Range Report: M1A, Ruger AR556, and HTA 10/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Range report from camping this last weekend.

Springfield M1A Scout Squad:

Previous Post
Wow. I’m in love with this thing. Simply superb shooter. A little heavy for my older kids but feels great to me. Ran 60 rounds of Tula steel and Aguila brass FMJs through it. Small sample size but experienced zero issues…………not that I expected any. Magazine insertion will take some getting used to, however, as it’s very different than an AR. Recoil was very manageable and the concussive muzzle blast set hearts pounding. Isn’t that a sign that you’re in love? I think I’ll name her “Thumper”.

Ruger AR556:

I’ve had this AR sitting around about a year and a half without shooting it. I also have a Rock River AR that has seen a lot more use, but this Ruger just hasn’t been a priority. Since my local indoor range frowns upon their use, I took a 300 round box of Federal XM855F3 62 grain green tips to try out. Flawless performance and these rounds appeared to be very clean burning. I observed extremely little to no powder residue after about 150 rounds. The usual buffer spring “twang” was very minimal which was a pleasant surprise. I’ve not disassembled it to see if Ruger did anything different with it or if it was the ammo. I won this rifle at a raffle only spending $50 for tickets. I’ve also seen it listed locally for $499 new, and on sale. I’ve not compared its internals to any others, but I think it’s a very good value for the money. My only complaint was there didn’t seem to be much positive engagement feel on the Gen3 Pmag I was using. On my RRA AR, magazine seating is obvious. Not so on this Ruger. I found myself having to pull out on it to verify it was seated all the way.

High Tower Armory clothed Ruger 10/22:

Previous Post
This is one very nice-looking piece. The 10/22 part goes without saying. I purchased it hoping it would help my smaller kids with having the weight redistributed towards the shoulder. I guess I was expecting too much as they still had trouble with the weight. Combine that with the very heavy trigger pull from the trigger relocation and they had a very hard time with it. Functionally, it was fine, but I think I’ll have to try and figure out a way to lighten that trigger pull. It was very, very, heavy. I will probably also take off the shell deflector. The instructions said it was for left handed shooters, but I liked the way it looked, so I installed it. In practice, however, it ended up deflecting hot brass and powder downwards onto the right-handed shooter’s forearm.

Thanks for the report. I have an 18.5" barreled Ruger 77 Mk. II in .308, and the muzzle blast is fairly pronounced
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Thanks for the report. I have an 18.5" barreled Ruger 77 Mk. II in .308, and the muzzle blast is fairly pronounced
smile.gif

It's a beautiful thing, ain't it?
thumbsup2.gif

I wish silencers were the norm here like Europe ... Why scare game and other folks when you don't need to ...

OTOH, out in the desert just blowing stuff up - yeah sure
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back