Rant on used tires on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a set of repro bias ply 1996 red-line F70-14 muscle car tires for 1968-1970 era. Paid $400 for them back then. Maybe 90% life remaining and close to new looking. I sold them for $200 last year to a collector. The cost of those new today is $800. I was very surprised I could get $200 for nearly 20 year old tires. That car they will be used on will be for show only. Still, I was happy to get 50% of what I paid originally.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Another point -- some people want nearly 50% of the tire's value, saying it has 50% of the tread. I don't know about you, but I'd rather wear down the first 50% of a tire's life than the last 50%.

Exactly the reason I have trouble with a lot of used cars, a car with 100k on it is going for half the price of a new one. I agree, the first half of it's life is worth a lot more than the second half.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I usually look on Craigslist but I agree, no good deals. When I sell used tires on Craigslist, I just list for $15 a tire and call it a day.

There's a local shop here that sells nice used tires for $35 each with free mounting and balancing. $40 if it's almost new.

I'll be going there soon for tires for my trailer.

I wouldn't trust used trailer tires. Too many people overload them then you end up with a blowout and a bent up fender shortly after purchasing them.

This reminds me, I have 4 tires Id like to sell on CL sometime. 60% tread. 1 tire has a small gouge in the sidewall and I drove it quite some time that way.

I was thinking $100-$125 for the 4. Technically 3 or 3.5.
smile.gif

I sold few used tires on Craigslist 3-4 years ago. A pair Falken FK452 to an Audi A4 owner, he was going to sell his car within a month or so. His 2 tires were bald and other two had 4/32" tread depth, mine were about that. I listed $40/pair, he was very happy to pay full asking price, because his tires were Falken FK452 too so he got matching tire.

The other one was full size spare take off after 11-12 years. Sold it for $50 to a guy looking for a Goodyear Eagle F1. The spare was never touch the ground.

Oh, I agree with ya Kestas...

I was shopping around for some used snow tires, as I would like to give a set a try to see how her car does on them. So, I shopped around...

Mind you, I could get a set of 14s with snows/steelies for a bit over 400 bucks new. I found a car selling them for 550 Bucks that had been used two seasons! And a few looked like they might have hit more than a few potholes....he was dead serious too....wouldn't drop the price. Found another set for 330, but they too looked pretty rough for tires....

Remember, here in MI, our snows take a beating from the craters (I mean potholes) here in the winter, so you really want to look at a set, and don't offer too much for them....

I hit Craigslist for used tire dealers from time to time. Most places around here have pretty good prices. Its the selection that is hit or miss. Most frustrating is when the size you need no one seems to have on hand.

I sold my neon when I inherited my mom's camry. I had snow tires and while i could have thrown them in the deal I held onto them.

I mentioned in the ad I used them for a single winter, mentioned that I had the original receipt, photographed the date code, photographed the tread with directional side lighting to enhance it, and had a tread gauge in the photo that a buyer could read.

Mentioned they were on neon rims, the pattern was 5x100, and someone bought them for his jetta.

I paid $164 for the set of four tires after all rebates and another $100 for the rims and sold the mounted used set for $200.
laugh.gif

Though I look for used tires on CL, and appreciate the "tires & rims" parts subcategory they just invented, a junkyard about 20 minutes away has a HUGE serviceable inventory for $20 for 14 inchers, $25 for 15", $30 for 16" etc. They usually have what I want and almost always at least what I need.

That all said buying new is coming down in price. Some tarriff expired. I can get a Sears Guardsman for $44 and mount it myself. (They want $18.99 to mount plus $10 to dispose of the old tire, LOL.) There's also the DTD labor day/ black friday thing.

The DEALS on CL, IMO, are when someone sells "tires" but they're mounted on desirable rims and you can then sell the rims seperately and get most of your money back. Having a tire machine helps with this.

There was a time in my life (college) when used tires where a choice to get on my $500 rotted Subaru XT(odd coupe). However thankfully I have moved on. Seems like a lot of work and time which you may have to find these used tires. CL seems so flaky if seller responds, replies or even is there to show you item. Once you get the tire you have to get it mounted to boot.

I've not bought/sold tires on CL, but I have used CL for a WIDE variety of other things like vehicles, motorcycles, wood-working equipment, generators, etc etc etc

Caveat Emptor is THE key phrase.
You may find some great bargains, but there are always risks. Private sellers will almost never offer any warranty or such; "as is" means just that.
You can work to reduce the risk; be well informed, shop around, etc. But you cannot avoid the risks completely.

And that applies to the asking prices (sorry for the long road to the topic). People can ask what they want; it's their ad. Doesn't mean they'll get what they ask, but they can start anywhere. Often, unreasonable pricing will show itself in long term listings. I've seen Grand Marquis sit for a few months, and then drop a few thousand dollars into a reasonable range. Same goes for motorcycles and other stuff. If you think the price it too high, then sit and wait. It will be good leverage when you go back a month later. And if the stuff is already sold, then perhaps it was you who was not being realistic.

The fair market price is exactly what someone is willing to sell/pay in agreement. No more and no less. If no one buys an overpriced item, then that ought to be a signal to the seller. If you keep losing out on good deals, then as a buyer you may have to adjust your wallet and pay a bit more.

CL is just the modern version of the haggling for a bargain in the dust of a ancient city side-street a few centuries ago.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'm always looking to save a few bucks where I can. Sometimes I try to find tires I need on craigslist.

In my opinion, new tires from an individual on craigslist shouldn't cost more than half the cost from a store.

The problem is that it seems everyone is asking around 80% the value of a new tire. They seriously think their tires are made of gold! I tried reasoning with one seller after making a fair offer on a set of tires, but he wanted a premium for the fact that they were mounted (on rims I and few people can't use) and balanced, and thus was asking more than the Tirerack price for tires! Another time I went to look at reasonably priced winter tires that were used one season... 10 years ago!

