Guy in 5.0 Mustang challenged me this morning to a race

I used to drive a stock SI. 2002. Fun to drive, and faster than most daily drivers, but not going to win a drag race with a moderately defined "fast car." People in "fastish" cars would often rev at lights and make eye contact. I'd give a thumbs up, rev my engine, and then just drive normally. That's my sense of humor coming into play. My dad gets it all the time with his Impala. It's just a stock V8 muscle car era Impala. Yeah, big V8, but they're not fast. They weigh a trillion pounds. A Honda Fit could probably beat it in a drag race. So I don't get it. Some alpha thing I guess.
Dad has the wrong options. A Lo Po stock BB in a family car with an auto is a dog. A 'homoolgation run ' 62 Belair or Biscayne trim with a 409HP/ 409 and a 4 speed with posi is pretty dang strong.

I filled up my wife’s 2020 Mustang GT at Shell this morning around 7:30 AM and was going out for a drive on a 4 lane country road.

A guy in a yellow 2017 Mustang GT (435 horsepower Gen 2 Coyote 5.0 engine) pulls up beside me at a red light and revs his engine 3 times obviously wanting to race. I’m in my wife‘s 2020 Mustang GT stock/ no mods (460 horsepower Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 engine). I accept his challenge. The guy is around 30 years old, I don’t know if his 5.0 is modified or if his transmission is auto or manual. I didnt lower the passenger window to talk to him. I’m in the left lane and he’s in the right lane, no passenger in either car.

I put it in ‘Track Mode‘ , my left foot on the brake and I bring RPMs up to 1500 with my right foot waiting for the green light.
This country road is empty and it’s around 70 degrees, perfect conditions. :) LOL

The light turns GREEN
- I let off the brake , I’m about 50% on the gas pedal and my tires are spinning just a little and then hook.
- As soon as the Michelin Pilot Sport tires hook I go 100% WOT, I think a full tank of 93 octane help add weight above the tires.
- The 10R80 auto transmission shifts soooo lighting fast from 1st gear up to 7th gear and at around 135 MPH I’m about 5-6 car lengths ahead of him. I’m wondering if the gap would have been bigger if I had selected Drag Mode.

Not trying to break the law…… just having some fun with fellow Mustang driver.
The 2020 PP1 Mustang (photo) with auto trans runs high 11’s completely stock. Not bad for a car under $45K

View attachment 97528
Love that shade of blue!

If I were going to buy a new pony car, it would be the Mustang, just because it's better looking than the Camaro.
But I would look for an opportunity to swap in a Godzilla.

I had a '74 Vega GT, 4-speed that would do 120-125 mph stock.
No. Just no. I had a '75 Vega 4-speed. 106 mph was it. Held my foot on the floor for 10 minutes. 106 was absolutely the terminal velocity.
My '75 Cosworth Vega with short track cams and twin Webers easily exceeded 120 mph...

No. Just no. I had a '75 Vega 4-speed. 106 mph was it. Held my foot on the floor for 10 minutes. 106 was absolutely the terminal velocity.
My '75 Cosworth Vega with short track cams and twin Webers easily exceeded 120 mph...
Could have been after a header, exhaust, foam air cleaner and carb re-jet to uncork it a bit. It was 45 years ago, but know it was well over 106 mph indicated.

Could have been after a header, exhaust, foam air cleaner and carb re-jet to uncork it a bit. It was 45 years ago, but know it was well over 106 mph indicated.
That could do it.
I always have fun recounting my misadventures with the 1975 Vega go-to-college car.

That could do it.
I always have fun recounting my misadventures with the 1975 Vega go-to-college car.
Had to go find an old photo taken with a Kodak 110 camera, such clarity ... 😄 Frosty cold Idaho morning back in around 1977. This was my 2nd car and was actually reliable and fun to drive. It was the 4-banger "sports car" back in those days.

1652562480578.jpg

Had to go find an old photo taken with a Kodak 110 camera, such clarity ... 😄 Frosty cold Idaho morning back in around 1977. This was my 2nd car and was actually reliable and fun to drive. It was the 4-banger "sports car" back in those days.

View attachment 99942
Didn't those come from the factory already rusting? I remember those cars being covered in rust after just a year old...same with the Blazers of that era...

Didn't those come from the factory already rusting? I remember those cars being covered in rust after just a year old...same with the Blazers of that era...
Yes the same as Hostess donuts come stale from the bakery......it's an art form of some kind.
Smoky

Mine never had any rust, but they really didn't salt the roads much then ... you had to know how to drive in the snow, lol. That Vega actually went well in the snow with proper winter tires. I had that Vega many years and never had any real problems with it. I hear all the horror stories of Vegas, but I either must have taken good care of it, and/or got a good one. Only thing I recall happening was it tried to over-heat once when I was in Lewiston, ID when it was like 110 deg F there. It had a very small radiator that couldn't cool well enough in that kind of air temperature if the car wasn't moving. I did install a much better radiator fan which helped, but still not good enough for blistering 110 F.

I filled up my wife’s 2020 Mustang GT at Shell this morning around 7:30 AM and was going out for a drive on a 4 lane country road.

A guy in a yellow 2017 Mustang GT (435 horsepower Gen 2 Coyote 5.0 engine) pulls up beside me at a red light and revs his engine 3 times obviously wanting to race. I’m in my wife‘s 2020 Mustang GT stock/ no mods (460 horsepower Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 engine). I accept his challenge. The guy is around 30 years old, I don’t know if his 5.0 is modified or if his transmission is auto or manual. I didnt lower the passenger window to talk to him. I’m in the left lane and he’s in the right lane, no passenger in either car.

I put it in ‘Track Mode‘ , my left foot on the brake and I bring RPMs up to 1500 with my right foot waiting for the green light.
This country road is empty and it’s around 70 degrees, perfect conditions. :) LOL

The light turns GREEN
- I let off the brake , I’m about 50% on the gas pedal and my tires are spinning just a little and then hook.
- As soon as the Michelin Pilot Sport tires hook I go 100% WOT, I think a full tank of 93 octane help add weight above the tires.
- The 10R80 auto transmission shifts soooo lighting fast from 1st gear up to 7th gear and at around 135 MPH I’m about 5-6 car lengths ahead of him. I’m wondering if the gap would have been bigger if I had selected Drag Mode.

Not trying to break the law…… just having some fun with fellow Mustang driver.
The 2020 PP1 Mustang (photo) with auto trans runs high 11’s completely stock. Not bad for a car under $45K

View attachment 97528
Beautiful Mustang GT 5.0 ! Love the color. Well worth premium fuel I think or at least midgrade as it's a mix of 87 & 93 so you get lots the extra additives in the 93. I always use midgrade in my Gen2 Ecoboost powered '21 Bronco Sport & '20 Ranger XLT FX4.

Back