"Raw" water is now a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy water out of the tap in my region

Said to be some of the best tap water in the world

That being said, a whole house filter isn't a bad idea, and the ones on the fridges for the water/ice dispenser do clog up after a while

Water has a big impact on the food that's made with it

Soda (Manhattan Special) out of a fountain just isn't the same anywhere else

I suspect, like most fads, this one will eventually go mainstream, then die out

Seems to be the lifecycle

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I enjoy tap water.
Every day.
Cincinnati (and Hamilton, OH) has one of the best public water systems in the country.

If they can pull that off considering where it comes from (Ohio River) it's good enough for me.

Hamilton's municipal water system is supplied with wells, the same ones that supply the Butler County system.
The water seems very good out of the tap and is rarely chlorinated enough so that you notice it.
It does seem fairly high in calcium, but you'd expect that given that this is a limestone area and you can find limestone fossils just digging in your yard.
Ever since the Cincinnati Water Works put in their activated charcoal filter system, our water has been great. Considering what gets into the Ohio River, we need all the help we can get!

"RAW Water"! As opposed to cooked and processed water that has lost it's nutrient content.
lol.gif
Those poor hipsters, so baited.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You should check the pH of your water after its been through all that. Guaranteed to be a low pH which is bad.

Pretty sure they keep a tight control on pH around here. They wouldn't want to mess around with the 120+ year old pipe infrastructure.
32.gif

Speaking of pH, I use distilled water for my potable needs. There is a lot of fear mongering by people that don't understand that distilled water is bad because it's acidic and lacks minerals. To address the minerals bit this covers it:
Originally Posted By: Rand
one 8oz glass of orange juice has the minerals of 30gal of mineral water.

Water should never be your primary source for minerals.

About the acidity, the concern is that distilled, deionized water is so pure that CO2 just from the atmosphere will dissolve in it and form carbonic acid. The issue isn't the acidity of the water per se, but the dissolved CO2 within it. It's a common process, why should it be more alarming than when it happens in your blood plasma? Excess CO2 in your blood plasma reacts with the water and forms carbonic acid in the same way, which drives down the pH. Happens all the time, no big deal. I run it though a carbon block anyway which eliminates the concern of dissolved gasses.

Just another way to get gullible folks to part with their money.

I have a seasonal spring on my ranch in Texas. It only flows Feb-May, but I pump and store 12,000 gallons of it every year. I have had it tested for everything and it's 100% safe (just a little calcium, lots of limestone here).

All my other water is rainwater. I bathe in it, do my laundry with it, even drink it - all untreated. I collect water from almost 3,000 sq ft of " Galvalume " metal roofing.

Approx 30" of rain a year nets me 50,000 gallons of water (more than I can use).

I pity the fools who are stuck paying $60 or more a money for garbage water.

we couldn't get the CO for our house without getting the well water tested. Had to send it to the health department and everything.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Just another way to get gullible folks to part with their money.

Its more like just another way websites get clicks by letting people a chance to feel superior and smaaarta than rubes and other people that may or may not exist.

Town put fluoride in a little over a decade ago, when the kids were at that age that the USDA recommends that they be given bottled water in formula (not that they ever had formula). THey installed it at 1.5ppm, instead of the new at the time recommended 0.75ppm, in a region that already HAS a fair but in the water. And the monkeys that run the water plant at the time were already in strife for messing up the chlorination and discolouring people and their clothes over the years...can't trust them. (Turns out that they had four fluoride exceedances in the first 18 months, but as usual, nothing to see here, they were legally allowed to not disclose the results).

That, and we've got thallium in the water, but water guidelines don't test for thallium, so they don't report it.

So we had bottled water...still cooked with tap water.

New place, there's heaps of roof, and there was a tank pout back, so cleaned it all out and that's what we drink and cook with.

Drinking water goes into one of these.

https://www.stefani.com.au/frequently-asked-questions

My kids in hot weather drink literally a gallon if they are tearing around outside, versus the target audience sucking on soda watching the tube.

