2019 BMW 330i, Liquid Moly Spec Tec 5w-30, 46k Miles

Good afternoon, this is my first time posting here is any feedback or opinions are appreciated! I transitioned from BMW provided 0w-20 to 5w-30 Liquid Moly Special Tec had 5,587 miles on it. The car has an MST Closed box intake as well as a 300ml bottle of CERA Tec oil additive. Before transition I also used the LiquidMoly Pro-Line engine flush.
IMG_1120.jpeg

Welcome to BITOG! Like the report shows the Al was high. Which coinsides with high Silicon. Is there any relationship? it's possible but I would recommend another 6k run as they stated to see how the results look for more analysis comments. Good news is Iron & Copper for example are right inline with the averages. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Check your intake connections or change back to the stock air box/air filter. The stock intake is not restricting power.
Viscosity and Flashpoint are good. Keep on driving.

Last edited:
We have no idea what is normal for this engine after 1 UOA. Al at 6ppm? that's not high at all. 19 Si? What's the VOA on that oil show? HPL oils have 10ppm in VOA so a 19 would be just fine. Moly/boron clearly from the Ceratec.

BITOG is so funny. You have folks posting UOAs with factory paper filters at higher Si levels than this. BITOG: "looks great, probably just the filter needing more loading to increase filtration" Use an afermarket intake/filter. BITOG: "oh my God it's that high flow filter/intake". Hilarious.

I agree with the fellas on this one… everything looks fine for the first analysis. Al is within the noise.

Si could be spiked simply from messing around with the intake during installation and could mean nothing.

Do another round of 5k and sample again.

We have no idea what is normal for this engine after 1 UOA. Al at 6ppm? that's not high at all. 19 Si? What's the VOA on that oil show? HPL oils have 10ppm in VOA so a 19 would be just fine. Moly/boron clearly from the Ceratec.

BITOG is so funny. You have folks posting UOAs with factory paper filters at higher Si levels than this. BITOG: "looks great, probably just the filter needing more loading to increase filtration" Use an afermarket intake/filter. BITOG: "oh my God it's that high flow filter/intake". Hilarious.

This isn't HPL. The universal avg is 3ppm in Si.

This isn't HPL. The universal avg is 3ppm in Si.
Regardless - one data point, so you get a few and figure out what's normal or not. This isn't a ton of Si here and can be normal for this car....we just don't know...so check the filter/box and makes sure everything is tight is what this tells me.

Regardless - one data point, so you get a few and figure out what's normal or not. This isn't a ton of Si here and can be normal for this car....we just don't know...so check the filter/box and makes sure everything is tight is what this tells me.
Well if you look at the LM VOA on this site you'll see Si under 5 except for the MoS2 containing oils. Of the two I found quickly Si was 10 and 15. Perhaps the Ceratec is throwing off SI.

Well if you look at the LM VOA on this site you'll see Si under 5 except for the MOS2 10W-40?. Si is 15 on that VOE. So perhaps the Ceratec is throwing off SI.
Could be? I have UOAs with Ceratec posted...I've always had Si <10ppm until more recedntly with HPL and that's running K&N and even now on my current dry filter (never saw with an oiled filter) seeing visible super fine dust on the intake tract.

Curious, what was your reasoning to use a flush product on an engine with < 40K miles?
I got the car used and i wasn’t sure what the previous owner may have thrown in there so i wanted to clean everything out before i switched to the oil i usually use

Check your intake connections or change back to the stock air box/air filter. The stock intake is not restricting power.
Viscosity and Flashpoint are good. Keep on driving.
I’m going over the intake system and checking it out now! thank you!

Looks good, but the Calcium in the oil is really high, and that engine had some instances of LSPI. I would switch if you want Liqui Moly something that has MB229.52 and BMW LL04.
It doesn’t have to be liquid moly per se, do you have any specific oil recommendations? I was on the bmw factory 0w-20 but my tuner advised against it

I agree with the fellas on this one… everything looks fine for the first analysis. Al is within the noise.

Si could be spiked simply from messing around with the intake during installation and could mean nothing.

Do another round of 5k and sample again.
Thank you! I’m halfway there so I should
have another sample posted mid to the end of winter, I appreciate all of
your responses!

Back