Ram 1500 (44966 miles) - Redline 5W-30 (9924 miles) - XG10060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep!... Redline is not for the long drain. I will blame it on the 2 months USPS transit time :D

FWIW

ram redline 9924.jpg

I'm curious, is this a bad report for that particular engine?
It's not stellar, but not horrible either, for 10k miles, except for copper maybe (but 0 lead so maybe these have a copper oil cooler? Don't know.)
TBN is low but now dramatically low. Viscosity is high due to oxidation maybe?

Would another oil have resisted better, like one of these Mobil stuff advertised for long OCI? (This is a genuine question).

It's not stellar, but not horrible either, for 10k miles, except for copper maybe (but 0 lead so maybe these have a copper oil cooler? Don't know.
TBN is low but now dramatically low. Viscosity is high due to oxidation maybe.

Would another oil have resisted better, like one of these Mobil stuff advertised for long OCI? (This is a genuine question).
I would think so. Oxidation is pretty high, and that alone renders the low metals ppm irrelevant. But I will let the experts chime in.

It's not stellar, but not horrible either, for 10k miles, except for copper maybe (but 0 lead so maybe these have a copper oil cooler? Don't know.)
TBN is low but now dramatically low. Viscosity is high due to oxidation maybe?

UOA is not designed to tell you the state of an engine or how oil protects the engine. It can point to certain issues, but it is designed to tell you the condition of oil.
Redline is packed with esters and additives. It is best described as street/track oil. Track, race, or generally oils for that use are not long drain oils. Esters have a tendency to oxidize. Does not mean it is bad oil, on contrary, it is very good oil for its intended purposes.

You did 10K miles on it?

I'd expect most oils to be well aged at 10K miles in a hemi Ram 1500. Even the OLM would be close to zero life remaining at that point.

FWIW, I changed oil and filter today on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi w/ 5000mi on the oil, 30K on the truck. OLM was at 52% remaining. I've been using Supertech synthetic 5w30 and Champ PH48 filters. The cut open Champ filter looked good.

You did 10K miles on it?

I'd expect most oils to be well aged at 10K miles in a hemi Ram 1500. Even the OLM would be close to zero life remaining at that point.

FWIW, I changed oil and filter today on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi w/ 5000mi on the oil, 30K on the truck. OLM was at 52% remaining. I've been using Supertech synthetic 5w30 and Champ PH48 filters. The cut open Champ filter looked good.
Thanks for that info. Yes, I did 9924 miles. And I would do the same on ST.

Reactions: JTK
Thanks for that info. Yes, I did 9924 miles. And I would do the same on ST.
With the potential of cam and lifter issues these engines have, I cant bring myself to do extended drains. It's not so much about the oil, I want to see what's in the filter every 5-6K miles.

With the PITA involved in a filter change on hemi Rams, you may as well change the oil as well.

Honestly it looks better than my report with 6500 miles on PP 5w-20 other than the iron and the oxidation.. At least it does to me.

Attachments

• Nathan Jon_UnitRam_Gasoline E_Normal_53608460.pdf
    150.5 KB · Views: 31
Looks OK to me. The ester skews that oxidation number. I think that it should be changed soon because of the TBN, but do it at your leisure.

Always good to also request acid number (TAN) to see if there's enough alkaline reserve (TBN) to neutralize acid.

Without a recent VOA of RL, I would not assume that there is oxidation taking place. The virgin oxidation number on Redline oils can be very high.
Look at Vis @ 100°C, CSt = 12.4, Redline advertises 11.9 - It became a 40 grade.

Yes, virgin oxidation on Redline and other oils (like M1 0w-40) that have esters in them tends to be abnormally high, but the visc increasing to 12.4 does indeed point to some oxidative thickening taking place.

Redline often shows both high iron and high copper, even in engines that have bi-metal bearings with zero copper in them. It's typically leached out of something like an oil cooler or other copper component in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back