Real Estate Selling Agent Commission

Great point. Everyone likes to make that fortune and tney love it when the agent sells it for more than they thought it was worth but then they pissed off when they have to pay the commision.

I have the ability to lien property for my compensation in commercial and have never had to do it. My rates are higher than residential and whats been mentioned here but I know I am worth every penny. When I get a 6 figure commission, my sellers are happy too.

The average residntial agent might close 4 or 5 deals a year at an average sales price of $250,000. By time you figure the broker split and then split to agent, they are making a whooping $10,500 per sale. That will not cover the cost of doing business. Sure they might have sold your house in a week but you never hear about the 10 or 12 buyers they drove around looking for months that never ended up buying or that ended up using their buddy instead.

OK but what you do not realize is that 6% commision is usually split 50/50 with the other agent and then the selling agent has a split with their broker which is typically going to be about 70/30.

So your $850,000 sales price @6% would be a $51,000 total commison, split equally so $25,500 per side and the agents cut would be $17,850. You don't know if that quick sale is caused by the market or the skill of the agent. Reputation has a tremendous value in the world, I deal all over the country and honestly their are agents and firms that I will not do business with and other agents that I seek out weekly to see what new listings they have because I trust them.

My understanding is during a boom time you won't get much difference between an good 1% vs a good 2.5% agent. The better one may have more experience in staging and negotiation, helping you find out what price is right and a lot of sales work (both to you about which offer to pick, finding new potential customers from far away area, help you convince bidders to up their bids, etc).

I have seen a lot of inexperienced sellers make a lot of mistakes and ended up not selling their houses for the right price, so there's that. Also the agent may have so much work he doesn't want to waste his time for a house that won't make much, and you may be better off working with a hungry agent who is just as good, it all depends.

I have worked with a 1% agent before and he said ahead of time he won't do any non legal / paper work, this way he can work with more deals and pass the saving to me but I have to stage the house myself and I have to take the consequences (if I make mistake and lost a few potential bidders), same for buying agent who won't show or find homes for me and I am just asking him to write offers. I would not recommend them to first time buyers but if you do a lot of deals and you know what you are doing then they are good for you.

I used one of the 1% discount agents when I sold my condo 4 years ago. I live in California where prices are extremely high and at the time I was selling the average time on market was 30 days.My opinion was that agents were making way too much money for very little work.

And I got what I paid for. He was just about worthless. Took a bunch of photos and put it up on the MLS service. I was seeing other condos that were literally right next to the freeway and with no garages selling rapidly while my unit in a better complex too about 60 days and underwent several price reductions. I asked the agent if he was in communication with other agents in the neighborhood and was pointing out the advantages of my property and just got a runaround answer.

I would have pocketed more money by using a more active and aggressive agent instead of a lazy one who did the bare minimum.
I will think twice before taking the budget approach again. The clown even had the gall to call me because the valve to the gas furnace was shut off as I always did at the beginning of the summer and the buyer's inspector complained that he couldn't check the furnace operation. He wanted me to make a 200 mile round trip to come and open the gas valve. Are you kidding me ?

But in a real estate market where the median price of a home is over $850k and the average time on market is only 30 days, agents aren't working very hard for their 6% and don't deserve that much of a commission.

Dwight,

Your post seems like a complete contradiction.

You used a 1%er and said “….he was just about worthless.”

Then you say “…
I would have pocketed more money by using a more active and aggressive agent instead of a lazy one who did the bare minimum.

Then you say “…agents aren’t working very hard for their 6% and don’t deserve that much of a commission.”

Hmmmm……..

Maybe split the difference next time and find a “3.5% agent?”

I had a good agent on my last sale. She had a professional photographer take the photos for the listing - they looked really good. I knew I needed carpet. She had a "guy" that did it on the side. Cheaper than anything the big boxes offered. I am sure it didn't last but it looked good at showing. She had a handyman guy that fixed a few small things they found during the buyers inspection - I had left town already so doing it myself wasn't possible. She was with the big company in the area that sold many homes, and she got my house lined up on "agent day" which is when all the selling agents tour homes that company was listing, I presume so they know which of their buyers to bring by.

