Bought a 2017 Ram Express 3.6L, 8spd 4x4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. Looks like you did well. If I were to do a truck again I'd be tempted by something similar.

32gallons might hurt to fill, but there's been a few times I've been sad to only have 26gallons. You could always just fill up at half tank--costs exactly the same over the long run, but perhaps lessens the pain each time.

JTK--you'll love that engine / tranny combo! I had the same truck (2015 Quad Express 4X4) until December 2017 at which time I traded for my current Hemi-powered 2017 Crew Cab Big Horn. I wasn't looking for a new truck in December but found myself at the dealer for a state inspection--while waiting I started talking to a sales rep and told him to quote me a 2017 Big Horn with the same 3.6L / 8-speed tranny combo. Sadly, all they have on the lot are Hemi's and that's what they were having a blow-out sale on. Honestly, I didn't think the numbers would ever come close to working, but they discounted the 2017 heavily, and gave me way more for trade-in on the 2015 than I would have ever dreamed. The trade up was equal roughly to the cost of the higher trim-line.

I loved the Express, but I wanted more options like back-up cam, nav, crew-cab, heated seats etc. I would have preferred the 3.6L engine on the 2017, but the Hemi is nice to have and lower gas mileage doesn't really bother much as I don't put a lot of miles on.

As for the extended warranty. . . I don't bother with them--I'd rather bank the money for maintenance and roll the dice that nothing major happens.

Have fun with the new truck!

Thanks for the encouragement all!

Yeah, I typically don't buy extended warranties and I definitely would not pay thousands for one.

I will surely miss the practicality and economy of my Subaru Forester. There are a few things that I will NOT miss.

1) Annoyingly long shift delay going from P to R or D. If you are in a hurry or not familiar with this 'feature', you will rev and clunk it.
2) Super weak HVAC. Another Subaru thing I've read of many folks complaining about over the years on Subaru boards.
3) Not the most comfortable seats in the base model. Zero lumbar support. This would bother me often after a 12hr shift, especially when caught in traffic.

My son has a 2014 with the ECO diesel and he loves it. It gets the same or better mileage than my wife's 09 CRV. The only thing I would suggest is to get the bed sprayed.

Congrats on the new truck.

On the bigger gas tank, yes, it may hurt to fill it up, but just remember that you aren't actually using any more gas - just stopping at the gas station less frequently. When I shopped for my F150, the optional 36 gallon tank was mandatory in my book. Haven't regretted it one bit - and if you ever tow anything for some distance, the bigger tank is great. I tow a boat for a fishing trip yearly - the old truck was a Ram with a small gs tank, and we stopped twice going up, and once coming back. With my truck, we stopped once on the way up - and that's it. Still burned a similar amount of gas though...

Picked her up today. Loving it so far. The ride is unbelievably nice IMO. I've got a lot to sorting out to do with all the buttons and display options. WOW.

I had to shake my head at the dealership. Of course the truck's fuel gauge was pretty close to E. "Umm. Our policy on used cars is to supply them with no more than 1/2 a tank of gas". I had to drive the sales person to the gas station and he bought me ~$30 worth, which brought it to just shy of 1/2 a tank. I reset the fuel economy before heading home and managed 23.8 mpg for 30 miles of stop and go driving per the dash computer. For those Buffalonians familiar with Transit Rd, I took it pretty much the full length from Lockport to Orchard Park and hit almost all of the 100 red lights on the way. I'm exaggerating on the 100, but it feels like it.

Under the hood looks really funny. There appears to be over a foot of open space between the crank pulley and the E-fan. There's a huge open area where you can see clear to the ground. Enough space for a skinny person to stand right in there. All the maintenance points are open and super accessible for the DIY, with exception to the left side cylinder bank and coil-overs. Looks like that might require removal of the plastic intake manifold.

ZFlBPS7.jpg

Originally Posted By: Subdued
You took Transit that whole way?

What time of day was this? This is important information!

LOL! It was around 1230p. Traffic wasn't too bad at the time actually..

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Subdued
You took Transit that whole way?

What time of day was this? This is important information!

LOL! It was around 1230p. Traffic wasn't too bad at the time actually..

Peak lunch time.

You're a brave man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back