READ PLEASE! 5w20 vs 5w30 engine life? opinions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Besides everyone knows the car companies tell you to use 5w20 so their engines blow to pieces I own a rather large engine rebuilding company and i use that in my cars because i cant wait to rebuild my engines also.

quick...show me where I've EVER used the blow to pieces strawman...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That really has to be one of the most trollish, dumbest posts you have ever made.

Please.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If they can import entire cars to these locations, they could throw a case of xW-20 in the boot if they felt that it was genuinely good for the vehicle and owner.

I think it makes sense. Look at it this way. If the auto maker felt 0W20 was the very best oil for their engine, and the only grade that could be used, seeing that in many US owners manuals like mine they only state one grade of oil and no other options. Even talking directly with the automaker they state only one option or else you risk jeopardizing the warranty if you have an oil related failure. Why let them use another grade down under if it could shorten engine life? Or is it they don't care about exports down under? OTOH I guess its easier to be a hypocrite and write another owners manual for down under which is probably the case there. It's also cheaper and easier than packing oil in the trunk. They also won't be jeopardizing their warranty if they follow their OM. Bottom line, I doubt a 30 grade oil in an engine calling for 20 grade oil is going to have any negative impact whatsoever.

Not sure what the debate here is exactly but for a 2003/4 Holden Commodore 3800 V6 Buick engine the recommended grade is 5w-30 as the regular fill.

If 5w-30 is not available a 10w-40 or other and if it was in the snow a 15w-40 or 20w-50 grade is recommended.

Go figure. What is the hair splitting about a ??w-30 as temporary fill ?

Too much sugar in the festive season ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I have no problem using a 20 grade when specified, but a couple of posters have raised a valid point. Why is it any more difficult for Castrol, SOPUS, or Exxon-Mobil to ship 20 grades to the places all over the world to which they already ship 5w30, 10w40, or 20w50?

I'll try to answer again, when I say "you" not necessarily directed at you personally:

Many OM call for 30/40 in hotter climates of the NA while recommending 5w-20/30 in "traditional" NA "4 season" conditions.

In tropical or "hotter" conditions, without a traditional 4 season climate similar to the NA, heavier oils have historically been used, 10w-30 may even be considered "light" oils those countries.

Subaru (hypothetical example) may sell 5 cars Inew or used), shipped to Costa Rica per year, if that. And maybe 1 million in North America (NA).

So some want the solution to be to ship 5w-30 to Costa Rica , so those 5 cars use the same oil as recommended in the US for fuel savings? Maybe storing it in the trunk(LOL try getting past customs at the port! You can't even take a dog or cat to Hawaii without 1 month of solitary and tests, and that's staying in the US).

Or should they simply use 10w-30 or heavier like a 20/40 weight, also allowed in Subaru's non-T 2010 and earlier? And already available in that hypothetical county/example? To a great degree widely available there already...

It makes zero sense to ship that oil getting around taxes/laws/regulations for so little gain. And will be very costly. Publicly traded Corporations ONLY care about revenue & profits, its called fiduciary duty between officers of the corporation and stockholders. everything else is secondary at best.

Now factor in regulations, import taxes, supply chain, shipping costs? How about laws requiring oil to be refined in a region or country? Open a refinery? For what purpose?

The burden is in on OEM car manufacturers to make an engine that works with oils in all regions. Or different engines in same/similar bodies. If 5w-30 is recommended on engine A in Mexico, and you want to use it in the US where 5w-20 is recommended, go ahead. Its your car and warranty The ECU mappings may differ, but probably to minimal degree if at all. I wouldn't do that but to each his own.

I don't know what this issue really is...but I can't imagine people think its some "grand conspiracy" to keep 5w-20 out of counties that have no need for it. Do they? It seems some do.

The US does have a need for it, -> fuel economy , even small %, times 100 million cars, is a big deal. And after over a decade of use, 20 weight has caused no harm in engines getting many hundreds of thousands of miles put on them, many hundreds of millions of miles total. If you don't want to use it because you believe the Illuminati are conspiring against you, then don't use it.

As for "better protection" of a 30 weight, most 30's sheer to 20 weight anyway, but if it makes you sleep better, go for it.

Take an extreme example, there is a reason everyone in Cuba is driving a 60 year old classic car. And its not CAFE standards....but whatever, instead lets pretend the Illuminati is coming with their CAFE standards!!!!!

How about another example...why doesn't everyone in the world use the same plugs as the US!!! The Illuminati is forcing their US based plugs down our throats!!!!

*sigh*

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
I have no problem using a 20 grade when specified, but a couple of posters have raised a valid point. Why is it any more difficult for Castrol, SOPUS, or Exxon-Mobil to ship 20 grades to the places all over the world to which they already ship 5w30, 10w40, or 20w50?

