2011 V6 Mustang "deep sump"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own a 2003 Expedition with the 4.6L Modular V8, I own a 97 Cavalier 2.2L OHV (quite a smooth I-4) and a 99 Jeep 2.5L I-4 which is definitely rougher than the 4.0L V6 in the Mustang by a wide margin.

I agree on the old 4.0 SOHC engine being rough. I own an 05 Explorer and in the past have owned an 01 Explorer and an 05 Mustang all w/4.0 . The new 3.7 is light years ahead of it.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
So.....what new V8 will be the stable-mate for the V6??
Its already official. The new V8 is a 5.0 liter called the Coyote. Its 32 valve DOHC and rated at 400 hp plus. There are pics of it all over the web...google it. Next year should be a very good year for the Stang!
19.gif

Well its not official yet, but it will be in the next couple of weeks. Then I will have to make a tough decision next year on what I want to do. lol

I didn't say that the 4.0L was perfect, or superior to the 3.7L. I'm simply saying that it isn't rough enough to be an annoyance to me (or either of my parents) and that it isn't a horrible engine. Heck the most annoying thing about the mustang is the durn transmission. It shifts with a very noticable, I don't want to say jerk, but I don't know what word to use. It isn't rough, but it is very noticeable. (This is the French-built 5 speed auto). But I am glad they decided to replace the 4.0L, but I don't expect my mom to replace the current mustang, as she is perfectly content, and pleased with the 210 ponies she has now.

I have a 4.0 SOHC in my Ranger, and I don't find it to be rough in the slightest bit. I find it to be an extremely quiet and smooth engine. And yes, I know what a smooth engine feels like. It every bit as smooth as my mother's 2005 BMW 330ci. I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about.

That being said, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and is about due for a replacement.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Heck the most annoying thing about the mustang is the durn transmission. It shifts with a very noticable, I don't want to say jerk, but I don't know what word to use. It isn't rough, but it is very noticeable.

The word is "crisp"
19.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
The 3.9 was in the newer T Birds correct?

That 3.9 is a V8 from the Jag AJ family. The 3.9 V6 is a slightly reworked 3.8L.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have a 4.0 SOHC in my Ranger, and I don't find it to be rough in the slightest bit.

NVH has been an issue with the 4.0L SOHC forever, just like it was with the Essex V6s. 90 degree V6s aren't smooth.

The 4.0 SOHC has been around for too long...but Ford made money off of it. I have 4 in my work Explorers and they have been rock solid...NO PROBLEMS with one over 200,000 miles and 2 others over 120,000. Not state of the art in any way, but a decent workhorse. Gas mileage is not good considering the horsepower and it could be smoother, but IMO it is no piece of junk.

Not sorry to see it go though.... especially in the Mustang.

Ford 4.0 SOHC. Past it's prime...past it's time.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You've got to hand it to Ford. I'd wait for the 2012, give them a year to work any possible bugs out of the new engine. JMO
Thats the beauty of it, its NOT a new engine. It's the 3.7L version of the 3.5L thats in the new Taurus and the current Edge and Flex. Lincoln has already had it for a year or so in some of their models. I think it great, should really make the Mustang a world class little coupe now. Bravo Ford!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Sure it is an enlarged version of a good engine, that those changes can still be a problem.

Somehow Nissan took the VG30 engine which can handle years of tough driving, and then the VG33 was derived from it, and frequently dies at 90,000.

Ford is going to kick GM's kiester and maybe Toyotas as well if they keep making cars like this....I want one. I just want to start one up and open the hood and watch the engine run...
20.gif

Last edited:
good god, it's about time Ford got rid of the Massey Ferguson V6 they've been using!

Seriously, the engine sounds really sweet. I already think the 2010 GT is a great ride, gimme a Coyote any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back