Ratchets With Lowest Back Drag ?

It seems that Koken makes low back drag (aka backlash) a design priority. They have recently released a new 72T ratchet wrench.

I have no experience with Koken ratchets or sockets, so can't say anything about their strength or durability.

Anybody here have experience with them? Koken tools seem to be reasonably priced, well below Snap-On.

The patented design of the 72T combines the low backlash, small size, and has a 10% higher torque limit in comparison to the 36 tooth ratchet. The legacy 36 tooth ratchets move 10°/click. The new 72 tooth ratchets move 5°/click.

The design changes include moving from the single pawl of the 36 tooth design to the patented dual pawl of the 72 tooth design. The dual pawl 72 tooth design utilizes a single spring. We took four years of testing to perfect the low spring pressure needed to maintain Ko-ken's hallmark low-torque backlash. The finer 72 teeth design creates more surface area contact with the gear; thus, it has a 10% higher torque upper limit.

The 72T is being released in the Z-Series 3/8" ratchets only in 2021. We will be releasing the 72T in ¼" and ½" sizes, without compromising the body sizes and low backlash as our testing allows. Look for more new product releases in 2022.

There was more backlash due to the fit of the socket on the bolt and on the ratchet drive, than in the ratchet itself, in the few I looked at.

When Koken talks about backlash, I think they really mean "back drag" or "reversing drag", and not backlash clearance (as in a R&P gear set).

Look at the 72 tooth round head for $66. They really are a thing of beauty and incredibly well made with a perfect fit and finish. They are ideal for the professional tool polisher.

Looking through some I have the best one is a Kobalt gearless, no back drag I can detect. They had cleared them out and I got two.The Wright seems like it has almost no back drag, but none is some. I don’t get calling lash drag, but what do I know.

I’ve had good luck with the Kobalt gearless when needed. It’s not my go to, but nice to have nonetheless.

I used a loaner at a junkyard once for some rusty bolts. Seemed fine then as well. Didn’t break and no busted knuckles.

Like what? The head size is large on the Kobalt, don't see any other issues. Here is Snap On's take on it, and a drawing of the insides:
They slip under heavy loads - I am far more likely to overload my tools than the average user. Gearless go home for use in my home workshop. Except for one, a beautiful looking and feeling no brand 3/8 ratchet that slips...in a free 5 minutes today I thought I might strip it down, but gave up.

They slip under heavy loads - I am far more likely to overload my tools than the average user. Gearless go home for use in my home workshop. Except for one, a beautiful looking and feeling no brand 3/8 ratchet that slips...in a free 5 minutes today I thought I might strip it down, but gave up.
They aren’t made all the same. The Kobalt has 6 rollers, the SO 8. The mechanisms also are different. The way it looks the rollers wedge in more the more force is applied. I don’t know who made the Kobalt one in China, maybe Apex tools, but it seems solid as a rock.

Bumping this thread - their 2023 release of 72 tooth ratchets are available. Palmac has the best prices.
Looks like they added quick-release to the 1/4 and 3/8 drive sizes. They also have a 3/8" dr ratchet in a 1/4" body, though the longest length is 6.29".

AJFCJaVHYCWd5_FJD72BimC0CA9Vst6ysBh65tPnbjsx5eOO4ckZHC0gresn2XQme4rTf5F0TRM3QEdyW_7IaXzmtu3IHbadqELzbC-ORfiYcoQX-z9k5r8b0BtcAw-HtbQY5Q8bV83WvWLvgdoy8NhK7Lwg_0McrxG9LAOYFydC1j48avHQoCk9Hm9jC8MaZydy-ybTygeOl2E5UsRSAUNufUn3PORtkpNjKdsKUfN6SD-pXg_3K4VhkERHcPWL30cQ0UwFFKhbErJ_XbFImKqEbKccWUmANo1qvbPBvm-CLj0-4Uq7ThZqzBHfWTD6Fg9OWyJIw1UDFzNBtdZ6CEOJlnHiLCJGM2wUdHEs83RlmsyMLvLNfay5vaHopuUYK6C_l3KXoIZHX5fdsK_16awCdJdm-h9xiUTGP8xVYuTzbKWRk1EKrxDwdY8p2BbkNvo7LAkAM4vywZvXKdIR5LeXKYJL3sB_a-TJSPgxtdwM7zoDnt-oRKwrk5uRnhpKHDuPT5RPnG1w7Wf5VZsNce_KhHdGwFiYSjJridg1YPY7gb1h_9MawySvT0lCvXGtgfCho46PmO_nqA1bVz7CvjrA9OuAcGwTnmk5CfXZRj_vi5OP59IM08nl8nHdfIADe64SK31mjGxSIrNC5wG3SI9h_KTVR9cqhHGCtCCstqQ8cbFrWUgSzr8jr9f-E8obuge8LhLZ7eCzFAmqh3XHkDxGHZFd6SgaltvS1S4vaBS7VolgEsW7gh0UUhno0XzfnM1c7h4giUSTY55txsm-A9fQRKsmvjzad7R_IcOj10fqOurzZZnDGcc4gvrWOjl06yaS9ecWn-FnQe1qLBP2IDfvn7n_j2hzKc0AzXPSP8H5RsU9MH4I8NwZq0rJ6jRFNW1MiGqCRB38nFyuaWXF2rMzIx4Dlg=w734-h980-s-no

Bumping this thread - their 2023 release of 72 tooth ratchets are available. Palmac has the best prices.
Looks like they added quick-release to the 1/4 and 3/8 drive sizes.
I bought a Koken 1/4" drive 72T ratchet a few weeks ago, from DRPD. The 1/4" drive 72T ratchets are available in 8 different configurations. But only one handle style is offered: a short hard rubber grip that feels a bit odd to me. But I love the ratcheting mechanism.

I bought a Koken 1/4" drive 72T ratchet a few weeks ago, from DRPD. The 1/4" drive 72T ratchets are available in 8 different configurations. But only one handle style is offered: a short hard rubber grip that feels a bit odd to me. But I love the ratcheting mechanism.
Do you own any Snap On 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets? Curious how the Koken's compare.

I am in the market for a few ratchets and Koken is a consideration. But I can buy Snap On off ebay for less money, so I'm a little hesitant to go with Koken.

Do you own any Snap On 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets? Curious how the Koken's compare.

I am in the market for a few ratchets and Koken is a consideration. But I can buy Snap On off ebay for less money, so I'm a little hesitant to go with Koken.
In 3/8" drive I have a newer, broken-in Snap-on Dual80 ratchet, and a Koken 72T ratchet. The backdrag is definitely lower on the Koken. I prefer the plain, steel handle of the Snap-on over the handle/grip of the Koken. The reversing lever on the Koken operates "backwards" compared to the Snap-on and most other ratchets.

In 1/4" drive, my 2 Snap-on ratchets are around 35-40 years old, and have much higher backdrag than my new Koken. My other newer 1/4" drive ratchets from Husky, Tekton, GW, Blackhawk, and Capri, all have higher backdrag than the Koken, with the Capri and Blackhawk being the worst.

Quantitative backdrag data on a bunch of ratchets can be found here:

A couple of quantitative backdrag comparison videos:

Back