Ford F-150 EV Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Oops, already posted in another forum.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-the-f-series-ford-exec-says#Post4981393

Full EV F-150 confirmed by Ford. Plus a Hybrid version.

Originally Posted by Detroit Free Press
We're going to be electrifying the F-Series — battery electric and hybrid," Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets, said Wednesday during a presentation at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in the MGM Grand in Detroit.

In framing the company's redesign, Farley said a move toward all-electric and hybrid would "futureproof" the billion-dollar F-Series franchise, which he called a "global juggernaut."

John McElroy, a longtime industry observer and host of "Autoline This Week," said, "When he says ‘battery electric,' what I'm taking that to mean is a battery electric vehicle. Pure electric. They've said they would have a hybrid plug-in version of the F-150. But this is different than what they've talked about in the past."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...UdBYw2VZNigCwO3MfANAJ29mYNteFR40st1DnHXk

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
lame

+1 No thanks. It should be interesting to see just how good it is when the early adopters report back.

It'll be interesting.

I wonder how well it will work. Most people aren't driving that far. Even loaded. Yes some do--but I wonder, just what is the actual percentage of people who do.

Tesla has their supercharger stations. Is having to charge every couple hours (for what, 15 minutes?) going to kill anyone? Sure, I've been on road trips where I've sat in the seat for 6+ hours. I'm not getting any younger though. There's only been once that I've regretted the small gas tank on my Tundra.

And in other news...Folkswagon? V-Word?
What I find interesting is the "van" part.
Who can top Brooke Shields hawking for "German Engineering" in the Routan?
Ah well, if Ford is involved, it will probably pass emissions....

Last edited:
Around here the Chevy Volt costs:

10c/mi on electric grid power.
5.3c/mil on gas alone.

The electric F150 will probably cost 25 cents per mile for electric fuel and have a $50,000 battery that lasts 10 years. $5000/yr @ 15K miles/year, battery cost = 33 cents per mile. So total propulsive cost per mile = 60 cents per mile. Almost double a conventional F150.

Yup, costs more now but this EV technology/research evolution is moving quite fast. I'm confident the efficiencies will equal and surpass ICE in 5-10 years.

It's the first full sized mainstream truck adopting EV. Let's give Ford kudos for this attempt.

No one can put this horse back in the barn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

5.3c/mil on gas alone.

The electric F150 will probably cost 25 cents per mile for electric fuel and have a $50,000 battery that lasts 10 years. $5000/yr @ 15K miles/year, battery cost = 33 cents per mile. So total propulsive cost per mile = 60 cents per mile. Almost double a conventional F150.

Perhaps show your calculations.
The cost to charge an EV depends on electricity KW per hour which varies by time of day.
Gasoline costs vary as well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

5.3c/mil on gas alone.

Takes 20Kwh to charge the 18Kwh battery in the Volt, due to charger and battery losses. 37 highway mile range at real world speeds. Around here, electric power is 13c/kwh plus taxes, fees and fuel charges. That 20Kwh costs $4-$4.40, noting that the more you use, the more it costs. Let's round up and say $4 for 40 miles.

If you want to be very specific, it's 37 miles highway for $4.40 due to the additional household electrical use an EV causes, for 11.8 cents per mile. Being as the Volt gets 40MPG highway on gasoline alone, and a gallon is $2.12 locally, it's 5.3c per mile on gas.

Last edited:

5.3c/mil on gas alone.

Takes 20Kwh to charge the 18Kwh battery in the Volt, due to charger and battery losses. 37 highway mile range at real world speeds. Around here, electric power is 13c/kwh plus taxes, fees and fuel charges. That 20Kwh costs $4-$4.40, noting that the more you use, the more it costs. Let's round up and say $4 for 40 miles.

If you want to be very specific, it's 37 miles highway for $4.40 due to the additional household electrical use an EV causes, for 11.8 cents per mile. Being as the Volt gets 40MPG highway on gasoline alone, and a gallon is $2.12 locally, it's 5.3c per mile on gas.

Thanks for the calculations.
Due to high electricity cost and low gasoline cost, the Volt is a horrible choice in your area.
In Silicon Valley, gas is down right now to about $3.29 per gasoline and you can charge an EV at work for a subsidized price.
You can also charge in off hours at home for a reduced rate. Plus you get the car pool lane.
I will be installing solar so our EV charging will be quite low.

But as you point out, that is hardly the case in your area.

Test mule spied.

Photo from AutoBlog.com

AC4CAA7B-37F9-419A-BBE2-C4E01D4DDF10.jpeg

I can see it being useful in fleet. Municipal fleet that needs to tow or work short distance away and can always come back to the yard to charge. Plus the truck can be used as a portable power source that's quiet and last the whole day at work site (fairground). Also you can use it indoor because it doesn't have combustion.

I do not see the typical suburban dudes buying them however. As seen here with "lame" and "would like to see how it flop", people like their trucks capable of fulfill their wishlist about 1% of the driving times (i.e. going on a cross country road trip, camping, tow a bed full of cements in one trip, etc, once every 6 months).

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. My personal truck sees greater than 50% (conservatively) of it's life doing "trucks only" stuff.

In spite of this, I think this truck is a real winner with many real applications.

If the F-150 is electric how will billy joe redneck make all the noise he currently does in his straight piped V8 pick-em up truck?
lol.gif

You can also charge in off hours at home for a reduced rate. Plus you get the car pool lane.
I will be installing solar so our EV charging will be quite low..

As keep saying, and California's new time of use tarrifs are doemonstrating, in the VERY near future, the only way to get a reduced "off peak rate" will be to charge between 9AM and 4PM, which is soon the be the new "off peak".

Renewables are pushing off peak to mid-day...so if you are a vampire hauling tote containers of blood, the new EV pick-ups make perfect sense.

People who think that they are going to be throwing 40KWh into the truck at night at reduced cost in 2025 are delusional, or just don't do science very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back