Really Dislike Those Solid Color Vehicles

I'm seeing more and more of these Solid Colored Vehicles in Tan , Brown , Gray and Green . Does anyone else think some of these colors are hideous ?

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 19-46-07 2024 Chevy Colorado Prices Reviews and Pictures Edmunds.jpg

This is what I don't understand... these colors/finishes that look like Great-Grandma's enamelware pots and pans...

GMC calls this "Thunderstorm Gray" and charges an additional $495 for it. I call it a hard pass.

View attachment 221038
Looks like straight primer. Guess not everyone wants a pearl paint with actual depth too much anymore.

I like the solid colors, not so much the grey, it does look like primer with clear.

FWIW I worked at a small town GM dealer when I was in high school - washing cars, sweep the floor, etc. Anyway the owner used to always order one of each of the unique colors that came out. So like orange and yellow and the like. He said that 90% of people would hate it, and 10% would just have to have it and buy it right away. He was right, they just about always sold when they hit the lot. However he was smart, he would typically only get one. Obviously someone could have traveled and bought one, but the point was for it to be unique in the small town I lived, so when another color came out someone else just had to have it also.

I wish car manufacturers would offer something besides the plethora of ho hum black, white, gray, or silver cars in the US, regardless of it being solid, pearl or metallic. Something along the lines of BMW's Individual program or VAG Spektrum offerings would be nice. Thats why I like cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, they came in a variety of colors.

This is what I don't understand... these colors/finishes that look like Great-Grandma's enamelware pots and pans...

GMC calls this "Thunderstorm Gray" and charges an additional $495 for it. I call it a hard pass.

View attachment 221038
GM and their thunderstorm gray, Dodge and their destroyer gray, Audi and nardo gray… they all look like friggin wet concrete.

GM and their thunderstorm gray, Dodge and their destroyer gray, Audi and nardo gray… they all look like friggin wet concrete.
and then, at least around here, they're also painting their houses gray tones.
house across from me, beautiful red brick/ white trim, a classic design, ever since it was built in the 60's. ( used to know the original owner who had it built...)
the folks there now, painted the brick battleship gray, trim black, with a black metal roof. ( To me there's a special spot in the bad place for people that paint brick)
shortly thereafter, another house just up the street, same story, original owner moves , new owners in their remodel paint the house grey with black trim....
i see it all over around here... like some one WAY over ordered grey paint, and made a bunch of folks a deal.

but when it comes to cars, I welcome the return of non-flake finishes. just give me a paint that looks like old Single Stage that i can actually do touchups on myself without having to worry about the grain going the wrong way, or otherwise popping out, shouting to the world "I'm a Touchup patch!

and then, at least around here, they're also painting their houses gray tones.
house across from me, beautiful red brick/ white trim, a classic design, ever since it was built in the 60's. ( used to know the original owner who had it built...)
the folks there now, painted the brick battleship gray, trim black, with a black metal roof. ( To me there's a special spot in the bad place for people that paint brick)
shortly thereafter, another house just up the street, same story, original owner moves , new owners in their remodel paint the house grey with black trim....
i see it all over around here... like some one WAY over ordered grey paint, and made a bunch of folks a deal.
Thats the latest craze. Grey instead of brick will likely sell for a much higher price currently. Not saying it makes sense.

Full disclosure - my house is very light grey, but its hardy plank so it had to be painted something.

Back