So I am no expert, but if I sell again I will be interviewing the agent first to see if they have all these type of services. Now that I know what is possible, I am not paying 3% unless I get them. If I do get them its worth 3% - IMHO.

I had a good agent on my last sale. She had a professional photographer take the photos for the listing - they looked really good. I knew I needed carpet. She had a "guy" that did it on the side. Cheaper than anything the big boxes offered. I am sure it didn't last but it looked good at showing. She had a handyman guy that fixed a few small things they found during the buyers inspection - I had left town already so doing it myself wasn't possible. She was with the big company in the area that sold many homes, and she got my house lined up on "agent day" which is when all the selling agents tour homes that company was listing, I presume so they know which of their buyers to bring by.......

My guy was much the same. I got the last of everything out of the house on August 6th. He came in the next day with his "cleaning crew" and went through the place top to bottom. Cleaning carpet, pressure washing concrete, washing walls, (you won't believe the outlines pictures leave that have been hanging for 22 years).

Pulling out nails, spackling, and touch up painting. He even had a pool guy lined up to come and empty the skimmer basket daily, and check the chlorine. 3 days later everything was done, and it was photographed 11 ways to Sunday, the sign up in the front yard, and up on the market.

If it were all left up to me I wouldn't have known who to call for what. These guys all, "know someone who knows someone". Because they deal with these kind of people every day. And they can direct a lot of work their way, so they get a good price.

By Sept 12th it was sold, closed, and done. It was a great load off my mind as we were living 200 miles, and over 3 hours away. I never had to make a trip back.

For 1 percent they stick a sign in the ground and you never see them again until the close.

As the seller you pay the buyers agent also, so you will be paying him 3 percent, and paying your side 1 percent.

So you really only save 2 percent on the full transaction and you get no service.

I'd stick with a full service realtor who will get you more money and act in your interest.

When the MLS access was required with an agent you paid for that. Now you can get away with 1% on selling however your home may sell slower with the internet apps.

It all depends on local market. I would have no issue selling my home with the 1% agency because there are only three homes for sale in entire high desired town and in most desirable neighborhood.

I think it’s crazy to go cheap on a transaction of this magnitude.

You get what you pay for…

The buyer's agent shouldn't get a % of the selling price; that's a conflict of interest. The buyer's agent should get a % of what they can negotiate off seller's asking price.

And IMO, realtors are really just grossly overpiced hand holders.

The buyer's agent shouldn't get a % of the selling price; that's a conflict of interest. The buyer's agent should get a % of what they can negotiate off seller's asking price.

I'll ake exception to that comment. I have been in business for 37 years.

I have my MBA in finance and my CCIM Designation
( https://www.ccim.com/about-ccim/what-is-a-ccim/) and working towards a PhD in finance as well.

I put together complex transactions for mom and pop investors to financial instutions. My asset analysis you can take to the bank. The stores you shop at, the gas you pump and the coffee you drink are buildings and developments that people like me do on a daily basis. When banks are looking to invest their money or insurance companies looking to invest, they seek out people like me.

I no longer get involved in residentail primarily becasue of people like you who have no clue what the value of a Realtor is. Sellers who think its great for them to make a few hundred thousand in profits yet baulk at paying a few thousand in commisions make no sense to me. You would rather step over a dollar (hire realtor) to pick up a dime (DIY).

Perhaps some agents on this thread can answer a few questions for the unwashed masses like me.
For example, if the commission is 3%, how much does the agent actually get vs. what % goes to the agency he/she works for ?
I understand that they are self employed in some cases and have overhead and expenses.

Also, regarding people taking offense at others suggesting how much they should be paid, how about this scenario.
An 1800 sq. ft house in a nice neighborhood in Podunk sells for $250k. The same house in SouCal sells for close to a million dollars. Both houses sell within 30 days. Exactly how many hours did each agent put into that sale, on average ?
For discussion's sake let's say 40 hours. If the agents net 1% of the selling price the agent in Podunk made $2500 for a weeks work while the agent in SouCal made $10k for that same 40 hours work.

Can you see why sellers are incensed at how much they have to pay in commissions in a high property value, fast selling market ?
Those sellers may have a household income of $150k and think an agent who is making close to a half million dollars a year is making too much money. The sense of entitlement is why people want to fight the traditional commission structures.