I'll try to answer again, when I say "you" not necessarily directed at you personally:

Many OM call for 30/40 in hotter climates of the NA while recommending 5w-20/30 in "traditional" NA "4 season" conditions.

In tropical or "hotter" conditions, without a traditional 4 season climate similar to the NA, heavier oils have historically been used, 10w-30 may even be considered "light" oils those countries.

Subaru (hypothetical example) may sell 5 cars Inew or used), shipped to Costa Rica per year, if that. And maybe 1 million in North America (NA).

So some want the solution to be to ship 5w-30 to Costa Rica , so those 5 cars use the same oil as recommended in the US for fuel savings? Maybe storing it in the trunk(LOL try getting past customs at the port! You can't even take a dog or cat to Hawaii without 1 month of solitary and tests, and that's staying in the US).

Or should they simply use 10w-30 or heavier like a 20/40 weight, also allowed in Subaru's non-T 2010 and earlier? And already available in that hypothetical county/example? To a great degree widely available there already...

It makes zero sense to ship that oil getting around taxes/laws/regulations for so little gain. And will be very costly. Publicly traded Corporations ONLY care about revenue & profits, its called fiduciary duty between officers of the corporation and stockholders. everything else is secondary at best.

Now factor in regulations, import taxes, supply chain, shipping costs? How about laws requiring oil to be refined in a region or country? Open a refinery? For what purpose?

The burden is in on OEM car manufacturers to make an engine that works with oils in all regions. Or different engines in same/similar bodies. If 5w-30 is recommended on engine A in Mexico, and you want to use it in the US where 5w-20 is recommended, go ahead. Its your car and warranty The ECU mappings may differ, but probably to minimal degree if at all. I wouldn't do that but to each his own.

I don't know what this issue really is...but I can't imagine people think its some "grand conspiracy" to keep 5w-20 out of counties that have no need for it. Do they? It seems some do.

The US does have a need for it, -> fuel economy , even small %, times 100 million cars, is a big deal. And after over a decade of use, 20 weight has caused no harm in engines getting many hundreds of thousands of miles put on them, many hundreds of millions of miles total. If you don't want to use it because you believe the Illuminati are conspiring against you, then don't use it.

As for "better protection" of a 30 weight, most 30's sheer to 20 weight anyway, but if it makes you sleep better, go for it.

Take an extreme example, there is a reason everyone in Cuba is driving a 60 year old classic car. And its not CAFE standards....but whatever, instead lets pretend the Illuminati is coming with their CAFE standards!!!!!

How about another example...why doesn't everyone in the world use the same plugs as the US!!! The Illuminati is forcing their US based plugs down our throats!!!!

*sigh*

Interesting read, good points. Here's another way to look at it: Why should an automaker go through all that extra effort or even concern themselves if 20 grade oil is hard to get outside the US. All they have to do is reprint a few pages of an owners manual for those markets. They already know the oil available elsewhere is fine. Even with a different grade of oil for a different continent they'll still honor the warranty if you live outside of the USA.

What I've learned here is a 30 grade oil is not going to damage an engine calling for a 20 grade oil. An easy way to check is to compare what your vehicle uses in the USA and what it uses in OZ, if the grade is different it is a safe bet the OZ grade oil will also work in the USA. Warranty? Well there's always the risk if you have an oil related issue you maybe sent home packing. Bottom line if you're worried stick with the recommended grade oil.

Happy New Year everyone!

Saying that the manufacturers should put cases of oil in the trunk reeks of common sense? Are you kidding?

I was mostly commenting on the statement "if they felt that it was genuinely good for the vehicle and owner". Even if they did - which is irrelevant in this instance - they are not going to put cases of oil in the trunk. A high quality wax is good for your paint but they don't put that in the trunk either.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
That really has to be one of the most trollish, dumbest posts you have ever made.

Please.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If they can import entire cars to these locations, they could throw a case of xW-20 in the boot if they felt that it was genuinely good for the vehicle and owner.

Is that because it reeks of common sense???

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
quick everyone there are about 60% of the cars using 5w20 on the roads so if you have to be at work at 8am start walking now because tomorrow there will be millions of cars all over the place not being able to move.

Besides everyone knows the car companies tell you to use 5w20 so their engines blow to pieces I own a rather large engine rebuilding company and i use that in my cars because i cant wait to rebuild my engines also.
wanna know the truth? 5w20 is thinner so it gets to places in the engine faster it runs cooler and it lubes the valve guides better there are a few other reasons to use it if your engine requires it. 5w20 has been around a long time now and engines are lasting a long long time.

