RAM about to pass Silverado sales

Originally Posted by JHZR2
The ram has always been handsome, imo. The 1994 modification was really the peak, I don't know that they've gotten better in terms of looks (IMO) since then, but even the older 196x-1993 version was handsome.

Sorry gentlemen for swaying off topic just a moment. Excellent opportunity for me to toot my (Ram) horn, LOL.

JHZR2 mentions both the radical change 1994 Dodge Ram that followed the demise of the "last of the dinosaurs" quoted to me by an assembly line worker at the Dodge Warren Plant north of Detroit.

I (my workplace unit) received the very last model D Ram to come off the assembly line. Chrysler decided to sell the vehicle to my workplace and I was chosen to receive it (use and maintain) because of my reputation of taking good care of my/our vehicles and ag. equipment. The truck served a 13 year life here performing public service of the land grant variety. Sadly, it was auctioned off to a private seller and I have no idea of its whereabouts.

I was proud of that truck. A few times, unknown to my supervisor, I showed the truck at local MOPAR car shows!

I accepted the keys and had to say a few words during the ceremony at the Warren, MI "Dodge City Assembly Plant": I am NOT in this picture:
[Linked Image]

I don't know who designs the Chevy pickups, but they need a new job. The current styling is awful. It looks okay in top level trims, but downright ugly on the lower models. I cringe every time I see the work truck model, it's that bad. The GMC Sierra is a mild improvement but still looks like it got beaten by an ugly stick. The heavy duty models are just as bad, if not worse.

That's just my humble opinion. I realize I'm probably not GM's target demographic. I suspect it's mostly middle age and older folks with kids out of the house that are dropping the equivalent of a house payment on a pickup truck. Same reason we get two dozen different crossover models that all look the same-- older people buy the most cars, so design trends tend to follow the preference of that audience.

I'm a big fan of the early 90's D-series and the 1994-02. Probably my favorite pickup trucks of all. The 2003 redesign didn't do the RAM any favors IMO, but they got a bit better with the '06 facelift, and have gotten better and better since. Of the current pickups, I like the styling of the Ram the best.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Two things:

1. FCA is bundling sales figures of the Ram 1500 (the new, redesigned one) and the Ram Classic (the old one) as total pickup sales. This is effectively counting two different model as one because they share a name.
2. What is the difference in incentive spending between GM and FCA on their trucks coming out of the shutdown? At the end of 2019, FCA was spending almost $1,300 per truck more than GM on incentives and Ram incentives were up 14%, while Silverado incentives were down 8%.

A while back, FCA made a huge fanfare that they were moving full size truck production out of Mexico and back into the States. Today, FCA is still making trucks in Mexico. What changed?

They realized that they could continue selling the old model, toss massive incentives on the hood to move them off the lot, and then count the sales to make up ground against the Silverado.

Remember, this is FCA, the automaker that falsified sales numbers for 4 years to maintain their record for year-over-year sales increases.

Because RAM sells both a new RAM and a RAM Classic their sales don't count? Does the Silverado and the Silverado HD both count? OMG!

Incentives are good for the buyer! See the RAM sales are soaring.

Many Silverados and GMC's are assembled at GM's Silao, Mexico plant. Nothing changed.

The RAM Classic is still in full production. Why? Sales!

Hate RAM if you want, but by any measure RAM is a fantastic success, and Silverado is struggling.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I don't know who designs the Chevy pickups, but they need a new job. The current styling is awful. It looks okay in top level trims, but downright ugly on the lower models. I cringe every time I see the work truck model, it's that bad. The GMC Sierra is a mild improvement but still looks like it got beaten by an ugly stick. The heavy duty models are just as bad, if not worse.

I think you are right. I would be surprised if Chevy does not change its styling course very soon. They have to if they want improved sales.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Two things:

1. FCA is bundling sales figures of the Ram 1500 (the new, redesigned one) and the Ram Classic (the old one) as total pickup sales. This is effectively counting two different model as one because they share a name.
2. What is the difference in incentive spending between GM and FCA on their trucks coming out of the shutdown? At the end of 2019, FCA was spending almost $1,300 per truck more than GM on incentives and Ram incentives were up 14%, while Silverado incentives were down 8%.

A while back, FCA made a huge fanfare that they were moving full size truck production out of Mexico and back into the States. Today, FCA is still making trucks in Mexico. What changed?

They realized that they could continue selling the old model, toss massive incentives on the hood to move them off the lot, and then count the sales to make up ground against the Silverado.

Remember, this is FCA, the automaker that falsified sales numbers for 4 years to maintain their record for year-over-year sales increases.

1. You don't think GM did the same thing when they did it?

2. Ram is currently offering a $2,000 cash allowance and $3,750 for 1500 Classics. . Chevy is offering $5,000 for their 1500.

