Radiator Leaking, but where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiator Leak

The radiator is a CSK all metal radiator I installed at 140k miles. Since then I noticed the coolant is gradually disappearing since day 1. Now at 215k miles it seems to be gone quite quickly.

Took some photos before calling the store that I bought from, suppose to have life time warranty.

You may need to change the clamp (pic 8), if the radiator is not the problem. The hose also doesn't look that it is pushed over the fitting as far as it can go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did u reuse those hose clamps? If u did that is a big no-no :no-no: Also out of curiosity why did u go all-metal over the usual?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RH+G
Did u reuse those hose clamps? If u did that is a big no-no :no-no: Also out of curiosity why did u go all-metal over the usual?

Yes I did reuse the hose clamp. Why is that a no no? It was still very hard to open it up? The hoses were new and when my mechanic rebuild the head after it overheat 10k miles ago, he reuse them too (but told me to change the hose though).

I went all metal back when I was a nob and didn't know how hard it is to fit. Just the old school folks always told me how the plastic cracks and the all metal last longer (except that it all depends on quality).

Originally Posted By: Billy007
You may need to change the clamp (pic 8), if the radiator is not the problem. The hose also doesn't look that it is pushed over the fitting as far as it can go.

It is pushed as far as it can go; the top of the hose is almost touching the radiator body. The problem is, how do I know if the radiator is indeed leaking or not?

photos 8 & 9 are confusing people, it's blurry but I think your top hose nipple has two sections and angles and the hose is pushed in to the top of the first section.

You could try draining the system, smearing some RTV on the inside of that hose where it connects to the nipple, and reseating the spring clamp so it's not in its old "dent" in the hose.

If that's not it, it could be the end tank of the rad leaking at the seam where it lines up with the tubes. All metal, it could possibly be resoldered.

OK, my guess.

leaking top hose (rad end), in the period between the block being pressurised, and the radiator hot tank getting up to pressure (it warms fully before sending water to the rad).

Hot tank gets hot, and seals the leak.

Won't smell it as a coolant leak, as it only leaks when the radiator is cold and the block is hot.

Try looking for the leak when it is dark out. Start the vehicle with the engine cold, and use a good bright flashlight. I had a leak once and could not see where in the daylight. After dark with a flashlight I found it.

elJefino's comment about the bottom hose connectors having 2 sections is correct. I've push the hose all the way in to the first section and the clamp is in the middle, no room for wiggle.

Shannow, I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion. You said that the different rate of thermal expansion makes the coolant leak through the hose? But the hose is rubber and has clamp that forces it down, regardless of temperature. If you are saying that it is the seal between top of the tank and the cooling fin portion, then I think it is probably not. The whole radiator is soldered from top to bottom and it doesn't seems like there is a plastic seal on it.

Remember guys, I think this leak has been there since I have this radiator new some 70k miles ago, gradually I have to refill the overflow tank at least twice a year. The head is rebuild last year due to overheating when the cooling fan relay went out in a traffic jam in the heat storm. And the coolant hoses (top, bottom, and the one from the block to the heater core) are all newly installed 4 months ago, to this radiator.

I took these photos in the garage with a flash camera after I started the engine for about 1 minutes, and the flash really helps me see where I couldn't see (green coolants and the contrast of the wet belly pan). Every time after I drive the car for about 1 hours and slow down, I can smell burnt rubber around the car and in the cabinet. I ask my friend who rebuild at least 3 of his family cars in the past, and he told me it smells like coolant. BTW, I have a leaking oil pan gasket so it may not be accurate to use smell to detect what is leaking.

Last edited:
Pressure testing the cooling system should reveal where the leak is coming from. It looks like the leak is from the top tank someplace.

The radiator is in a Honda? The radiator filler neck kind of looks like a Honda. The leak could be comong from where the 90-degree filler neck is attached to the radiator top tank. Removing and installing the radiator cap stresses the solder joint and cracks it; pushing on the top of the cap to get it passed the pressure relief detent is what breaks the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back