Ram 1500 EV

Cottage industry opportunity? Liquid cooled, high efficiency toolbox genset capable of stage 2, with some code that supports as-rolling operation? Buy your short range BEV pickup, spend 3k on this, voilá. bonus points for diesel.
Good idea.

C50D2F36-8B5A-489E-AB75-16BC9966D047.jpeg

Why not simply make it a plug in hybrid, (with a big battery) with all the benefits of MPG improvements of a hybrid and electric drive?

The "cordless Tesla" was a very interesting experiment. For those who have not looked at this experiment, it was simply a small, high voltage, 10,000 watt generator mounted in back, (about 13.4HP worth of electrical power) that directly provided power to the battery pack. Not enough power to maintain battery charge on the highway, but could run all night and recharge the battery. What's interesting is just how horrible the MPG's were.

I've said it many times, but the stack of losses involved in EV's does not lead to 105mpg-e. It leads 14 mpg. The idea that an engine driving a generator, through a charge controller, charging a battery, discharging a battery, running through a motor controller, driving a motor is somehow efficient, is utter nonsense. Directly driving a wheel with an efficient modern engine is always more efficient. This is why Honda Hybrids DIRECTLY couple the engine to the wheels at highway speeds.

Fast forward to 14:56 for MPG/efficiency numbers.

Fun video. This engine/genset combo… where is the alternator head? Under the primary flywheel? I could not make it out from any angle.

Attachments

• 80BF25F3-2A20-4647-88B1-BE1C03372045.jpg
    80BF25F3-2A20-4647-88B1-BE1C03372045.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 12
BMW i3 was a clown car sold by a Luxury car maker. They purposefully pulled a Toyota Prius move making it look like a dork mobile . It failed epically as it should have .

Good for RAM. They sell enough of ICE to dabble in EV market and keep feet in both places. I think best move is dabbling in EV is best move for auto makers.

BMW i3 was a clown car sold by a Luxury car maker. They purposefully pulled a Toyota Prius move making it look like a dork mobile . It failed epically as it should have .

Good for RAM. They sell enough of ICE to dabble in EV market and keep feet in both places. I think best move is dabbling in EV is best move for auto makers.
Those i3 cars were everywhere around here, I can tell you that much. While it is not for me, owners loved 'em.

I have evidence that electricity isn’t the answer. It’s published by the EPA but nobody mentions it. Read this:
https://www.epa.gov/eps-partnership/sulfur-hexafluoride-sf6-basics
I guess if the trend continues eventually fluoride gases will accumulate in the atmosphere, but I suspect there are replacements that have much less greenhouse effects.
I think electricity still is the answer for many applications as a replacement for fossil fuels, and of course still needs some R&D for decades to come.

As you may or may not know, Ram has confirmed an EV truck, but today they’ve announced it will have a range extender as well. I think it’s a great idea. They even opened up a thing where you can sign up and give them your thoughts and opinions on what the EV Ram should have/do/whatever.

Devils advocate: it’ll be some enormous range extender that can power a city block, because Ram. Also probably Hellcat engine.

Again, I still don’t understand why PHEV or “range extender” models haven’t pursued a smaller, maybe 3 cyl turbodiesel that could literally be made a match in heaven for efficiency. Designed from the ground up, one could determine the charging load required and the alternator/generator size needed so that when the TD kicked on, it would always run at a constant speed that also happened to coincide with peak (minimum) BSFC. Considering it would be at steady-state RPM, it would also be insanely easy to size the turbo for optimum efficiency as well. That means for periodic top-ups it would turn on, charge, and turn off; but if the battery were nearly fully depleted the PHEV would essentially mimic the operation of a diesel locomotive which would then run continuously (maybe at a slightly reduced max output) for the remainder of the diesel tank range but the vehicle propulsion would remain wholly electric, so no engine/motor/gearbox sandwiches necessary.

Considering Kohler can make 1.1L 3cyl TDs that pass emissions with SCR, I fail to see why there’s not more done on this front. 🤷‍♂️

Again, I still don’t understand why PHEV or “range extender” models haven’t pursued a smaller, maybe 3 cyl turbodiesel that could literally be made a match in heaven for efficiency. Designed from the ground up, one could determine the charging load required and the alternator/generator size needed so that when the TD kicked on, it would always run at a constant speed that also happened to coincide with peak (minimum) BSFC. Considering it would be at steady-state RPM, it would also be insanely easy to size the turbo for optimum efficiency as well. That means for periodic top-ups it would turn on, charge, and turn off; but if the battery were nearly fully depleted the PHEV would essentially mimic the operation of a diesel locomotive which would then run continuously (maybe at a slightly reduced max output) for the remainder of the diesel tank range but the vehicle propulsion would remain wholly electric, so no engine/motor/gearbox sandwiches necessary.

Considering Kohler can make 1.1L 3cyl TDs that pass emissions with SCR, I fail to see why there’s not more done on this front. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Edison Motors is doing that for vocational trucks up in Canada… though they’re using a CAT C9 for the diesel-electric models.

I can only assume it has to do with ICE range extender-equipped vehicles being primarily built for compliance purposes in North America. It seems regulators want to make the use of range extenders more or less an emergency/get home function, rather than something which can be used at will by the driver to suit their trip. For that reason, the market for the type of vehicle you're describing is reduced, likely to a point that it doesn't make financial sense for a manufacturer to produce such a vehicle.

While there may be engineering challenges I'm not aware of, the type of configuration you're describing is very interesting to me, particularly for a pickup. The battery could be used for running errands around town and allow for regenerative braking. The ICE power plant could run at max efficiency during heavy load or to top up the battery. If I'm towing with that vehicle, being forced to wait until the battery is at/below 10% state of charge is unacceptable, as is being forced to accept an artificially constrained fuel tank capacity.

Those i3 cars were everywhere around here, I can tell you that much. While it is not for me, owners loved 'em.
A friend of mine had one; I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, 35" sleeves, and 15 shoes. There wasn't a shoehorn sturdy enough to get me in.:)
My boss, ~35 years ago, drove a 325is. I fit ok. He was having it serviced, and the loaner was a Z3. I asked the salesman if I could try it. The top was down. My eyes were level with the top of the windshield. I don't remember if I could move my feet.:)

Not complaining or picking at them, just different cars for different people.

Lame, still just a concept vehicle - basically nothing for specs 👎🏻👎🏻

Press release:

View attachment 134140
Takes 10 minutes to add 100 miles of range, at best. What a turd. Can add 400 miles of range to my ICE stuff in 5 mins. Don't see how these will work for road trips, or towing. I would have expected a breakthrough given how they hyped it up and bragged about taking people's feedback into consideration for building the "ultimate" truck. It's less functional than any Ram you can buy today. Plus, can't wait to see how the doors shut without the B pillar after the typical Ram rust sets in after 5 years.

Takes 10 minutes to add 100 miles of range, at best. What a turd. Can add 400 miles of range to my ICE stuff in 5 mins. Don't see how these will work for road trips, or towing. I would have expected a breakthrough given how they hyped it up and bragged about taking people's feedback into consideration for building the "ultimate" truck. It's less functional than any Ram you can buy today. Plus, can't wait to see how the doors shut without the B pillar after the typical Ram rust sets in after 5 years.
It's not a turd as it doesnt exist. CONCEPT

Yep, info is out, it's not going to be range-extended like a Volt, it's going to be a pure EV.

I suspect cost to manufacture and packaging is why they made it a pure EV.

They'll probably still sell every one they can make like the F-150 lightning.

Back