Used vehicle prices etc.

So I'm finding to replace our wrecked car is just crazy, it was a 2009. Every thing I see that is somewhat affordable is either close to or over 200,000 miles, or a rebuilt title, or a former record of being hit and repaired meaning a crap paint blend etc, I've never seen blend that lasts.
And so far have had 3 that I was going to look at sold out from under me, and they were not cheap, maybe its the color combo I want.
200k mile vehicles are getting to the point of needing a bunch of work, suspension stuff for one. I wonder how many people are getting some big headache cars for the big bucks? Gosh even low mile ones can end up with major problems.
The car the step son got in 2020 is now going for 4 or 5K more than what he paid for it, go figure. I thought the used car market was supposed to crash. Another problem in this area is all the stolen cars yeah kia's etc. so I suppose that doesn't help either.

The new car market and lease markets might crash but the used car market is a global one

The price of our junk cars in foreign markets is exponentially higher than domestic .

A little known trick is that due to the trade imbalance the shipping “out” of the us can be quite nearly free (if you know what your doing)

The fact that cardboard, alphalpha and other valueless materials go overseas should be a good indicator of how truly cheap shipping back costs.

Shipping containers actually have negative values in some areas but have value overseas meaning that you sometimes can pay the trip back creatively.

All this means is that Americans are unwilling to pay as much as foreign bidders so unless foreign markets crash our used market can’t really crash, you will just see very few cars under 10 years old and definitely no beat up newer cars to buy.

So I'm finding to replace our wrecked car is just crazy, it was a 2009. Every thing I see that is somewhat affordable is either close to or over 200,000 miles, or a rebuilt title, or a former record of being hit and repaired meaning a crap paint blend etc, I've never seen blend that lasts.
And so far have had 3 that I was going to look at sold out from under me, and they were not cheap, maybe its the color combo I want.
200k mile vehicles are getting to the point of needing a bunch of work, suspension stuff for one. I wonder how many people are getting some big headache cars for the big bucks? Gosh even low mile ones can end up with major problems.
The car the step son got in 2020 is now going for 4 or 5K more than what he paid for it, go figure. I thought the used car market was supposed to crash. Another problem in this area is all the stolen cars yeah kia's etc. so I suppose that doesn't help either.
Where are you in Washington and what is your preferred vehicle (to include year)?

I had been keeping an eye for the last year and basically gave up, was going to buy new, nearly did so. IMO the used market from $10k to $20k isn't a value. And while new vehicles >$40k may see a drop, <$30k is so in demand that I just don't see prices dropping there. Another year or two and I bet there will be nothing new under $25k.

Every thing I see that is somewhat affordable is either close to or over 200,000 miles, or a.....
It seems that the OP wants what he/she considers an "affordable car" with original paint, that has never been in an accident or had a panel replaced or painted and the color combo that meets certain criteria. "Affordable" is in the wallet of the buyer.

Used car values do still seem to beholding steady, not going down at all. About 6 months ago I sold my 2010 Escape 2.5 FWD. No rust, no accidents, a big scratch on one door and rear quarter panel where I hit a used oil tank trying to park my car inside the back room of an auto parts store because I was there late at night in a sketchy area and I was paranoid about my cat being gone when I got out of work. Premium sound system, tow hitch, sunroof. 135K miles. No mechanical issues, newer shocks, brand new battery, all fluids changed up to date, etc. I don't remember how much I sold it for. Somewhere around $5500 IIRC? But IMO that was a great car for someone. In hindsight I should have kept it but, hindsight is always 20/20, right?

Last week I went looking at Escapes again, just out of curiosity. I specifically wanted a V6, AWD, 2009-2012, cloth, not leather, in the color white. A strange combo as most of the V6 AWD ones had leather or were not white. Anyway, if I wanted those specs I'd have to drive at least 2-3 hours. I didn't find any decent ones in my area. Price wise I found some at more miles than the one I sold for like $7K. So assuming you pay a premium for two more cylinders and AWD pricing is still holding high.

I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. The higher new car prices go the higher used cars will be, it's just common sense.

If my Volt got totaled or something I'd either get a used Bolt EV or buy a new Chevy Trax.

Toyota pricing, new or used, just insane IMO. The "Toyota tax" is just even more nuts than it was in the past. That's just my opinion, many disagree and feel it's worth it.

Looking at new cars, and comparing what you get to new cars, sometimes used makes sense, sometimes new makes sense. a 2023 Prius Prime starts at $33K. Or you can buy a 2015 Chevy Volt for $20K less. Even if you have to pay $10K to have the battery swapped with another used one you've still saved $10K. While delivering the same 40 miles of EV range. The new PriPri does get 50MPG vs the 35MPG I get if I use the gas engine, but if you use the engine a lot why buy a PHEV anyway?

There is a low mile 2013 Volt for $3999 but the oil pump went.

Sort of sad I didn’t buy a spare volt motor when they were $99 at the wrecker, never know sometimes if an oil pump failed car is repairable with just the pump, sometimes luck out.

All of the above is why I spent more than I should to repair my “wrecked” Volt $6500 was still cheaper than most other garbage used cars , rarely see one under 15 years old private party.

There is a low mile 2013 Volt for $3999 but the oil pump went.

Sort of sad I didn’t buy a spare volt motor when they were $99 at the wrecker, never know sometimes if an oil pump failed car is repairable with just the pump, sometimes luck out.

All of the above is why I spent more than I should to repair my “wrecked” Volt $6500 was still cheaper than most other garbage used cars , rarely see one under 15 years old private party.

Surprisingly common apparently. A few people in Chevy Volt Owners on FB have had that issue. Slightly concerning. But statistically I think % wise I'm more likely to get T-boned by an Altima driver with no insurance than my oil pump failing.

Any decent car, decent defined as anything close to pre-2021 pricing, lasts less than a day on most markets here unless it‘s just a super undesirable model or has extreme mileage. It’s still not uncommon here to see people asking 7k for a 15 year old plain Jane sedan with close to 200k miles, more if it’s a Toyota Or Honda.

The KBB value on my Ram is the same now as when I bought it 5yrs and 35k miles ago... Its a rough time to be car shopping. New/used car prices have gone through the roof post pandemic.. but this isn't new news..

I thought the prices would fall by now! Now the UAW strike is going to keep prices elevated!!!!!

This all sucks, I got my 250k miles on my POS cheap car 2014 Nissan Versa Note, and just waiting to buy new, or used.

I thought the prices would fall by now! Now the UAW strike is going to keep prices elevated!!!!!

This all sucks, I got my 250k miles on my POS cheap car 2014 Nissan Versa Note, and just waiting to buy new, or used.
It’s actually cheaper to drive a grey market 1998 or older Japanese import kei car.

If your good with your own maintenance and repairs most are very simple cars with no domestic support

Well, with an economic crash and a prolonged strike, you’ve only seen the beginning.

Just watched my neighbor sell his 2003 Taurus with 120k for almost 8k…..

It’s going to get much, much worse……

Well, with an economic crash and a prolonged strike, you’ve only seen the beginning.

Just watched my neighbor sell his 2003 Taurus with 120k for almost 8k…..

It’s going to get much, much worse……

Agreed, if you are looking for something so specific such as Awd and white with leather seats, then you need to use a car broker.

Really? Confused by your response. People are overwhelmingly here to help.
Sorry but just how it works for me. If I'm interested in something then so is everyone else. Its happened many times before.
And since I built up how good certain particular items are in the past, that could be why I can now no longer find them.

Where are you located?

Back