This isn't a fad.

It's purely marketing, hoping to create a fad.

This is being pitched by the guy behind the failed Juicero machine. He was hoping that people would spend $8+ each on a pouch of fruit that could be automatically juiced by a $$$ machine -- one that would read the pouch barcode and refuse to crush any but those supplied by the company.

Part of that scheme was the claim that juice squeezed seconds before drinking was healthier, despite no scientific evidence of that.

Hmmm, doesn't that sound a little like the 'Live Water' claim?

Part of the scam nature of the Juicero was that they used the cheapest juice-grade fruit, and didn't want to discard any of it. Combined with wanting a longer shelf and shipping life, it wasn't quite ripe. So it generally needed to be pre-pulped before being put into the pouches or the machine couldn't crush it. So the end users were getting mediocre pre-squeezed juice at a super-premium price.

I'm gonna start a bottled water company that only sells water derived from melt run off of the purest mountain snow. I expect it to be the Next Big Thing with the snowflake crowd.
laugh.gif

I'll be posting UOA's from OCI's of a new Ferrari once the profits starts rolling in...

This answered my "what will they think of next?" question. There's are huge differences in "raw" water, private well water, municipal well water, and municipal surface water.

Drinking "raw" water is asking for trouble, much like unpasteurized milk. Even people that go into the wilderness for months at a time have a portable filter they use before consuming "raw" water. Thinking it will do anything for you other than making you ill are wrong and silly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I enjoy tap water.
Every day.
Cincinnati (and Hamilton, OH) has one of the best public water systems in the country.

If they can pull that off considering where it comes from (Ohio River) it's good enough for me.

Hamilton's municipal water system is supplied with wells, the same ones that supply the Butler County system.
The water seems very good out of the tap and is rarely chlorinated enough so that you notice it.
It does seem fairly high in calcium, but you'd expect that given that this is a limestone area and you can find limestone fossils just digging in your yard.

I seem to recall that the water works used to shut off the inlets periodically when a Carbon Tetrachloride spill was headed downriver...they would wait for it to pass and then start up the pumps again...yuck.

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/20/archiv...ing-faster.html

Never ceases to amaze me that people load their grocery carts up with bottled water when the water coming into their home is just as good if not better. Carrying around a bottle of water and sucking on it every five minutes seems to go right along with the cell phone mania. Can't keep from checking that phone for five minutes. I guess they are expecting the Donald to call with the latest nonsens.

for all the high and mighty crowd saying these people are rubes wasting money theres about 50% of the people in this forun thst put in fancy oils ans fancy oil filters even though they are not required and any spec approved oil is good enough. Theres a whole subforum for putting non required fuel additives in. Theres another subsection for oil additives. autorx was the darling here for a long while.

everytime a noob posts about his new car there is at leasr 25% of the respondants telling him to drain his oil 4times before 15k miles otherwise his engine is going to die.

All this for just a hunk of metal possession that can be replaced.

People in glass houses...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
THey installed it at 1.5ppm, instead of the new at the time recommended 0.75ppm, in a region that already HAS a fair but in the water.

Oh that is nasty, I'd be quite irked by the new mandate, let alone those concentrations.
Remember, the fluorides added to water systems aren't "medical grade" or anything like that either, it's quite literally the wastes from smoke stack scrubbers and the like, including all the other contaminants.

Water fluoridation just drives the medical, dental and psychiatric industry patronage something fierce....

The only time I ever bought "bottled water" was jugs of spring water for my Betta fish. One of my males lived over 7 years. But for me,tap water all the way!!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'm gonna start a bottled water company that only sells water derived from melt run off of the purest mountain snow. I expect it to be the Next Big Thing with the snowflake crowd.
laugh.gif

I'll be posting UOA's from OCI's of a new Ferrari once the profits starts rolling in...

You are way, way too late.
smile.gif

http://www.bergwater.ca/products.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back