2011 V6 Mustang "deep sump"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctc

Excerpt from Ford press release. BITOG highlights in bold. Deep sump oil pan and 10K OCI!

2011 Ford Mustang V-6 goes high-tech: new 305-Hp engine, six-SPEED transmission expected to Deliver 30 MPG highway

• For 2011, Mustang makes sports coupe news with a new high-performance, all-aluminum Duratec® 3.7-liter DOHC Ti-VCT V-6 that delivers 305 horsepower and an expected best-in-class 30 mpg highway with six-speed automatic transmission – no other vehicle in the industry can beat that combination
• Six-speed transmissions – manual and automatic – combine with newly standard limited-slip differential and revised suspension for road-carving driving dynamics and handling
• New technology and convenience features include: Standard integrated spotter mirrors; message center; MyKey™ programmable vehicle key; and Universal Garage Door Opener

Dearborn, Mich., Nov. 30, 2009 – The 2011 Ford Mustang puts 305 high-performance horses in the hands of V-6 coupe buyers with a new all-aluminum dual-overhead cam (DOHC) engine that delivers a projected 30 mpg on the highway with a six-speed automatic transmission and fun for drivers on nearly every road.

For 2011, Mustang's new 3.7-liter Duratec 24-valve V-6 uses advanced engineering to deliver its power and economy: Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds. Aluminum construction means light weight. It's an engine designed to crank out torque down low, rev to 7,000 rpm and deliver the mechanical music sports coupe lovers crave everywhere in between.

"Mustang is completely transformed with this new engine," said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development. "Everything people love about the car is still there and now under the hood is a V-6 engine that uses premium technology to deliver the power, the feel, the fuel efficiency, even the sound of the best sports coupes in the world."

New 3.7-liter V-6 engine
With Ti-VCT operating its four valves per cylinder, the new Mustang V-6 powerplant sends significantly more horsepower and torque (305 hp and 280 ft.-lb.) to the rear wheels than its predecessor – despite its smaller displacement. The behind-the-wheel feel is unlike any Mustang ever produced.

"This new V-6 engine really speaks to what Mustang is all about," said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of global powertrain engineering. "It produces power everywhere in the rev range and loves to be pushed hard. The Duratec 3.7-liter builds on our promise to use advanced technology to deliver both power and fuel economy."

The high output is due largely to Ti-VCT which allows variable control of valve operation across the rev range. The variable cams operate on a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain using polished buckets and roller finger followers to reduce friction. The end result is as much as a 3 percent improvement in fuel economy and a 10 percent improvement in power output versus traditional engines without these advanced features.

Ti-VCT is complemented by special-tuned composite upper and lower intake manifolds for efficient air delivery and lighter weight. Ignition power is delivered by a high-energy coil-on-plug design, while piston-cooling jets and a lightweight die-cast aluminum cylinder block improve the durability and efficiency of the 3.7-liter V-6 design.

Performance was the mantra for every aspect of engine design. A cold air induction system and dual exhaust give the 3.7 its free-breathing style with a 7,000 rpm redline and near-instantaneous response to throttle inputs.

A die-cast aluminum deep-sump oil pan provides 10,000-mile oil change intervals, saving drivers money on maintenance and resulting in less waste in oil disposal.

Engineers also worked to ensure aggressive, high-performance sounds come from the new engine, from intake to exhaust. Not only does the retuned air intake system minimize losses, it also provides the driver with a satisfying intake rush on hard acceleration. The all-new dual exhaust system is mellow at idle but opens up with a howl at full-tilt, letting Mustang drivers know they're behind the wheel of a world-class sports coupe.

"This car marks a new type of Mustang," said David Pericak, Mustang chief nameplate engineer. "We're using a high-performance quad-cam V-6 with all the bells and whistles in a car that's become legendary for its handling and roadholding; it's really going to get a lot of new sports coupe fans excited about Mustang, some for the first time ever."

Last edited:
You've got to hand it to Ford. I'd wait for the 2012, give them a year to work any possible bugs out of the new engine. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You've got to hand it to Ford. I'd wait for the 2012, give them a year to work any possible bugs out of the new engine. JMO
Thats the beauty of it, its NOT a new engine. It's the 3.7L version of the 3.5L thats in the new Taurus and the current Edge and Flex. Lincoln has already had it for a year or so in some of their models. I think it great, should really make the Mustang a world class little coupe now. Bravo Ford!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Good move for Ford. They needed to do that with the base Camaro V6 already offering 304hp and 6speed auto or manual transmissions.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thats the beauty of it, its NOT a new engine. It's the 3.7L version of the 3.5L thats in the new Taurus and the current Edge and Flex. Lincoln has already had it for a year or so in some of their models. I think it great, should really make the Mustang a world class little coupe now. Bravo Ford!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I wasn't aware of that, then it should be a winner. Ford really has their act together, I hope it stays that way for them.

I'd love to think that a vehicle can deliver 305 Hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels and get 30 mpg. That would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath.

Clark

Well, I had thought the new Ecoboost V6 was going in the mustang. But this engine makes even more sense to me than that does, I hadn't even considered the Duratec V6. I bet the new 5.0L, or 6.2L V8 will be the high end option. I bet for the 2011 Model year, unless the new V8 is out, that very very few V8 models will be sold since it only outpowers the v6 by about 4 horsepower.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
So.....what new V8 will be the stable-mate for the V6??
Its already official. The new V8 is a 5.0 liter called the Coyote. Its 32 valve DOHC and rated at 400 hp plus. There are pics of it all over the web...google it. Next year should be a very good year for the Stang!
19.gif

So how does a deeper oil pan that lengthens OCIs save on waste oil? Unless you let it burn a few quarts off first?
lol.gif

My Dad's 1980 Fairmont sales literature was bragging about long (up to 10k IIRC) OCIs over a comparable 1970 Maverick, FWIW. (Hard to read 1978 brochure) I'm sure unleaded gasoline being invented in-between was helpful in that regard.
smirk2.gif

Very good news indeed!

Hey, my HEAVY Lincoln Mark VIII pulls 30mpg on the highway, with a 32-valve V8. But I might be willing to hand it down in a year or two...

The 4.0L is rough in both the Mustang and Explorer. Drive a 4.0L and 4.6L Explorer back to back, drive a 4.0L and 4.6L Mustang back to back, there is no comparison. The 4.0L SOHC (and the 3.8L/3.9L/4.2L pushrod too) is just a coarse feeling engine. I hate them, always have, and I'm glad to see them go.

The Cyclone V6 is a real gem though, the Mustang has just stepped it's V6 game up in a major way.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Well, my mom has a mustang with that 4.0L and it isn't any rougher than the other cars we own.

Maybe all the cars you own have rough engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back