Another help-me-choose-the-truck thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so we're looking to get back into a truck. We need it for several reasons, all can be considered light duty. We need the functionality, plus it will likely get high miles on it.

I've narrowed this down to 3 trucks for a myriad of reasons. What I'm hoping is that I can get help with my decisions based on what I like and don't like that I'll list here for each truck. The reason I'm asking for help is because the finalists here all have pros and cons in my eyes.

I'm not going to tow much, so that's a non issue. Other vehicles aren't listed because I just wasn't interested for one reason or another, so it's down to A, B, or C. Who ya got?!?!

Thanks in advance!

A. 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport/Off Road

Solid truck, reliable - tried, tested and true
We had an '06 and loved it - never should have sold it
Great resale value
From looking and talking to a couple dealers...could get a pretty good deal as the new 16s come in and would be the cheapest to purchase of the 3 choices most likely
Port injected engine - I irrationally hate DI

Dislikes:
Pretty bad MPG for my 26 mile one-way commute - worst of the 3
Long in the tooth, interior not refined
Most cramped back seat of the 3 (baby seat)

B. Chevy Colorado Z71 diesel (Assuming I like how the diesel drives -- not out yet)

MPG potential for sure (assuming it gets better MPG than the Ram ED)
Great interior...much more refined than the Tacoma
Truck has a great ride
More room in the back seat for the baby seat
IMO this truck looks the best of the 3
Wouldn't mind trying out owning a diesel vehicle for the first time in my life - cool factor to me

Dislikes:
Potential for diesel emissions system problems - 1st year in the U.S. for the engine - not sure I want to be a guinea pig
Price point could be a deal breaker for all the bells and whistles with the diesel mark up - north of $40k?
General higher maintenance cost of diesels kills the MPG gains?

C. Ram 1500 Pentastar 3.6L V6

Reviews on the V6 are good - plenty of power for my needs
MPGs are pretty good as well, relatively speaking
Interior is by far the best of the 3 - great comforts and lots of space, obviously, since it's a full size
Port injected engine
Huge discounts on the 15s right now

Dislikes:
Terrible resale if needed
Barely fits in the garage (seriously...inches to spare)
Almost fits into the "Too much truck" category
I think I like the ride of the mid size trucks a touch better

So based on what I have listed, which is the better way to go? Don't get bogged down by the fact that the trucks are all pretty different. That's part of the conundrum.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Get a 2.7 Tacoma.

Nevermind- I'm an idiot.

Never considered that, but I live in a very hilly area. Would I just be crushing the accelerator all the time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Get a 2.7 Tacoma.

Nevermind- I'm an idiot.

Never considered that, but I live in a very hilly area. Would I just be crushing the accelerator all the time?

Yes you would. The new Tacoma V6 gets almost the same mileage as the 4 banger. Along with all the NVH of a 4.

The new RAM is bonkers, if you drive it it will likely sell itself. I bet it will yield at least the same if not better mileage...

Can you wait a few months to see how the diesel GM trucks pan out? I like the looks of the Canyon, and may try to borrow one for a day to see what actual fuel economy is like.

The 2.7 Tacoma is outdated and underpowered unless you've got a single cab and won't ever be towing or hauling much.

A friend-of-a-friend had a small engined Toyota truck in the Adirondacks (NY State) and sold it due the hideous mileage. He was always revving its guts out.

What makes it more interesting is that his was one with the completely replaced frame. Loved it otherwise.

I'm not commenting on any of the trucks' attributes either way, but...

...if you prefer to keep your vehicles in your garage (as I do myself), seriously consider how easy it will be to park any of them on a day-in/day-out basis. If you literally have inches to spare, you WILL at some point either back into your rear garage wall, not back in far enough and the garage door will clip your front bumper as it lowers, or both.

As you can infer from my signature, I'm a fan of not buying more than you need, regardless of price. I was born in these great United States, but I didn't seem to inherit our culture of bigger-is-better or more-is-more. I believe that more really is less sometimes, but each person has to decide that for themselves.

All of those trucks are fine vehicles, and each will likely deliver many happy miles' of ownership into the future. Follow your heart and buy what you want.

If the Tacoma does not work out it has silly resale.

I once bought a (mistake) car purchased at high discount and was able to walk away selling for $1000 loss after 2.5 years/35k driving. (2004 STI).

If I lived in WVA, I would seriously consider a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, four-wheel-drive.

I can put two kids and one adult in the back or three adults with no problem.

And the bed is deep enough so you can haul just about anything without worrying if its going to tip over and fall out.

And BTW, the grandboys nemed it, "Franky the Frontier."

I wish that I had gotten a picture of the following...

A few doors down from where we were building a house (this was a several years back), a brand-new Dodge Ram Mega-Cab shows up at one of the neighbors.

The problem was, he figured out a bit too late that his expensive brand new toy wouldn't fit in his garage.

It sat out on the driveway for about a week, and then I stopped seeing it. I figured that he took his beating, and traded it in, on something that would fit inside the garage.

Until one day, I drove by and the overhead door on the garage was up. The Mega-Cab was parked in the garage, with the rear bumper removed.

That was a painful lesson learned for him.

A or B depending on what you like. Mopars are garbage.

I'm not sold on the "economy" of Diesel as in our area Diesel is higher than mid grade or premium gas depending on the time of year. Not much savings, IMHO when you add it all up.

Although if you are going full size, drive them all - Toyota, Nissa, Ford, and GM.

Get a 2.7 Tacoma.

Nevermind- I'm an idiot.

As mentioned do some test drives. I had a 2006 Toyota Access cab manual 4X4 with the 2.7 4 cyl . I really liked it and it did mountains better than my same type 1992 Toyota with the 3.0 V6. My son has it now and likes the truck.

Get a 2.7 Tacoma.

Nevermind- I'm an idiot.

If I'm not wrong I think the 2.7 gets about as bad mileage as the 4.0 because of how underpowered it is.

OP, have you considered the new Tacoma as well? The '16? With the new 3.5 and 6spd auto or manual. That is the route I would go, but I understand wanting to save the large amounts on the '15s because of the new '16s.

My dad has a '13 Tacoma and while it is a great truck it does get [censored] mileage and I'm not a fan of the 5spd auto either. It seems to upshift so quick that you'll be in 5th(top gear) at like 40-45mph while still trying to get up to the speed limit. I have a light foot and am all for tuning for mileage but this is one veicle I felt it was a little extreme in. I bet the Colorado and Ram will make it look supid with how old the 4.0 and 5spd auto are in comparison.

You're commuting 50+ miles per day, will have a baby seat in it, and occasionally use the "truck" as a truck?

You need a car, hatchback, CUV, or similar that will work better 90% of the time (and be cheaper to purchase, better gas mileage, cheaper tires, etc), and a small, cheap utility trailer for the other 10% of the time.

You want a truck.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You're commuting 50+ miles per day, will have a baby seat in it, and occasionally use the "truck" as a truck?

You need a car, hatchback, CUV, or similar that will work better 90% of the time (and be cheaper to purchase, better gas mileage, cheaper tires, etc), and a small, cheap utility trailer for the other 10% of the time.

You want a truck.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back