Perhaps some agents on this thread can answer a few questions for the unwashed masses like me.
For example, if the commission is 3%, how much does the agent actually get vs. what % goes to the agency he/she works for ?
I understand that they are self employed in some cases and have overhead and expenses.

Also, regarding people taking offense at others suggesting how much they should be paid, how about this scenario.
An 1800 sq. ft house in a nice neighborhood in Podunk sells for $250k. The same house in SouCal sells for close to a million dollars. Both houses sell within 30 days. Exactly how many hours did each agent put into that sale, on average ?
For discussion's sake let's say 40 hours. If the agents net 1% of the selling price the agent in Podunk made $2500 for a weeks work while the agent in SouCal made $10k for that same 40 hours work.

Can you see why sellers are incensed at how much they have to pay in commissions in a high property value, fast selling market ?
Those sellers may have a household income of $150k and think an agent who is making close to a half million dollars a year is making too much money. The sense of entitlement is why people want to fight the traditional commission structures.
Agent split will depend on who they are affiliated with. On average I would say an agent gets 70% of the 1/2 commision, remember that 6% is usually split between listing and selling agent.

Home prices are a function of that areas economy. California is a whole other world but their costs and taxes are proportionate to sales prices. What I might spend to advertise a listing in FL is likely 10x more in CA.

I understand the jealousy factor with what some agents make but you need to understand that only the top 1% of agents make over $100,000 per year. I don't knoiw what making too much money means, I make between $400,000 and $500,000 per year and I've never had too much money. You can not put a price on what I do, same as some of the top residential agents. Our systems and processes are designed to be efficient and bring buyers and sellers together as quickly as possible.

A well connected and experienced agent likely has a data base full of buyers and it might take a few phone calls to get a deal done but how do you put a price tag on that? If it sits on market for 6 months instead of a month, would that make you feel better? I think I mentioned it before, how do you calculate the costs involved with driving a buyer around for several months and then them going with their buddy instead? There are no salaries in this business, all expenses come out of pocket. Its not free to advertsie anything, we pay for that.

I'll ake exception to that comment. I have been in business for 37 years.

I have my MBA in finance and my CCIM Designation
( https://www.ccim.com/about-ccim/what-is-a-ccim/) and working towards a PhD in finance as well.

I put together complex transactions for mom and pop investors to financial instutions. My asset analysis you can take to the bank. The stores you shop at, the gas you pump and the coffee you drink are buildings and developments that people like me do on a daily basis. When banks are looking to invest their money or insurance companies looking to invest, they seek out people like me.

I no longer get involved in residentail primarily becasue of people like you who have no clue what the value of a Realtor is. Sellers who think its great for them to make a few hundred thousand in profits yet baulk at paying a few thousand in commisions make no sense to me. You would rather step over a dollar (hire realtor) to pick up a dime (DIY).
The challenge out there is commissions are out of line of home pricing. Prices are 3-5x when 5-6% was comfortable. My home purchased for $350k 15 years ago is now $1m - $1.25m. It’s not 3x- 4x the work to sell it and likely less now with automations of web app workflow etc. we purchased it and web filtering was a joke at best.

In most cases your compensation is paid relative to the amount of business you bring in.
For large firms your first year compensation can be as low as 40% of the commissions you bring into the agency.

This is typically on a commission scale, in many cases evaluated every year or sooner at the agents request. Other firms its a sliding scale. A top producing agent can keep 70% or more of what they bring in. When discussing these commission splits there are a dozen variables among firms. Some full service large firm offer their agents transaction coordinators and services to keep track of your deals and follow up for you. In those cases a top producing agent maybe get 70% of the split but other firms may offer much more than that and you provide your own staff (or do it yourself.

It's not a matter of "some cases" in all cases, you have all your expenses. So right off the top reduce your commission another 12+% in Self Employment taxes then throw in vehicle, gasoline, advertising, flyers, materials, everything which are business expenses and does reduce your tax bill.

This is impossible to answer, what if it took 40 hours or 400 hours marketing to an area to get those homes? Time and money spent trying to acquire listings and sales. It's an impossible question to answer.
The agent who made $2500 might have more listings or sales than someone selling million dollar homes. Agents dont work 40 hour weeks getting paid. They can work for weeks with no income at all. One has to go by annual income and as @Tharber pointed out which I think very well maybe accurate on a national scale less than 1% of agents make over 100k a year. It's something many of the public doesnt understand. Many agents have pathetic incomes and can not provide a living wage ultimately give up.

