Ram 1500 EV

As you may or may not know, Ram has confirmed an EV truck, but today they’ve announced it will have a range extender as well. I think it’s a great idea. They even opened up a thing where you can sign up and give them your thoughts and opinions on what the EV Ram should have/do/whatever.

Devils advocate: it’ll be some enormous range extender that can power a city block, because Ram. Also probably Hellcat engine.

Hooray, Stellantis recycled ideas from the Chevrolet Volt and BMW i3.

Both of those vehicles have been discontinued.
Yes, a compact car which historically sells terrible in the US anyway and a subcompact car which also doesn’t sell well in the states. Who could have ever guessed they’d not sell well in a nation obsessed with trucks, SUV’s, and crossovers.

Yes, a compact car which historically sells terrible in the US anyway and a subcompact car which also doesn’t sell well in the states. Who could have ever guessed they’d not sell well in a nation obsessed with trucks, SUV’s, and crossovers.
Also, the i3 was crippled by its programming and fuel tank size. If the Ram EV isn't pigeonholed as a compliance vehicle, perhaps they'll be able to give customers more flexibility as to when the range extender kicks in. If I could tell the vehicle to maintain (or attempt to maintain) 80% charge in certain scenarios, that would be a huge plus in my view.

Also, the i3 was crippled by its programming and fuel tank size. If the Ram EV isn't pigeonholed as a compliance vehicle, perhaps they'll be able to give customers more flexibility as to when the range extender kicks in. If I could tell the vehicle to maintain (or attempt to maintain) 80% charge in certain scenarios, that would be a huge plus in my view.
$60,000msrp crippled most trims of i3

Oddly it still sold well for many more years than BMW predicted.

Had it been priced more reasonably, more reliable, and not with a purposely crippled gas tank / hold mode it would have sold even better.

Who doesn’t like a car that can’t rust?

$60,000msrp crippled most trims of i3

Oddly it still sold well for many more years than BMW predicted.

Had it been priced more reasonably, more reliable, and not with a purposely crippled gas tank / hold mode it would have sold even better.

Who doesn’t like a car that can’t rust?

Even at it's peak in 2019 the i3 only sold a measly 39.5K units on the entire planet, that kind of sales numbers could only be considered a success by the folks at Volvo who decided to launch Polestar as a separate brand.

I heard they're using the sound system to simulate the Hemi tick for a more realistic experience.

I was also told it will be louder upon start up and also begin to increase volume of the tick around 80k miles. Once it reaches 100k it will increase the volume monthly until the electronic engine simulates a cylinder dropping out.
Its amazing how technology has progressed to make simulations so life like.

and as I scroll down I see this..
Which makes me think they haven't figured a thing out about how this will all work.

Will it be a "train" - Or will it have a physical final drive connection like the volt which was more efficient than a pure electric for its architecture.
Where will the battery be located?
How many KWH will it have?
What will its MPKWH be in 2WD, and 4WD?
How about the extender?
Will you be able to select one or the other or both?
A little water cooled diesel would be exempt from smog, but 24HP wont cut it for a load full towing load - but will for cruising.
Or a bigger but still small turbo gasoline engine with maybe 70-100HP?
??
?
?

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.21.36 PM.png

As a truck owner and conservative late adopter, a range extender for me would be extremely attractive, but not if it comes at the expense of going for an upper trim where the prices are even more stupid. Based on that, I may never see an electric truck, and the gasser I have now could be around a long time.

Even at it's peak in 2019 the i3 only sold a measly 39.5K units on the entire planet, that kind of sales numbers could only be considered a success by the folks at Volvo who decided to launch Polestar as a separate brand.
Sort of a straw man argument
The i3 was supposed to be a rolling tech demo sold for 3 years, BMW had firm production limits for 2014/15/16.
BMW continued selling them long after the intended limited sales period.

BMW has many “models” that sell that number or less annually within the US.

The luxury market rarely sells millions of one model car a year, 100k+ is uncommon in that space except amongst “volume sellers” like the 5 series but they group every model of the 5 series together to get the hundreds of thousands units metric which is the exception not the rule in that space.

