Rack and Pinion brands.

wtd

The Rack and pinion steering is leaking on my fiancé's son's 2008 Ford Focus. It's leaking pretty good to the point that it was already low after driving 60 miles. It also ate the rubber out on the torque strut which is right under where it appears to be leaking. What is a good replacement brand of rack to get? Everything available looks to be remanufactured. O'reilly's has Master Pro, Autozone has Endurance, Rock Auto has Motorcraft, Cardone, and BBB industries. All of the Rock Auto racks have a pretty expensive core charge so you have to send the old one back. Thanks.

I definitely wouldn't touch Cardone -- that's probably obvious

I used to think BBB was a little more upscale but I'm 99% they provide reman steering boxes to O'Reilly for Masterpro (for 2nd Gen Dodge Rams), and those suck.

I've never heard of Endurance but I think AutoZone tells you all you need to know.

I think the obvious answer is Motorcraft. Use RA's pre-paid FedEx option when submitting your core return online and shipping cost is typically VERY reasonable

Actually I service an '09 Focus so I'll be curious to hear your results or even a long(er) term report.

I just dealt with a leak at the p/s reservoir -- you might look into that while the system is drained. IIRC the reservoir was cracked or faulty and it appears to be common-- they're readily available

Reactions: wtd
Actually I service an '09 Focus so I'll be curious to hear your results or even a long(er) term report.

I just dealt with a leak at the p/s reservoir -- you might look into that while the system is drained. IIRC the reservoir was cracked or faulty and it appears to be common-- they're readily available
My only concern with Motorcraft is that it only has a 2 year warranty while the others have lifetime warranties.

I looked at the reservoir and didn't see any leaks but you can see where it's been leaking on the rack and the torque strut I just replaced was soaked with fluid and the rubber was half eaten away. I previously replaced this part in June of 2020.

My only concern with Motorcraft is that it only has a 2 year warranty while the others have lifetime warranties.
That is a good warranty for a quality part. Most dealer stuff is only 12mo. Lifetime warranties are a sales gimmick, chances are they will not ever need to honor the warranty and the small % they do doesnt make a dent.
Eg, I recently bought 2 LCA from the dealer, the quality is OE and they fit properly, cheap junk from RA have a lifetime warranty at half the price (initially) but in reality they will without any doubt cost more than the OE in the long run and cause a lot of aggravation and wasted labor.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I would have picked Motorcraft too, but my fiancé decided to go with the Master Pro one. I told her that everyone here recommended the Motorcraft but she doesn't want to spend the money for it because he doesn't take care of this car and she is already having to spend money to fix the exhaust on it next week. I told her to cut him loose and make him pay for stuff since he is almost 20 years old but that conversation never goes anywhere good.

Motorcraft is more expensive but more than likely a new OEM part from ZF Lenksystemes(now Bosch Steering Systems) or Nexteer.

All the parts store remans are from Cardone or BBB - if it was rebuilt in China, Mexico or Indonesia rhe chances it coming from Cardone are smaller. That said, the warranty of a parts store one will come in handy.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I would have picked Motorcraft too, but my fiancé decided to go with the Master Pro one. I told her that everyone here recommended the Motorcraft but she doesn't want to spend the money for it because he doesn't take care of this car and she is already having to spend money to fix the exhaust on it next week. I told her to cut him loose and make him pay for stuff since he is almost 20 years old but that conversation never goes anywhere good.
Save the receipt

If it was a chain parts store, they would have asked for a phone number to keep records on their POS system.
Ever since AutoZone and O'Reilly "updated" their system(s) I never, ever trust that. YMMV

I walk in with a photocopy of receipt and there's zero dispute and zero searching thru 50+ records under my phone #

Furthermore, warranty periods have been shortening on products like unit bearings from LT to 2 years, or 2 years to 1 year. Oftentimes (esp with O'Reilly) the warranty period will be specified under the purchase on the original receipt. Inexperienced clerks will look at the warranty for the part if sold TODAY, but my receipt proves the original terms.

Again, YMMV

Reactions: wtd
Motorcraft is more expensive but more than likely a new OEM part from ZF Lenksystemes(now Bosch Steering Systems) or Nexteer.

All the parts store remans are from Cardone or BBB - if it was rebuilt in China, Mexico or Indonesia rhe chances it coming from Cardone are smaller. That said, the warranty of a parts store one will come in handy.
All of the Motorcraft ones I found were remanufactured. The one from O'reillys said it was rebuilt in Mexico. The part looks good and was not painted black. I guess time will tell how long it lasts.

I keep all of my receipts and have folders for all of our vehicles where I put all of the receipts in.

Back