I think, as I type this, a better way to explain this (Im being sincere) its not about sales and commissions and the time frame it takes to make a sale. It's about acquiring the business to make the sale. I was what I would call a very successful in my real estate business because I with a select few others, very few in my local office of a nationally respected local franchise as far as agent productivity. I knew going into this I had to work almost day and night to get things going because Iwas self employed in a still successful NYC business that I sold to go into real estate. I made peanuts the first year, sticking to a business plan, to market myself and create sustainable working model.

It's ok to fight commission, truly, that has gone on for over 50 years. I could care less what someone might think, if they dont want me, fine, trust me, there was/is always someone willing to take a cut in pay. Just like they cut their own pay, they will cut their sellers down anyway they can because they have no self respect or passion for what they do.

If you dont like my rate, why get upset? Why get jealous? Get someone else if you dont want what I offer.
Truly, I can not tell you how many times I have been approached by either an agent (most often) or homeowner (rarely) trying to make a sale, asking me to split a reduction of my listing commission with the selling agent. Many of these agents are part timers or just less experienced or no self esteem. This is 100% true what I am about to say.

When asked by another agent or a (rarely) homeowner if I will split with the other agent a reduction of $$$ in my commission, as polite and fluid I can possible explain it is, my reply, exactly like this just respectfully flowed off the tip of my tongue "Thats not going to happen"
typically that ended the conversation but lets say it was a phone call from another agent and they pressed further I would come out with "Im not going to take income away from my family and give it to someone else" I mean, why?

Hope this helps! I got to get going! This was completely written in a sincere way. Hope it makes sense, I spent way too long on it! *LOL*

BTW- another true story, I truly worked hard for my homeowners, other agents would comment that they would use me if they sold their homes because I do what I say. Although what I typed above may sound cold, my homeowners really liked me and I them. I can not tell you how many awards I got for that due to corporate customer followup. I shave even had a case where people trusted me so much and liked me that if I had my own buyer on one of my listings a couple times they took my buyer over another that offered more money (not kidding) some of these people were wealthy and didnt care about a few thousand dollars.
This whole commission stuff is social media stuff and from our own industry cut rate commission firms unable to stand on their own two feet, not knowing what they are doing, the one thing they can do to get business is cut their fees. Good for them!

Even those people the few I met that went that way came back to me regretting their decision. I loved what I did, I found just treating people like people, consulting with them truly made a name for myself on its own. Caught on like wildfire without cutting my fee.
The only reason I got out was to move out of NYS, if it's not evident, I do miss it at times when I think about it, it grew so much and so fast local long established competition didnt know what hit them, and the key was to be honest with people.

I was starting to burn myself being so busy so didnt miss it as much once we moved out of state. I dont regret leaving, not at all but I was at a good place at the time.

Last edited:
@Tharber

Curious what you think about the conflict of interest posted below?

I can see @zzyzzx point. When I bought my house, my agent was trying to convince me it's a good price and felt like she was not on my side. Long story short, I think I negotiated about $15K down even though my agent was against it and wanted me to accept the price and close the deal asap ...

In general, you would think that both seller/buyer agents want to close the deal as quickly and move on to the next house ... Wonder who is protecting the buyer?

Let's say if I'm asking a little too much for my house now, what's the incentive for the buyer agent to say no or to talk the buyer out of it? Unless we assume everyone involved is %100 honest and ethical which is not a very common thing in business transactions!

Even as far as the seller, seems like the seller agent doesn't mind a little softer/lower price either just to sell it easily and quickly. One of my co-workers I talked to sold his house for $20K more than what his agent wanted to list. Agent told him no but he disagreed ... and house was sold within 3 weeks.

Seems like as a buyer or seller, you have to do your homework and be very involved and not leave everything up to the agents. No?

Last edited:
It is in every agents best interest to obtain the highest selling price. Why? They make more money that way. Now there is a fine line between selling at what the market will bare versus satisfiying a client who thinks their house is worth more than the market will bare.

