Much to my disappointment the ceiling framing studs were 32" on center, to which the sheetrock would be screwed to. I left scratching my head, does code allow that?
If it's new houses it would seem everything needs current codes. Maybe someone can chime in who lives there and is familiar with the building codes.

If it's new houses it would seem everything needs current codes. Maybe someone can chime in who lives there and is familiar with the building codes.
I have a feeling after seeing that house that the code might apply to structural items, and not interior walls and ceilings after walking through it.

Building code requires 16" OC or 24"OC with sag resistant ceiling drywall. Are you sure they were not gooing to add perpendicular straps for the ceiling board?

Here you go @GON
Market correction in Port St Lucie
It's just the start for overinflated FL.

I have yet to see an overinflated marketed in the southeast, southwest, west, or Rockies deflate. Just like tire pressure, there may be a loss of a foot lbs of pressure depending on temperatures.

People and corporations are fleeing the northeast and upper Midwest for these hot markets, and all signs is these markets will continue to rise.

I saw a picture yesterday from 1880 of people crossing the Washington state mountains with mule trains yesterday, to escape the cold. This was 1880s.. the trend to go west young man continues stronger than ever.

Those high power electrical lines running near by would be a no go for most people.

TH

Had an issue today and I pulled a nasty...
I have a great agent in Florida but did not bother him as he has other things going on.

Seen a house I wanted and called the listing agent Thursday morning.
Asked about the house and of course he was clueless. Couldn't even tell me the builder which
I already knew. Seriously.
Without asking he tells me tomorrow is the open house and he will live stream it to me
and that way I can see the quality of it. He was going to get into all the hidden spaces and yada, yada, yada :)

He went on to bloviate how he has shocked the housing market and all of that good stuff.
Typical nonsense nobody cares about.

Fast forward. Nothing from him. Zippo. Just 5 minutes ago he sends me a builder list of who could build
on one of my lots. Oh really... Nobody asked for that.

I called him just now and told him he has been dismissed. He wanted to plead his case, so I hung up and
blocked him. Nice and sweet. loser!

Was I mean? :)
I used to visit Dayton Beach in Florida once a year and rent an Airbnb condo for 2 weeks for the whole family
and was giving a great deal of thought about buying a home in Florida as a retirement place.

Superficially, at a high level, it makes sense (as Florida has no state income tax).

But after immersing myself in all the details, I ran into several blockers that have changed my mind about ever moving to Florida.

[1] Large annual increases in house insurance (partially caused by widespread insurance fraud by contractors).
[2] Large annual increases in property taxes.
[3] Large annual increases in Condo maintenance fees (due to new law for every building to accumulate a fund for maintenance).
[4] Large annual increases in Car insurance.
[5] High perpetual Home Owner Association (HOA) fees.
[6] High cost of real estate.
[7] High cost of services.
[8] Over-crowded: Car traffic seems to be at elevated levels everywhere.
[9] Rising crime.
[10] A nearby beach: New Smyrna Beach is the shark bite capital of the world.
[11] Risk of severe Huricane damage.
[12] Some humour, but still something to consider: In a press release from Putin about 5 few years ago about spending more money on his nuclear program, he let out a map of a very well targeted state that looked like Florida.

Moving to Florida is an exciting idea at first, but I think it could have buyer remorse after a year or two.
It's not the same Florida as the 1970's with low real estate cost.

After giving it some considerable thought, I've decided to stay in my current small town in the sticks with it's zero crime, clear air, forests, dirt roads, never have hurricanes or earthquakes, very stable property taxes, home insurance, car insurance, no HOA fees etc.

Last edited:
I used to visit Dayton Beach in Florida once a year and rent an Airbnb condo for 2 weeks for the whole family
and was giving a great deal of thought about buying a home in Florida as a retirement place.

Superficially, at a high level, it makes sense (as Florida has no state income tax).

But after immersing myself in all the details, I ran into several blockers that have changed my mind about ever moving to Florida.

[1] Large annual increases in house insurance (partially caused by widespread insurance fraud by contractors).
[2] Large annual increases in property taxes.
[3] Large annual increases in Condo maintenance fees (due to new law for every building to accumulate a fund for maintenance).
[4] Large annual increases in Car insurance.
[5] High perpetual Home Owner Association (HOA) fees.
[6] High cost of real estate.
[7] High cost of services.
[8] Over-crowded: Car traffic seems to be at elevated levels everywhere.
[9] Rising crime.
[10] A nearby beach: New Smyrna Beach is the shark bite capital of the world.
[11] Risk of severe Huricane damage.
[12] Some humour, but still something to consider: In a press release from Putin about 5 few years ago about spending more money on his nuclear program, he let out a map of a very well targeted state that looked like Florida.

Moving to Florida is an exciting idea at first, but I think it could have buyer remorse after a year or two.
It's not the same Florida as the 1970's with low real estate cost.

After giving it some considerable thought, I've decided to stay in my current small town in the sticks with it's zero crime, clear air, forests, dirt roads, never have hurricanes or earthquakes, very stable property taxes, home insurance, car insurance, no HOA fees etc.
Well said and thank you.
The heyday for me was in the mid 80s there.
I had the greatest place and the prices were half of Maryland.

It was a different time than now. I'm not sure if a Florida native still exists 🤔

I do like the Mediterranean houses but not much else these days.

Back