Rant on used tires on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take the opposite stance from the OP of this thread. What irks me are the Craigslist buyers who try and get something for nothing. Drives me nuts how cheap some people are and also how willing they are to waste your time and even lie to you. Like agreeing to a price on the phone and then trying to beat you down once you meet for the sale. "I know we agreed to $600 but I will give you $300 cash now...take it or leave it". Totally uncool. I had a guy do that to me on a set of 20" tires and rims. After I went to all the trouble of loading them and driving 30 minutes to meet for the sale he tried to weasel me from the $900 agreed to on the phone( which I already lowered from my asking price of $1100 )down to $600. He actually got mad at me because I refused to sell him the tires and rims after that, called him a loser, and told him to step off while he still could.

I have sold quite a lot of stuff on CL. Usually the stuff that is too big/expensive to ship or that would be damaged in shipping( tires, TV's, computers/printers, etc... ). I have sold a LOT of new takeoff tires on CL( probably what I sell the most on there ). 99% of the time when I buy a new vehicle it has tires I dislike. Within the 1st 1-3K I remove them and replace with tires I want. I have even been known to replace the tires literally the day the vehicle was purchased. The tires are always like new and have no discernable wear with so few miles. I then advertise the tires for sale on CL at a mark down from new prices. I sell them for 70-75% of new and my price is firm. I know I will have to wait for a legit buyer and wade through endless lowball and ridiculous offers as ^^^ while doing so but eventually I get a fair price( for both of us ).

I have never had to wait more than 2 months to get my price though. I take the time to look up that specific tire online w/ shipping to my area as well as price it locally. I make it a point to list those prices in my CL listing as well so people can see I am offering a fair price. So if buying 4 of that size and model would cost say $1000 new( I use the price of the best deal I find as my base point )I sell the take offs for $750( asking - will drop to $700 ). I take good photos and even measure the tread depth and list what the tires are now compared to new( generally the exact same with so few miles - might be 1/32 less ).

I have never had anyone call me back to tell me the tires are damaged or defective. If they were I would have known about it and had it taken care of under warranty before trying to sell them. If anything I get a thank you for such a sweet deal and for such an honest and accurate listing. 80% if the tires were actually brand new as the OP talks of is more than fair. 20% of $1000 is $200. That is a big savings. I would rather sit on the tires forever than take the ridiculous offers so many buyers on CL make( barring some kind of financial crisis on my end forcing me to ).

As far as the whole complaint about not wanting the rims the tires are mounted to and not wanting to pay extra for them. Obviously just because the buyer doesn't want the rims doesn't mean they don't have value. Tires mounted on rims absolutely carry a higher price( for the rims themselves ). If you don't want the rims then take the tires off and sell the rims to recoup some of your money.

I have at times also taken off the rims from a new vehicle along with the OEM tires. Originally I tried to sell them as a mounted pair but ran into too many people who tried to cut the sale price by a lot( like the OP )claiming they didn't want the rims and they were worthless. I never gave in to them but realized it took longer to sell as a mounted set so I now always take the tires off and sell tires and rims separate( or as a package the buyer must M&B ). When I do that it never costs me anything because the tire shop would normally take a set of tires off to mount new ones anyway. So they take the OEM tires off the OEM rims for me and then M&B the new tires on my other rims. No charge as it is actually not extra work for them.

There are a lot of crooks and delusional folks selling on CL for sure. They lie in their descriptions and ask way more for the item then it is worth when they do that( i.e. lie ). However, there are just as many cheapskate and crooked buyers who want something for nothing. They lie to you and try to manipulate you to get the item for nothing. IMO if you are buying new or like new, and the item really is in that condition, then expect to pay for it. Don't expect to pay what something old, worn out, and broken would cost. That is only reasonable and fair. Everyone loves a deal but there is no reason the buyer and seller can't both come out ahead.

Kestas,

Not to sound bad.... I would just buy brand new tires, not waste my time on Craigslist looking for tires and meeting some stranger.

That's what I've concluded. I'd rather pay the extra 30% and have some peace of mind as far as sound tires, freshness, and convenience.

I've been burned before, where I bought a set of new Wintermark tires from craigslist that looked great with a decent date code, but one tire took 8 oz to balance, then had a bad shimmy that caused my car to wobble at 20 mph, and resonate again at 70 mph. I can only believe the tires were a warranty return for that reason. Don't know how the seller got a hold of these tires. Probably he or a buddy worked at the tire place.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I usually look on Craigslist but I agree, no good deals. When I sell used tires on Craigslist, I just list for $15 a tire and call it a day.

There's a local shop here that sells nice used tires for $35 each with free mounting and balancing. $40 if it's almost new.

I'll be going there soon for tires for my trailer.

I wouldn't trust used trailer tires. Too many people overload them then you end up with a blowout and a bent up fender shortly after purchasing them.
I should have clarified. My trailer is a 4x8 with a truck bed mounted to it. Not much weight and I haul my ATV in it.

It has 235/75-15 truck tires on it. I'll replace with the same size. I'm not too worried.

My current tires are a 15 year old BFG All Terrain and a 12 year old Arizonian Silver Edition that has a bad belt I just noticed, huge lump in the tread ready to blow out.

A cheap set of used tires should make it 5 years in guessing.

Also the weight of the trailer, truck bed, ATV, and other stuff probably would top out at 1700-1800 pounds which is a piece of cake on tires.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Lately I've been looking for winter tires for my car. The best I could find is someone asking 60% of the price of new tires for a set that has been reportedly used one season. Sorry - no sale. My offer wasn't good enough. I'm beginning to think people don't really want to get rid of their unwanted stuff.

Sometimes they are just waiting for a less informed buyer that will give them their asking price. If they have time, I don't see why they would not try a higher price first.

Personally, I would not buy used winter tires. I want the rubber to be as fresh and tread as deep as possible for proper snow traction. The lifespan of winter tires seems to be a lot shorter than all-seasons due to rubber hardening with age and not offering good winter traction anymore.

I'd happily pay extra to never have to deal with the scum bags on craigslist around here.

Tires really? Throw the keys to the nearest tire shop and have them fit new rubber, done not worth getting in to deep.

Last edited:
Do you have an LKQ auto recycler near by? They have pretty good tires for a fair prices.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What is the reasoning that new tires sold on Craigslist should be 50% of store price? If they are truly new I don't blame the owner for holding out for 80%. Why isn't saving 20% good enough.

My experience is it is the buyers on Craigslist who are idiots trying to offer well below reasonable prices of everything.

That was my experience when I tried to sell a car. I ended up selling it (I sold it for 1K more than the Carmax offer as a firm price), but had a lot of people offer ridiculous offers that truly were delusional and a waste of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back