I think the buyers agent and sellers agent has long been skewed. Typically the agent that lists your home will act as a single agent, or perhaps a transaction broker. THe buyers agent will do the same. That simnply means they are only representing one part of the transaction.

A single agents duties are as follows:
  • Dealing honestly and fairly
  • Loyalty
  • Confidentiality
  • Obedience
  • Full disclosure
  • Accounting for all funds
  • Skill, care, and diligence in the transaction
  • Presenting all offers and counteroffers in a timely manner, unless a party has previously directed the licensee otherwise in writing
  • Disclosing all known facts that materially affect the value of residential real property and are not readily observable
A transaction brokers duties are as follows:
  • Dealing honestly and fairly
  • Accounting for all funds
  • Using skill, care, and diligence in the transaction
  • Disclosing all known facts that materially affect the value of residential real property and are not readily observable to the buyer
  • Presenting all offers and counteroffers in a timely manner, unless a party has previously directed the licensee otherwise in writing
  • Limited confidentiality, unless waived in writing by a party, that prevents disclosure of the motivation of any party for selling or buying property, any party’s willingness to agree to financing terms other than those offered, or of any other information requested to remain confidential
  • Any additional duties that are mutually agreed to with a party
Now here is the rub. This agency is only meant for the broker, not the sales person. In FL salespeople work under a broker who is in charge. Lets assume agent A lists a home for sale as a single agent. If agent B in that office is working with a buyer that wants information, legally the broker would have to send notice to the seller that they are transitioning to a transaction broker, that allows anyone in his/her office to show the property.

A buyers broker agreement is an employment contract that an agent will use in order to trap his/her buyer into only using him/her as they are contyractually bound to pay the buyers agent $xxxxx. I do not care for this agreement because in my opinion if my agent is doing their job, they're going to get the sale no matter what. A weak agent gets worried about loosing their buyer to another agent, etc.

In FL there are several other ways to operate but I will not confuse this post with all of that.

A good agent will provide you with comps as to what the home is worth, no matter what side he/she is on. I do not make offers for clients unless I know whats its worth and can prove it and I will not list property without knowing whats its worth. On all sides the home is going to have to appraise. Taking a SWAG rarely if ever works, no matter what the market.

So back to the question: is a buyers agent really going to save you money? Probably not. 10 or 15 yrs ago maybe but todays modern real estate agent really has zero negotiating skills and are selling real estate in between soap operas and picking up the kids from school. This is going to apply to those 99%.

The best way in my opinion is to just find an agent you like when selling, interview 3 or 4 and find the one that you vibe with the best and ignore commision rates. If you are looking for property, the same thing applies. Find an experienced agent that knows the area well and let them do their job. It is almost impossible to be an expert of every location, so be weary of that. If you have zeroed in on a particulair community, find an agent that is doing all the buiness in that area. When I owned my residential firm, I lived in a comminuty with 137 homes. I sold about 65 of those and some more than once. No one knew the community better than I did. Look for agents that have been in buiness more than a few days, they can send you searches of inventory that you can look at and pick what you want. You are not bound to them even if they send you listings. Also if your state allows it, insist that your agent presents your offer in person. That's right, make them sit down and present the offer with his/her agent to the seller. Write a story about you and your family and why you like their home and why you are making an offer. It might make the difference, might not.

I see the points that those who are real estate agents are making. And I understand that they get offended when someone suggests that they are making too much and they go on to detail what their expenses are and how only 1% of them make over $100k and yada yada.

But here is my point. In a hot real estate market where average home prices are a million dollars, time on market is short and sellers often receive multiple offers above the asking price, the Mafia-like extortion or union-like price fixing by real estate agents who want to stick to the traditional commission structure is a market practice that needs to be crushed.

Why do agents who are putting a very limited amount of work into a sale think they are entitled to hitchhike upon the equity that the seller has in their home ? The homeowner made the payments, likely at great sacrifice and at a very high percentage of their income. They paid the taxes, They may have sweat equity in the form of improvements to the home.

There are markets where the home prices were increasing more than 12% a year. But the homeowners were lucky to be getting a 3% cost of living raise each year. So they are fortunate that their investment in their home is offering a good return.

