Wheel weight fell off, use 3M tape?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Swapping out my winter wheels and tire and noticed a wheel weight at the bottom of the hand truck I keep the winter tires on.

I tracked the missing weight down to the LF wheel after looking at all of the rims based on the small amount of adhesive that was likely holding this weight on the vehicle. There was no adhesive residue on the weight which leads me to believe it was barely holding onto the sliver of tape seen below.

Should I reattach using 3M double sided tape or is there some trick to this?

Wheel weight.JPG

Why not just buy a new weight to stick on. I'd wonder if double sided tape would last as long.
I've never mounted or balanced tires before so I do not know how all of this works and what the correct tools are for the job. Maybe 3M tape is not strong enough?

3M Auto Molding Tape will keep it on, but a new weight, applied to a cleaned surface, with a quick blast of a heat gun, would be cheaper.

I imagine this comes down to what OP has on hand.

Whatever you use, draw an outline around it with a sharpie, so you know if it goes missing again. Or draw a smiley face on the weight you think you might lose.

Double sided foam tape will work on a clean wheel. I’ve JBWelded, regular epoxy, etc loose weights on before with good results. E6000 too. Unless you’re going to balance your own wheels, it would not be worth buying a pack of self stick wheel weights. Just stick the loose one back on with something.

I imagine this comes down to what OP has on hand.
I have some 3M tape, thicker than the wheel weight adhesive tape though, didn't seem to make any difference.
3M Auto Molding Tape will keep it on, but a new weight, applied to a cleaned surface, with a quick blast of a heat gun, would be cheaper.
I used your heat gun method on the weight and wheel after cleaning:
Wheel weight 2.JPG

I know two excellent adhesives for that application but my last post regarding adhesives was deemed spam and deleted.

Back