Another help-me-choose-the-truck thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I know it isn't listed by the OP ......but check out the Ford F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. It maybe just what you want.

Agreed. The new 2.7 is supposed to be a spectacular little engine.."Little" putting out 325hp/375tq.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You're commuting 50+ miles per day, will have a baby seat in it, and occasionally use the "truck" as a truck?

You need a car, hatchback, CUV, or similar that will work better 90% of the time (and be cheaper to purchase, better gas mileage, cheaper tires, etc), and a small, cheap utility trailer for the other 10% of the time.

You want a truck.

So...you deduce all of that from knowing nothing more about me than my commute? Do you know what I do? What my wife does? Where we live? What our property is like and needs? What are parents' properties are like?

I have a good MPG car, we traded our truck to get it, and under estimated the need for a vehicle with an open bed.

Thanks for the input, I guess.

If you can get a great deal on the "old" tacoma, go for it. you can depend on it doing 3 things: Getting sub par gas mileage, never breaking, always being worth a lot of money.

That said i would look hard at a 6 cylinder Ram, the Colorado, and the F150. The ecodiesel Ram seems to hold its value very strongly in the used market but with it only coming in 2014 its too soon to tell.

The F150 for example, if you don't have to have 4x4, you can get the ex cab 3.5 non turbo V6 for 30k msrp and it only weighs 4371 lbs. Its a very strong value proposition.

The silverado can also make a good case for itself in many configurations.

Trucks are awesome, and having too much truck is not a bad problem to have.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why does the Colorado have to be diesel? Why not a 3.6 4x4?

1. its a car engine
2. they are overpriced by a mile
3. the resale value will drop like the heaviest stone on earth's face

Originally Posted By: dareo

Trucks are awesome, and having too much truck is not a bad problem to have.

Agree! +1

I know there is a bit of an anti-truck crowd here....but ask any truck guy or gal and they will tell you once you have one in your stable most drive one for life. They are just so versatile and with all the different configurations available today they fit almost every walk of life.

It doesn't take long for the "you don't need a truck" crowd to attack.

I'd skip the 4-cylinder pickups unless you're just delivering parts for an auto parts store.

thunderfog, I went by the info in your original post. Mentioned the commute, high miles, over the years, and little, light truck use. Sorry if I was off-base.

If its going to include some property/farm type use, maybe a good condition used truck will be a better value? Then you won't worry about getting it scratched up, and the money saved can buy lots of fuel...

To the anti truck crowd: I intend to own TWO trucks eventually. Why? I will never part with my trusty T100 and i still want a new / luxury style truck for family hauling or heavier towing. If its just me doing some dirty job i will take the T100 and keep my (Lariat, Laramie, LTZ) clean. Trucks are awesome, this is America and we love trucks.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why does the Colorado have to be diesel? Why not a 3.6 4x4?

1. its a car engine
2. they are overpriced by a mile
3. the resale value will drop like the heaviest stone on earth's face

1. Didn't know there was such a thing. Ram uses the 3.6 from a Chrysler 200 in a Ram pick up. Car or truck engine? How about the 4.6 Ford? That went in cars and trucks too.

2. Apparently not, they can't keep them in stock.

3. I wish, I'd love to pick one up in 3 years for 50% of MSRP, but my guess is they'll be 80%-90%.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
thunderfog, I went by the info in your original post. Mentioned the commute, high miles, over the years, and little, light truck use. Sorry if I was off-base.

If its going to include some property/farm type use, maybe a good condition used truck will be a better value? Then you won't worry about getting it scratched up, and the money saved can buy lots of fuel...

Roger that, and I apologize for my snarkiness. I'm blaming it on a newborn that thinks sleeping during the overnight is over-rated and what is probably me passing a small kidney stone (holy h-e-double hockey sticks).

Now for transparency, yeah, we do want a truck again, because we like trucks which is whywe would prefer a loaded version. But it will have some usefulness well beyond just a commuter vehicle and the seasonal mulch-haul.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I know it isn't listed by the OP ......but check out the Ford F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. It maybe just what you want.
He says the Ram 1500 just barely fits his garage. The Ford F-150 would have the same problem.

I like the idea of getting a Nissan Frontier, but only if it is the V6 version.

Love my 2012 Ford with the 3.7L plain jane. But......it is mighty ungainly for daily use. There is just an enormous, child-sized blind spot directly behind the vehicle which scares the you know what out of me. I have no doubt that it will last years.

You won't go far wrong with a Tacoma. Sorry mileage---no better than my Ford---but otherwise highly practical. It will last longer than you care to drive it. Better join the Autogeek forum, so you don't end up driving an immortal junk-heap with a perfect engine. The price premium will be forgotten in six months.

Discounted Dodge sounds good. See discussion of Ford above. Among American full-size trucks, I'd shop mostly based on price.

As to the full-size and probably the Tacoma too, just incredible capability for these vehicles per dollar spent. Whether you want it or not.

Last edited:
The Ram w/ the 3.6L all day. A real full sized truck and the MPG is not bad at all. 300+ HP when you need to use that truck like a truck as well. I wouldn't even consider the Tacoma. I had one( granted 1st year of this current style so much older )with the 4.0L V6( dbl cab 4wd )and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. I hated that thing with a passion. Sold it after just 7.5 months. The financial "bath" I took selling a new vehicle so soon was well worth every penny to get out of that lemon on wheels. The new GM trucks look nice. Don't know enough about them to really comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back