Bought a 2017 Ram Express 3.6L, 8spd 4x4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I've had the truck bug for years but managed to refrain. The last one I owned was a 1998 Chevy W/T, 4.3L reg cab shorty and I sold it in 2002 and bought an SUV because we needed car seat room for kiddos.

I had been doing a bunch of truck research and shopping recently for the father-in-law who ultimately bought a used 2017 Nissan Frontier SV crew cab 4x4. I had this particular Ram on my FIL's short list, but he didn't want anything but a Frontier so all other make/models were ignored. All this research and shopping was my demise! lol

I kept watching this Ram because it was for sale at a very small mom/pop owned Buick, GMC dealer about 30 miles out of town, and they slowly kept lowering the asking price. It wound up being the perfect storm of being on the lot since late January, being the end of the month and the fact it's not a Ram dealership. The truck has 8300mi on it and was owned for 9mo (verifed by CarFax) by a local gent who traded it for a more loaded GMC Sierra.

Got it for $22800 + TTL and traded my Forester towards it. I got what I researched was fair for the Forester. Just under KBB "excellent condition" value for it. What's insane is, the sticker for Ram was something like $36-38K. I'll post up some pics when I pick'er up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this one is it or not? Miles are a little higher than previously mentioned but everything else matches up.

Truck

That's the one! These pics are lousy. I messed up on the mileage. Confusing it with FILs recent truck purchase. Mileage is indeed in the low 12K mi range.

The only oddity in this pic is it clearly shows the 17" aluminum wheels, when it's actually got the steelies with the OEM black plastic wheel covers. I'm totally fine with that setup, other than not understanding what happened to the originals?

I figure I'm going to take about a 40% hit on fuel expense compared to my 2016 Forester. With gas at ~$2.90/gal that's about a $60/mo increase in fuel cost for me. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Two things I'd do immediately to really set it off:

1. tonneau cover (hard or fiberglass color-matched)
2. White letter tires

Congrats on the truck.

Originally Posted By: JTK
What's insane is, the sticker for Ram was something like $36-38K.

My brother in law just bought the exact same car brand new 2018 model and got $10k off MSRP. I was with him because he's not much of a car guy and wanted me to accompany him. So that might be why you were able to get it for that price.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: JTK
What's insane is, the sticker for Ram was something like $36-38K.

My brother in law just bought the exact same car brand new 2018 model and got $10k off MSRP. I was with him because he's not much of a car guy and wanted me to accompany him. So that might be why you were able to get it for that price.

It seems like sticker prices for domestics are some sort of pipe dream. I can see where this truck can be had for $27-28K brand-new, no miles.

I recommend going to a Ram dealer and purchasing a MaxCare lifetime warranty if you plan to keep it long. It should cost around $3500 I think. When those trucks break it tends to be expensive. They are good trucks and can go a long time without breaking but when they do it tends to be something major. If you are only going to keep it for a few years and 100k miles or so I wouldn't worry about it.

I took one for a test drive a month ago. Was impressed with how peppy it was. I then test drove a GMC canyon with a 3.6. Surprised that the heavier Ram seemed spunkier. I might buy one next week. At 30K (with almost 10k incentives/rebates) I'm about to pull the trigger. I got 270K on my 2004 Ram so I got no gripe with Ram.

Just bought 2018 RAM 1500 Reg Cab/Short Bed, 3.6/8 speed/3.21 rear gear open dif. Tradesman with chrome package + power window etc package + popular package. $30,400 sticker - 5250 incentives = My new truck. With only 600 miles to date I'm averaging 22.9 MPG. Me = Very Happy. This is my 3rd RAM 1500, 1 2012 Hemi/5 speed auto, 1 2014 3.6/8 speed auto, present RAM 3.6/8speed auto.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Just bought 2018 RAM 1500 Reg Cab/Short Bed, 3.6/8 speed/3.21 rear gear open dif. Tradesman with chrome package + power window etc package + popular package. $30,400 sticker - 5250 incentives = My new truck. With only 600 miles to date I'm averaging 22.9 MPG. Me = Very Happy. This is my 3rd RAM 1500, 1 2012 Hemi/5 speed auto, 1 2014 3.6/8 speed auto, present RAM 3.6/8speed auto.

MRSP was 30,400? Was it 4x2?

Originally Posted By: oldhp

That's a nice deal for brand new.

The sticker price on this Express quad cab 4x4 is $38810 with the packages added. U-connect, power options, 32g fuel tank (yikes), etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back