I used MC 5W20 in my engine it's 1st 88K miles, with a 5W30 OCI here and there. Then, I became disabled and started using whatever oil was on sale. A lot of times I would find 5W30 on clearance and would buy it. And, 5W30 was also given to me in some instances.
I don't see what the big deal is. If an engine, like mine, was originally spec'd 5W30 and is now spec'd 5W20, what harm is 5W30 going to do to it? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I don't see what the big deal is. If an engine, like mine, was originally spec'd 5W30 and is now spec'd 5W20, what harm is 5W30 going to do to it? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
cool.gif

Blue - IMHO, I do not think the big deal is about 5W-30; it is about xW-20. Somehow, 5W-30 is "tried and true" and needs no introduction or "credentials". xW-20 on the other hand is seen as a government mandate, is too thin to run in engines that have been either specified or back specified for it (despite any testing that may have been done--i.e. Ford). It also somehow will reduce the life of the engine in which it is run, whereas 5W-30 will extend the life. Are there statistics either way? IDK...at honestly at this point, IDC...this grows excessively weary. Like I said before, once xW-16 hits the market, we will have a new item to dispute/argue and this subject will fade into the distance.

Ford disproved in the Death Valley torture test there is anywhere on earth where the ambient temperature proscribes the use of 20 grade oils. Heavier oils used to be the norm in the US as well. We made the transition to lighter oils. Why do you think people in other countries can't make the same transition?

How many cars sold in Costa Rica, and everywhere else in the world, have the same engine that calls for 20 grade in the US? I'd bet it is most of them.

You don't really think lighter oils are just for fuel savings do you? What do dogs and cats have to do with anything? Are cases of oil of any grade that are already being shipped worldwide being held in quarantine anywhere in the world?

They should ship 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30 instead of 10W30 or 20W40. Then those grades would already be available in that hypothetical country.

The oil companies already ship oil to Costa Rica and every other corner of the earth in accordance with local regulations, laws and taxes. I don't believe countries have different regulations for 20 grade versus the others. Nor do I think the oil companies earn less profit or incur greater expense because a case is stamped 20 instead of 30 or 40.

There is no "need" for 5W20 anywhere, but there are benefits in using it that apply everywhere.

There are other well documented benefits to using 20 over heavier oils besides fuel economy, and they apply everywhere. Just focusing on fuel savings though, how much more fuel could be saved world wide if the motors spec'ed for 20 grade in the US used it everywhere else that motor was used?

*sigh*

You aren't making any arguments that haven't been made on here many, many times before.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
cool.gif

Blue - IMHO, I do not think the big deal is about 5W-30; it is about xW-20. Somehow, 5W-30 is "tried and true" and needs no introduction or "credentials". xW-20 on the other hand is seen as a government mandate, is too thin to run in engines that have been either specified or back specified for it (despite any testing that may have been done--i.e. Ford). It also somehow will reduce the life of the engine in which it is run, whereas 5W-30 will extend the life. Are there statistics either way? IDK...at honestly at this point, IDC...this grows excessively weary. Like I said before, once xW-16 hits the market, we will have a new item to dispute/argue and this subject will fade into the distance.

Well said Sir.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, why not XW-18?
21.gif

Well said Sir.
thumbsup2.gif
BTW, why not XW-18?
21.gif

Here is a bit of information on it:

""If we continued to count down from SAE 20 to 15 to 10, etc., we would be facing continuing customer confusion issues with popular low-temperature viscosity grades such as SAE 10W, SAE 5W, and SAE 0W," he noted. "By choosing to call the new viscosity grade SAE 16, we established a precedent for future grades, counting down by fours instead of fives: SAE 12, SAE 8, SAE 4.""

Taken from - SAE Codifies New Oil Viscosities

If we think we have something to talk about now...just WAIT until SAE 4 or 8 hits the market
smirk.gif
whistle.gif

Saying that the manufacturers should put cases of oil in the trunk reeks of common sense? Are you kidding?

Nope not at all...

While in the real world it may not be practical to ship with the vehicle, if a xW-20 grade were truly required the mfgrs would have a system in place to assure the proper oil were available...

One word... CAFE

Nope not at all...

While in the real world it may not be practical to ship with the vehicle, if a xW-20 grade were truly required the mfgrs would have a system in place to assure the proper oil were available...

One word... CAFE

I agree, I just don't want to mention the "C" word.

Here are three uoa's from one of our own members, the most recent using 5w-20 dino, the previous two, 5w-30 dino. 156,000 miles on the odo. The manufacturer spec for this vehicle is 5w-20. For this application it does not appear any harm was done using 5w-30, at least from what you can tell from a uoa. Not sure what was used for the first 140,000 miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2563664/1

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nope not at all...

One word... CAFE

In my case, where my engines tolerances and clearances had not changed in its 11 year production, do you think it was CAFE reasons as to why Ford spec'd 5W20, and also back spec'd 5W20, even though it was originally spec'd 5W30?