Lately I've been looking for winter tires for my car. The best I could find is someone asking 60% of the price of new tires for a set that has been reportedly used one season. Sorry - no sale. My offer wasn't good enough. I'm beginning to think people don't really want to get rid of their unwanted stuff.

I've pretty much given up on finding tires on craigslist. There is no incentive for me to set up an appointment with a stranger, who probably lives far away, and is selling tires with an unknown date code and gives no guarantee. At least at a store, or Tirerack, I can shop at my convenience and get a fresh new tire that has a guarantee.

Well people are free to set any price they wish. Maybe they will get it and maybe not. Buying anything used has its risks. No warranty, maybe stolen, maybe some damage not visible to you. I find many people are trying to bargain a CL price before even taking a look.

I cant believe what some people think used tires are worth after they have used up the best part of the tire, and they want a portion of retail price, plus what they paid to have them installed when new. Whenever I get a decent set of 4 matching tires, I will sell the whole set for like $30. Plus I don't have to pay tire disposal to get rid of them. They are usually sold a couple hours after listing.

yup and people forget about the alignment and oil change they got "when their set of 4 tires" came to $755 after all the other stuff.

We had our first snow a few weeks ago. So, of course, CL is full of $300 sets of bald winterforce with "one winter" on them. Yeah.

5-10 years ago, you used to be able to get decent tires on CL and even from the junkyard. Towards the end of the Taurus, I would grab from the junkyard. I feel every time I threw a $15 wheel and tire on the car, I doubled its value.

Last set I bought on CL was from someone who I am pretty sure was on drugs. The tires may have been stolen. They were full tread but looks like they were slid sideways with the truck stationary. Strange stuff.

Anyway, I sold a set of (legitimitely) 3/4 tread winterforce for $140. They were studded - so there's at least $60. I still have two more I need to get rid of.

I held on to them until now because they are worth more now than in spring/summer. I'll try to get $75 for both of them. If they don't sell, I will just yank the studs from one and use as a spare.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've not bought/sold tires on CL, but I have used CL for a WIDE variety of other things like vehicles, motorcycles, wood-working equipment, generators, etc etc etc

Caveat Emptor is THE key phrase.
You may find some great bargains, but there are always risks. Private sellers will almost never offer any warranty or such; "as is" means just that.
You can work to reduce the risk; be well informed, shop around, etc. But you cannot avoid the risks completely.

And that applies to the asking prices (sorry for the long road to the topic). People can ask what they want; it's their ad. Doesn't mean they'll get what they ask, but they can start anywhere. Often, unreasonable pricing will show itself in long term listings. I've seen Grand Marquis sit for a few months, and then drop a few thousand dollars into a reasonable range. Same goes for motorcycles and other stuff. If you think the price it too high, then sit and wait. It will be good leverage when you go back a month later. And if the stuff is already sold, then perhaps it was you who was not being realistic.

The fair market price is exactly what someone is willing to sell/pay in agreement. No more and no less. If no one buys an overpriced item, then that ought to be a signal to the seller. If you keep losing out on good deals, then as a buyer you may have to adjust your wallet and pay a bit more.

CL is just the modern version of the haggling for a bargain in the dust of a ancient city side-street a few centuries ago.
I would second what Dave said here, except my experience is more "needle in a haystack"-there's a good deal there on CL, but be prepared to waste a lot of time & wade through some doo-doo to get it. I've sold multiple sets of used tires on CL, I usually get near my cheap asking price-but I don't think I would be a buyer, too risky.

I found the used prices for good brand unmounted snow tire silly here too, so I just bought new. If you can find a set on the rims you need then the prices seem abit more reasonable as $20-25 per tire is the normal mounting fee for tires you bring in.
The 2nd and 3rd tier brands do go for cheap though, if you need a snow tire over an ice tire. I bought a set for $80 and ran them summer and winter for a couple years.

I've bought and sold quite a few tires on CL. All of my snow tire purchases in the past ~5yrs have been on CL. I've never had an issue.

Recently got a basically new set of 4 Yoko Geolanders for the minivan for $180. Two shops nearby will mount/balance them for $60. $240 sure beats $500+ for the same tires bought and installed new.

As with most everything on CL, a lot of it is timing. There are some legitimate deals to be had, but the stuff that lingers on there is someone asking too much in most cases. I've sold two sets of snow tires on junkyard rims on CL. I priced them reasonably and with the tread depth correctly measured and not overestimated (as I've found when looking at used tires is all too common). Sold both sets in hours - not days.

In otherwords, watch like a hawk and pounce when the right deal presents itself. When priced fairly, I have no problem not even negotiating - just make the deal!

As far as buying used tires, I'm done with that route. Worked for the most part when money was tight, but now that's not the concern. Wheels / Rims on the other hand, I still shop for those on CL...

CraigsList is turning into Ebay, which used to have some good prices. Now, egos are involved and you loose face if outbid. Of course the sniper programs have turned a lot of casual users off as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I would move out of Detroit so I could afford new tires.

Tires on rims would cost more, I often see tire/rim sets in yards "FOR SALE" they sit half a year or longer.... have you had any tires mounted lately? Shops can really up the charges!!! So they are thinking they can charge more, especially if the rims are aftermarket.

I got a independent tire dealer around here, I bought four Michelin's from him, $170 per tire, this includes install and free alignment.

A farm store nearby can get the same brand for about ten bucks cheaper, but they charge a incredible $25 to mount and balance PER tire.

TPMs haven't made keeping an extra set of rims for winter tires any cheaper, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back