$60,000+ Luxury cars do not sell in the volumes of F150s and are a very fragmented market with lots of models and few sales.

One could argue the traditional luxury car market like the 5 series is in
Is on its deathbed amongst all brands, given its shrinking size

Last edited:
and as I scroll down I see this..
Which makes me think they haven't figured a thing out about how this will all work.

Will it be a "train" - Or will it have a physical final drive connection like the volt which was more efficient than a pure electric for its architecture.
Where will the battery be located?
How many KWH will it have?
What will its MPKWH be in 2WD, and 4WD?
How about the extender?
Will you be able to select one or the other or both?
A little water cooled diesel would be exempt from smog, but 24HP wont cut it for a load full towing load - but will for cruising.
Or a bigger but still small turbo gasoline engine with maybe 70-100HP?
??
?
?

View attachment 88593
When I read it, I get the feeling that maybe they want to try to get it right from the beginning. It seems that while everyone else is rushing to get their EV out, RAM is considering options that will make it better than those that were "rushed" out to market. I can almost guarantee that they'll all have teething problems, but there's nothing wrong with asking for input from your customers.

"The company has already confirmed it will deliver the Ram 1500 Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) to market in 2024. It's notable for being several years later than the competition, with the Rivian R1T already shipping and the Ford F-150 Lightning due out this year. GM's effort, the Chevrolet Silverado EV, will drop in 2023. However, Ram doesn't see this as a problem; instead, it's using the time to refine its product in order to best its rivals."

When I read it, I get the feeling that maybe they want to try to get it right from the beginning. It seems that while everyone else is rushing to get their EV out, RAM is considering options that will make it better than those that were "rushed" out to market. I can almost guarantee that they'll all have teething problems, but there's nothing wrong with asking for input from your customers.

"The company has already confirmed it will deliver the Ram 1500 Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) to market in 2024. It's notable for being several years later than the competition, with the Rivian R1T already shipping and the Ford F-150 Lightning due out this year. GM's effort, the Chevrolet Silverado EV, will drop in 2023. However, Ram doesn't see this as a problem; instead, it's using the time to refine its product in order to best its rivals."
That’s the feeling I get as well, kind of like they’re saying “we see your complaints about EV trucks, help us address them.”

Sort of a straw man argument
The i3 was supposed to be a rolling tech demo sold for 3 years, BMW had firm production limits for 2014/15/16.
BMW continued selling them long after the intended limited sales period.

BMW has many “models” that sell that number or less annually within the US.

Honestly I don't believe for one second that BMW spent a fortune on developing the oddball i3 and building a cf plant in the middle of nowhere (aka Moses Lake, WA) just so they could sell i3's for 3 years. Every manufacturer regardless of industry is concerned with maximizing return on investment or in the case of the i3 driving up the economies of scale in the hope to eventually making money one day. Also killing the i3 in 2017 would have been very bad press for BMW considering that would mean their sole EV at the time would have been the super niche, and super expensive i8. It would of been a real stretch for BMW to tout it's green credentials if they only had the $150K i8 which they sold all of 488 in the US that year.

Test drove one, I trash talked it every single time I see post about and you can search for everything that's wrong about it.

I haven't seen them on the road anymore, seems like other than Tesla I still see Nissan Leaf (they are disappearing for sure), Chevy Bolt / Volt, Prius Prime, eGolf, etc. BMW just took all the shortcut they could to comply with the law but you can tell it is not a good car, BMW or not.

This was supposed to revealed yesterday, but they pushed it back to to the CES in January.

Still rumors of some sort of range-extender ICE engine.

Todd Goyer, a spokesman for the brand, said in a company statement:

“And, it is absolutely packed with leading-edge advanced technology features the world has never seen before. Because of its wide array of advanced tech — as well as the brand’s recent global growth and potential for more — it makes perfect sense to reveal the vehicle at CES 2023 — the world’s most influential tech event."

( Ram CEO)Koval said the truck would "push past" what competitors like Ford and Chevrolet have announced and what customers expect in an electric truck's "core attributes."

Back