Re-Installing A Used Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Experts,

Can an oil filter (Honda OEM, Toyo Roki, for my motorcycle) used only for 225 miles for about 1 month, then taken off, the oil drained from it, and stored in a sealed platic bags for about 4 months, be re-installed ?

I'm thinking it is ok, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the responses,

RevRider

Yep! Done it a few times. I did a filter test on a used filter from another member. It had 9k on it. No worries.

Are you shipping/storing the bike and need to remove the oil from it??

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the note - I thought it would be ok to do, and good to hear someone else had done it.

No, I am not storing it, just getting ready to do an oil change on the Valk, and hated to throw away what I thought might still be a very usable filter.

I am going to post the UOA as soon as I get it back from Blackstone. I am having tested the Rotella, 5w/40 syn.

RevRider

It's a solid oil ..I don't know how it works in bike engines ..but it's great in my jeeps.

I'm not familiar with your filter. Most should handle a good bit of mileage ..they do in passenger care engines ...many ..many miles longer then most put them through.

A gasket takes a compression set.

Removing a filter and reusing it after it has been stored is doable. Not recommended due to having a filter with "used contaminant" already in place.

Just make sure you check for leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back