Really slow cranking battery this morning.

Life goes on with those temperatures and colder. I do understand if people aren't used to it but 15º F in Pennsylvania (and dozens of other US states, Canada, etc) is nothing out of the ordinary.
But is it worth the chance of getting into an accident? I'd wait a few days if possible,till things thaw out some.

My Honda always cranks slow in the cold, even with a fully charged brand new battery. I’m talking Florida cold, not even “cold cold”. And that’s with 0w20 in the sump.

Even the 4Runner I have with a one-month-old battery (fully charged before installed by my Schumacher tender) groaned to a start on Friday morning at -4F. These things happen. My special lady friend's Acura did the same thing. She thought the car had issues but it was her keyless fobs having both batteries fail at the same time. She didn't want to "spend the money" to fix them. $11 later, I got four new CR2032's and replaced both in the fobs, and shockingly everything is fine.

What oil is in the sump? Just curious. The CCS rating of the oil relates specifically to the stress and loads placed on the battery and starter in extreme cold temperature. This is a situation where a poorly performing oil or even a euro spec oil will show issues due to higher D4684 viscosities.
Are you really saying the oil is going to make a difference on a possible weak battery? REALLY?

Reactions: Arc
But is it worth the chance of getting into an accident? I'd wait a few days if possible,till things thaw out some.
I was chatting with a Canadian friend about out -11F weather here and all the shut downs we’ve had because of the cold and blowing snow.

He said “Here in Canada we call that Tuesday.” They love how scared us Americans are of cold and snow.

They have a great infrastructure for block heaters there in Canada to help deal with cold cars.

Currently 15 degrees here in Berks County Pennsylvania. Went out to start the Acura in signature -- have not started it the last 3 days and its been brutally cold with the wind especially overnight. Hooked up the battery tender for the time being. Will be using the car to go to church later. I am sure a good drive would take care of it also. Really caught my attention though initially with the crank. Just purchased the Walmart battery last year 2021 right before winter. Middle of the line price wise battery they had.
The battery in my hemi RAM is less than a year old too. It was -1 outside here in Kentucky the other day and it barely turned over.

Are you really saying the oil is going to make a difference on a possible weak battery? REALLY?
Years ago an old car running 20w50 wouldn't turn over at all in cold weather. Its hard to overcome thick oil.

Vehicles can drive on snow (ice isn't fun). You just go slower, keep larger distances between the car in front of you, etc. Our roads, most of them at least, are quickly plowed so we're not driving through a foot of snow or more, not even 4" of snow.

Last Friday it was -10º F in the morning and I had the day off (not due to weather). We had some last-minute things (a phone case for a new phone and a gift card) to get and the plan was just run to Walmart. Then my Mom called and said WM has a "yule log" cake but the one we were at didn't while another one 10-15 minutes away said they did, so we headed there. Then my wife texted and said get a gift card from Bass Pro Shops and while I could buy it at WM, there's a Bass Pro close to the 2nd WM and we ended up there. I dropped my daughter at the door, she ran in and go it so we both didn't have to freeze (the wind 'hurts' your face). I was driving and that's why she ran in.... plus she's younger ! 😂 So our ~1 planned trip ended up taking 3+ hours. Oh, and we weren't in empty stores with minimal employees working - stores were busy, roads were busy. Saw a total of (2) cars that had slid off the road. That's something I noticed that's different from many years ago too and I attribute it to anti-lock brakes, traction-control, etc. Seems clear those things definitely help tremendously. It doesn't make us invincible either as I'm not saying that at all.

Vehicles can drive on snow (ice isn't fun). You just go slower, keep larger distances between the car in front of you, etc. Our roads, most of them at least, are quickly plowed so we're not driving through a foot of snow or more, not even 4" of snow.

Last Friday it was -10º F in the morning and I had the day off (not due to weather). We had some last-minute things (a phone case for a new phone and a gift card) to get and the plan was just run to Walmart. Then my Mom called and said WM has a "yule log" cake but the one we were at didn't while another one 10-15 minutes away said they did, so we headed there. Then my wife texted and said get a gift card from Bass Pro Shops and while I could buy it at WM, there's a Bass Pro close to the 2nd WM and we ended up there. I dropped my daughter at the door, she ran in and go it so we both didn't have to freeze (the wind 'hurts' your face). I was driving and that's why she ran in.... plus she's younger ! 😂 So our ~1 planned trip ended up taking 3+ hours. Oh, and we weren't in empty stores with minimal employees working - stores were busy, roads were busy. Saw a total of (2) cars that had slid off the road. That's something I noticed that's different from many years ago too and I attribute it to anti-lock brakes, traction-control, etc. Seems clear those things definitely help tremendously. It doesn't make us invincible either as I'm not saying that at all.
You can be as safe as possible but someone may still hit you. I don't go out in bad weather unless absolutely necessary.

Yesterday at -24c with the windchill, I picked up my dad's F150 which I had left at work outside for a few days (repaired a coolant leak). Got in, started it and left, no warm up, just feathered it, easy peasy; warmed up quick too. What I'm getting at is, the cold affected me more than the truck. Pic was taken a few weeks ago.View attachment 132364
Your truck doesn't care about windchill, only real temperature. All of these temps are normal winter mornings in MN. Most vehicles start just fine, even older beaters that are well maintained. I think you can get away with a little less maintenance in more mild climates. Before everyone complains this is a general blanket statement, not saying anyone in this thread is lacking maintenance

The battery is fine, both vehicles started and grumbled a bit on the 24th which was our coldest day at 4F. The truck grumbling the most vs. the other one albeit turning over slower but fired up instantly. As long as it's semi new it will survive the cold weather.

OP, if you're Acura has a 51R battery in it and you upgrade that to a 24F battery you can forget about slow cranking on cool days. And the Walmart 24F MAXX usually cost less than the 51R.

I did that upgrade in September and took advantage of the Walmart price rollback online only price of $88 for the 24F MAXX that was going on then.

Last edited:
Currently 15 degrees here in Berks County Pennsylvania. Went out to start the Acura in signature -- have not started it the last 3 days and its been brutally cold with the wind especially overnight. Hooked up the battery tender for the time being. Will be using the car to go to church later. I am sure a good drive would take care of it also. Really caught my attention though initially with the crank. Just purchased the Walmart battery last year 2021 right before winter. Middle of the line price wise battery they had.
My Impreza with its 365cca battery cranked like it has Kendall Nitro 60, but still fired on the 3rd-4th rotation. I only drive it once per week or so, for about an hour. I bought a NOCO 2D so I can leave it plugged in during snooze times, but now I’ll have 3 extension cords laced around my yard. I may just up my “top-up” frequency with my Pro-Logix 2310 to once a month from November-March.

just to note,clean the battery terminals very good,do this every fall in wis. and use a good synthetic per cars requirement,,as amsoil ,hpl ,that has a decent ccs test&pour point

Back