Really slow cranking battery this morning.

Currently 15 degrees here in Berks County Pennsylvania. Went out to start the Acura in signature -- have not started it the last 3 days and its been brutally cold with the wind especially overnight. Hooked up the battery tender for the time being. Will be using the car to go to church later. I am sure a good drive would take care of it also. Really caught my attention though initially with the crank. Just purchased the Walmart battery last year 2021 right before winter. Middle of the line price wise battery they had.

Reactions: Arc
Was the battery fully charged up when you took off the battery charger out of the car? Meaning, there is an LED light that indicated the battery is fully charged from the charger

Last edited:
Its been unseasonably cold in PA, I left work one night and it was 5° when I started my truck up. Definitely a lot slower. I'm betting your Acura will start up fine, albeit a little slower than usual, especially at 15°.

That said, I didn't dare take the Subaru to work during those cold days. I think the OEM battery in it right now has like 390 CCA's below 32°. Yea, that one was not gonna start... :LOL:

What oil is in the sump? Just curious. The CCS rating of the oil relates specifically to the stress and loads placed on the battery and starter in extreme cold temperature. This is a situation where a poorly performing oil or even a euro spec oil will show issues due to higher D4684 viscosities.

What oil is in the sump? Just curious. The CCS rating of the oil relates specifically to the stress and loads placed on the battery and starter in extreme cold temperature. This is a situation where a poorly performing oil or even a euro spec oil will show issues due to higher D4684 viscosities.
Castrol Edge HM Synthetic 0W20 with alittle less then 3000 miles on it.

Was the battery fully charged up when you took off the battery charger out of the car? Meaning, there is an LED light that indicated the battery is fully charged from the charger
When I left for church the light was yellow. Indicating it was still charging. Car started actually like normal this time. Usually takes about 18 to 20 hours to fully charge with my battery minder. Temperature at the moment is 22 degrees. In for the rest of the day/nite. Minder back on.

I think I would stay home with those temps,ice etc but that's just me.
Life goes on with those temperatures and colder. I do understand if people aren't used to it but 15º F in Pennsylvania (and dozens of other US states, Canada, etc) is nothing out of the ordinary.

Really slow cranking battery this morning - Currently 15 degrees here in Berks County Pennsylvania ...and its been brutally cold with the wind especially overnight.
Not unusual really, is it ? Have seen this plenty of times when I've parked outside for 6-8+ hours and while it shouldn't matter, if my car is facing the wind, it impacts it more. I've seen it too many times to consider it a coincidence to the point that I'll park in the opposite direction and it helps.

Life goes on with those temperatures and colder. I do understand if people aren't used to it but 15º F in Pennsylvania (and dozens of other US states, Canada, etc) is nothing out of the ordinary.
Yesterday at -24c with the windchill, I picked up my dad's F150 which I had left at work outside for a few days (repaired a coolant leak). Got in, started it and left, no warm up, just feathered it, easy peasy; warmed up quick too. What I'm getting at is, the cold affected me more than the truck. Pic was taken a few weeks ago.
F150R.jpg

Back