You aren't making any arguments that haven't been made on here many, many times before.

So your argument is that, without any cost and little benefit, corporations should mandate all 6 billion people on planet Earth should drop the steady supply of oil for the majority of their automobiles on the road, to accommodate the new automobiles coming to them , and do so immediately, and there will be no cost to do so, to anyone. OK....

Question: How much international travel, outside of the US , Mexico and Canada do you do? How many contracts with foreign governments and corporations have you negotiated? How many were signed and implemented? I do so regularly in Central/South America, not for oil, but its irrelevant on the product or service (some of the time).

In Chile a different, more European (in fact identical IIRC), outlet/plug is used. I bring an adapter with me when I travel there on business. I've got an idea! Why not convert them all over the the plug more common in the US and Canada! We can do so without cost, plugs already exist there! Every electronic device in service should do so now. All future imports should do so as well! Seem ridiculous?

This is what you are saying. Its hilarious. They use something else, the manufacturer (be it car or electronic device) need to meet the standards of the region.

Did you know the TVs in Europe don't use the same refresh rate as TV's in the US?

Hint: Sony/Samsung etc make different TVs for use in Europe and North America. The [censored]!

I bring up Dogs and Cats and flying them to Hawaii to point out the complexities of hiding products in trunks. Its one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, unless you are a cocaine smuggler. Countries and states have these things called "laws" and "regulations". You can skip them and try to skirt past customs, or spend a boat load of cash to setup new contracts to import new products and pay massive taxes on those products. For little to no gain.

For example, the $400(in the US) PS4 costs $2000 in Brazil. Why? Taxes. Import taxes. If you assemble your product there it would cost consumers less. Microsoft does it with their Xbox to make the price more attractive. To do this with oil you would need to refine it there. Of course there is no cost to a corporation to do that, right? And massive benefit, right? No there is massive cost and little benefit. That is why its not done "overnight" , it will take decades.

Hint: Importing new types of oil is not the same as importing the same grade of oil already in use with an existing license/contract/bribe. Neither is refining it in another region of the globe. They are different products with different SKUs etc.

If a car runs fine on 10w-30 in Brazil (example) why "change the world overnight" to have them start using 5w-20?

Heck, its not even the only oil weight used in the US, last chart I saw 30w still more popular. By a large margin.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nope not at all...

One word... CAFE

In my case, where my engines tolerances and clearances had not changed in its 11 year production, do you think it was CAFE reasons as to why Ford spec'd 5W20, and also back spec'd 5W20, even though it was originally spec'd 5W30?

There was no doubt a two fold reason...

One - There was CAFE credit given for prior years that had speced 5W-30(three years I believe)..

Second it would tell the general public if earlier models can use the 5W-20 it's OK(and of course generally it is)...

This is what you are saying. Its hilarious. They use something else, the manufacturer (be it car or electronic device) need to meet the standards of the region.

Did you know the TVs in Europe don't use the same refresh rate as TV's in the US?

!Hint: Sony/Samsung etc make different TVs for use in Europe and North America. The [censored]

Soo what's your point??? Their TV system is a different standard at least partially dictated by the 220v, 50Hz current used in Europe... Not comparable by a long shot and certinaly not the same as different oil speced for the same US engine when used in their country...

There was no doubt a two fold reason...

One - There was CAFE credit given for prior years that had speced 5W-30(three years I believe)..

Second it would tell the general public if earlier models can use the 5W-20 it's OK(and of course generally it is)...

Yeah, I kind of figured CAFE was the reason.
When I owned my 97 F150 with the 4.2L V6 I would use 5W30 and 10W30 in it without ANY issues. I sold it to a friend. It has over 260K miles and he uses anything from 5W30 to 20W50 in it, without ANY problems.

!Hint: Sony/Samsung etc make different TVs for use in Europe and North America. The [censored]

Soo what's your point??? Their TV system is a different standard at least partially dictated by the 220v, 50Hz current used in Europe... Not comparable by a long shot and certinaly not the same as different oil speced for the same US engine when used in their country...

My point is that the standard used in a given country needs to be met by the manufacturer shipping product to said country.

Always has been, always will be.

Seems some people want the manufacturer of a car, to change ALL existing oil standards in ALL countries around the world and do so immediately. They fail to grasp that the car company and oil company are different entities with different sometimes conflicting goals.

It's just like asking Sony to change broadcast standards in Europe to match North America for TV's they ship to Europe. What the [censored] do they have to do with each other? Its ludicrous.

Hilarious, especially when some of the same people think there is no cost, no effort, otherwise if not done immediately and overnight it must be part of some grand conspiracy theory.

Why bother understanding the complexities ? Just make [censored] up and blame the Iluminati (or whatever), its easier and satisfies a base desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back