All trim levels of all quad and crew cab 1500's were and still are made in Michigan, except the Laramie which was also made in Mexico. All single cab 1500's, as well as all 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 trucks are also built in Mexico. 1500 Classics are made in Warren, 5th gens in Sterling Heights.

Suspension, interior and high styling from the RAM.
Drivetrain from the Chevy.
Tech from the Ford.
Quality parts from the Tundra, and
Built on Nissan Titans Canton, Mississippi's production line.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
The previous generation 14-18? were nice looking trucks. The current gen is awkward looking in 1/2 ton and really ugly in HD form.
Plus Ram is really pushing the cheap leases here.

Yup. I really liked the 2018 Z71 in the dark cherry red. The lack of rear AC vents took it off the table. They reappeared with the 2019 redesign. We went with a 2018 Ram Big Horn and have been happy with it. The Ram, Silverado and F150 are all good trucks, it comes down to personal preference.

all the big 3 are flawed till ford addresses the cam phaser issue and chev and dodge get rid of afm and mds. tundra only safe choice

They are all good. I know a BUNCH of people with Rams, Chevys, and Fords (Toyotas and Nissans too) and I never hear any of them complain about them. They all love their respective trucks. I can't think of one that said he's had a problem.

My brother's company has about 5 Chevy's in their fleet and they are all bulletproof. They had a Ford F250 with the 5.4 with 500,000 trouble free miles on it (LOTS of heavy towing) and it was still running great when it was stolen.

I'd tell anyone to find the one that they like best and then buy it and enjoy it. But don't act like the others aren't good. They are very good. Competition is TOUGH. Anyone making a POS gets hurt badly. These company's reputations ride on these trucks, and they know it.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
They are all good. I know a BUNCH of people with Rams, Chevys, and Fords (Toyotas and Nissans too) and I never hear any of them complain about them. They all love their respective trucks. I can't think of one that said he's had a problem.

My brother's company has about 5 Chevy's in their fleet and they are all bulletproof. They had a Ford F250 with the 5.4 with 500,000 trouble free miles on it (LOTS of heavy towing) and it was still running great when it was stolen.

I'd tell anyone to find the one that they like best and then buy it and enjoy it. But don't act like the others aren't good. They are very good. Competition is TOUGH. Anyone making a POS gets hurt badly. These company's reputations ride on these trucks, and they know it.

That's all there is to it.

thumbsup2.gif

Spot on.

Don't go bringing objectivity up in this humpy bumpy 🟢🟡🔴

That's just my humble opinion. I realize I'm probably not GM's target demographic. I suspect it's mostly middle age and older folks with kids out of the house that are dropping the equivalent of a house payment on a pickup truck. Same reason we get two dozen different crossover models that all look the same-- older people buy the most cars, so design trends tend to follow the preference of that audience.

I'm a big fan of the early 90's D-series and the 1994-02. Probably my favorite pickup trucks of all. The 2003 redesign didn't do the RAM any favors IMO, but they got a bit better with the '06 facelift, and have gotten better and better since. Of the current pickups, I like the styling of the Ram the best.

Agreed. Chevy/GMC styling just is plain awful. (Even their cylinder deactivation is cause for concern.) And this "trend" to go with huge grilles and small light enclosures... Ugh. RAM and Ford still have the upper hand in my opinion. Yes, I cringe also... Terrible designs.

Originally Posted by JGmazda

Agreed. Chevy/GMC styling just is plain awful. (Even their cylinder deactivation is cause for concern.) And this "trend" to go with huge grilles and small light enclosures... Ugh. RAM and Ford still have the upper hand in my opinion. Yes, I cringe also... Terrible designs.

Coming from a guy driving a 2008 Sportage.

The best looking truck today is the Jeep Gladiator. Ford is 2nd with their "stadium" headlights, Dodge is 3rd.

Lets not forget Nissan Titan, and there is solid Toyota.

The styling on trucks has gotten out of hand. Since trucks are not aerodynamic by nature, it allows the designers to mess around and still pass the wind tunnel.

Jeep Gladiator is the truck of today. I hate how it has so much brake line on the OUTSIDE of the frame in the wheel well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by super20dan
all the big 3 are flawed till ford addresses the cam phaser issue and chev and dodge get rid of afm and mds. tundra only safe choice

That must be why the sales numbers for the Tundras are so low........

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

The best looking truck today is the Jeep Gladiator. Ford is 2nd with their "stadium" headlights, Dodge is 3rd.

Lets not forget Nissan Titan, and there is solid Toyota.

The styling on trucks has gotten out of hand. Since trucks are not aerodynamic by nature, it allows the designers to mess around and still pass the wind tunnel.

Jeep Gladiator is the truck of today. I hate how it has so much brake line on the OUTSIDE of the frame in the wheel well.

You must have not read the reviews......they are not that great.

Back