Ramps: Keep the Rhino and sell the classic?

My mother-in-law gave me a nice set of steel ramps a couple of years ago.

I've used it a couple of times. It does a job for anything that has 15-in tires or less with the exception of some older trucks which I rarely get at my dealership.

I like to do basic stuff myself because it keeps me healthy, busy, and gives me an opportunity to take a deeper dive in the older inventory we get. But I also have a set of rhino ramps that have served me well too.

I'm thinking that it's time to let the steel ones go. Part of me would like to give it to my son or daughter at some point. But the daughter's fiance isn't the type that would work on his own stuff and my son may not follow my interests either.

Here's a few pics of the two. Any thoughts would be good ones at this point

My mother-in-law gave me a nice set of steel ramps a couple of years ago.

I've used it a couple of times. It does a job for anything that has 15-in tires or less with the exception of some older trucks which I rarely get at my dealership.

I like to do basic stuff myself because it keeps me healthy, busy, and gives me an opportunity to take a deeper dive in the older inventory we get. But I also have a set of rhino ramps that have served me well too.

I'm thinking that it's time to let the steel ones go. Part of me would like to give it to my son or daughter at some point. But the daughter's fiance isn't the type that would work on his own stuff and my son may not follow my interests either.

Here's a few pics of the two. Any thoughts would be good ones at this point
Rhino ? Must be a White Rhino in a snowstorm 😶

How old are the rhinos? might be time to let them both go and get some fresh rhinos?

Are the steel ramps the same size?

If both had a similar life expectancy, I would probably keep the steel, if there was more space on the top part of the ramp where the tires rest (the plateau). I love the Rhino ramps I have (I have the biggest size, the 16K combined weight load) but I dislike the short distance that you have to stop the car, once the tires make it onto that plateau.

I called their tech support when I first bought my ramps. The guy who answered said that there would not be a problem keeping a vehicle on the ramps for several hours; but it should not be left on overnight.

I gotta say that sagging would bother me.

Rhino ramps have been known to slowly sag if you leave a heavy vehicle on them for a long time.

I have a set of rhino ramps that I bought from Napa. They offered them in two different weight capacities. My 2016 Honda CRV would easily work with the lightweight ones but when it comes to putting anything heavy above me I want all the extra safety I can get, so I got the heavy weight ones. Might as well have a little bit of extra capacity that never gets used to ensure that you know you have something that's capable of handling the weight when you're going to be crawling under it.

I’ve always thought those steel ramps seemed dangerous, as if they might crumple or fold since they are unsupported. Might just be me though.

Kwik-lift is an acceptable set of steel ramps though.

Yeah, I bought the heavier ones too. Also, because they are either 1 inch wider or longer at the plateau where the tires rest. I couldn't imagine trying to drive it up with one inch less on either dimension.

I have a set of rhino ramps that I bought from Napa. They offered them in two different weight capacities. My 2016 Honda CRV would easily work with the lightweight ones but when it comes to putting anything heavy above me I want all the extra safety I can get, so I got the heavy weight ones. Might as well have a little bit of extra capacity that never gets used to ensure that you know you have something that's capable of handling the weight when you're going to be crawling under it.

Here are the pics. I haven't used the steel ones in a long while. I'm on the eve of needing bifocals and these close up pics really show that they may be not long in this world.

There's a recycling event two weeks from now and I'm going to give them a final resting place along with a dishawasher that should be recycled into nothingness.

Funny what you can't see on a phone, but is too easy to see once you look at it on a computer screen. Most of what you see is dirt. But even with minimal pitting, I'm not going to bother saving it.

1711676732722.jpg

1711676759610.jpg

1711676811001.jpg

1711676840365.jpg

1711676858256.jpg

1711676886478.jpg

1711677178993.jpg

1711677236760.jpg

1711677246558.jpg

1711677258972.jpg

I'd keep the Rhino ramps. Wider, less likely to skid as you drive up on them.

I've used those metal ones. They pre-date not all, but most fwd. They are not fwd friendly.

I've had a fwd spin and pull one ramp under the car. Or fail to climb it. I just don't like them.

If you use the Rhino on concrete or pavement , not on gravel, and keep them out of the sun, that seem to do fine.

The design of the steel ramps look good. I like the reinforcement bars. Much better than the ones I was thinking of. The rust and other issues does send that set along though.

I'd keep the Rhino ramps. Wider, less likely to skid as you drive up on them.

I've used those metal ones. They pre-date not all, but most fwd. They are not fwd friendly.

I've had a fwd spin and pull one ramp under the car. Or fail to climb it. I just don't like them.

If you use the Rhino on concrete or pavement , not on gravel, and keep them out of the sun, that seem to do fine.
I have that steel set - they slide on concrete - quit using them …

Those steel ones are called widow makers and belong in the scrap pile. The plastic ones? The verticals look so thin and flimsy. Wouldn't use on anything but Civic size. And I image they would kick out on smooth concrete as you try to drive up. If you want something solid, make your own out of three 2x6 lumber.

View attachment 210901
2X6 looks to be not wide enough. The passenger side tire is barely hanging on. Looks sketchy. 2X6 is really 5 1/2 inches wide.
2x8 would have a better safety margin, but weight would be 36% more.

2X6 looks to be not wide enough. The passenger side tire is barely hanging on. Looks sketchy. 2X6 is really 5 1/2 inches wide.
Mine are from 2x10’s = way heavy …

I just had it raised to take some underneath pictures. If I was working under there I would have repositioned. 2x6 is the perfect size. Anything wider is too heavy to move around and the width of the tires are irrelevant.

I would never use old plastic ramps, only ever use welded steel ramps that comply with local safety requirments.

Low Profile Ramp 4.JPG

Low Profile Ramp 3.JPG

Back