But the real estate agent thinks they deserve a raise that is many multiples of the inflation rate just because the inflation on the home is many times the inflation rate. Their only skin in the game is the time they put in on the actual sale.

I'd like to see some large real estate company take over the market in such areas and force the commission rates down.
The homeowners are the ones who deserve the lions share of the profits. On a million dollar sale, if both the sellers agent and buyers agent get 70% of the 3% commission, the seller has to give up $42,000 to them (well, actually $60k including the cut that the agent's office gets) for a couple of dozen hours worth of work ? Really ? That's Harvard lawyer money. And in my opinion is not justified nor deserved.

Last edited:
I see the points that those who are real estate agents are making. And I understand that they get offended when someone suggests that they are making too much and they go on to detail what their expenses are and how only 1% of them make over $100k and yada yada.

But here is my point. In a hot real estate market where average home prices are a million dollars, time on market is short and sellers often receive multiple offers above the asking price, the Mafia-like extortion or union-like price fixing by real estate agents who want to stick to the traditional commission structure is a market practice that needs to be crushed.

Why do agents who are putting a very limited amount of work into a sale think they are entitled to hitchhike upon the equity that the seller has in their home ? The homeowner made the payments, likely at great sacrifice and at a very high percentage of their income. They paid the taxes, They may have sweat equity in the form of improvements to the home.

There are markets where the home prices were increasing more than 12% a year. But the homeowners were lucky to be getting a 3% cost of living raise each year. So they are fortunate that their investment in their home is offering a good return.

But the real estate agent thinks they deserve a raise that is many multiples of the inflation rate just because the inflation on the home is many times the inflation rate. Their only skin in the game is the time they put in on the actual sale.

I'd like to see some large real estate company take over the market in such areas and force the commission rates down.
The homeowners are the ones who deserve the lions share of the profits. On a million dollar sale, if both the sellers agent and buyers agent get 70% of the 3% commission, the seller has to give up $42,000 to them (well, actually $60k including the cut that the agent's office gets) for a couple of dozen hours worth of work ? Really ? That's Harvard lawyer money. And in my opinion is not justified nor deserved.
Just in case you read my very long post. Im in no way offended. Im not sure why anyone on earth would be upset by your posts, truly and sincerely I mean that.
You're not someone who would want to use an agent. Nothing changed in the history of mankind regarding all occupations where people can not understand an industry right down to the plumber you hire.

You wont change anything because the costs are of selling a home are there if you choose to use someone. Most people chose too.
BTW we are a free people, free country, you are not forced to use anyone to see your home except maybe a title company.

Your statements of "mafia like extortion" shows your ignorance of our country and the law using a statement like that. No one has to use an agent. You really have a chip on your shoulders for people who make something of their lives it seems.

The mafia part would be forcing someone to work for a wage you think appropriate. It's so out of wack Im for one, speechless that you want to determine what people should get paid, that is mafia/dictatorship! They dont even do that in China! Maybe North Korea?
Man, your posts are scary!

*LOL* Im truly beside myself so much, that it's at the point of stupid to continue. Maybe you want to govern how much money Taylor Swift makes and how much her concert tickets cost for singing songs anyone can!
While we are at it, those public stadiums where players make 10s of millions a year playing with a ball and their "corporations" make 10s of billions of tax free money! *LOL*
Good lord, I love my free country, sounds like you want it to be something else.

Last edited:
Perhaps it was a bit of an exagerration calling the real estate agent structure "Mafia like", but it is almost impossible to buy or sell a home in California without using one. They are highly protective of their business and do anything to keep people from doing a FSBO transaction.

My point is this: I have no issues with a good agent making $75-$100 per hour for their time. Plumbers charge $100 just to show up and most auto repair shops charge $85 per hour for labor and up. But when for example a seller's agent makes a commission of $20,000 for about 40 hours of work simply because the average price of a home is so out of whack plus the seller has to pay a similar mount to the buyer's agent, something is wrong.

There should be a declining, sliding scale when the home price exceeds say $500K ? Are the agents really working harder in SouCal than they are in the midwest where homes are averaging $250k ? I seriously doubt it. And I think the homeowner deserves the lion's share of the sale proceeds.

I am not one for government interference in the free market but it sure seems like the private companies aren't stepping up to the plate and offering better choices in how to sell a home.

Back