Quieting Hemi Tick with Redline Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: burla
Yes,it is the lifters, but unfortunately we have guys even change the lifters to brand new lifters and still have them tick, no joke. I'm not sure we can say the fact the lifters aren't ticking on redline is providing adequate lubrication or film strength or if it like you say masking it. I think either position is not proven. However, the guys that are doing uoa's are showing much lower wear numbers when the tick is gone. So it is like this, what do you have to loose if one oil kills your ticks and another doesn't? Well let's just buy the oil that makes my truck tick? It just makes no sense, and I certainly do not think people should just say Redline is the only oil that can do this. I think more people should test it, find out why redline is stopping the ticks, it is the esters, pao, high moly? If we can isolate what is killing the ticks, hopefully there will be more options then just redline, or possibly motul/millers.

Too many variables to prove your ascertation about the tick and wear.

I know this, and why I didn't delve into more. Like I said, if you have tick you might want to give it a try, it works and killing ticks at a very high success rate as those of us who tried it can attest. What isn't a variable is the OP's results and video's for those interested in hearing what we have been talking about. Hard to believe there is that much difference between oils, but the fact is there is a huge difference, one oil runs butter smooth, the other sounds like a sewing machine, which oil would you choose? kinda simple, I wish it was a different brand that had the same success, seams like many people have wounds or something when someone mentions reline oil. I don't hardly care what brand it is, put something in my engine that will do the same butdo it cheaper, and I will gladly use it.

Originally Posted By: burla
Well dealers call it normal hemi noise, and this often happens when the vehicle hits the second or third oil change before the brand new vehicles hits 10k miles.

That's fine for those who became beta testers, but this isn't a one off issue, and has been ongoing. Many are living with the noise, and that doesn't make them stupid. They are making a choice to not change vehicles or not buy an expensive boutique, both of which are apparent solutions. Basically, if I want a truck, I'm not buying a Hemi of the generation making the noise with the expectation I have to smuggle in Red Line to eliminate noise and/or protect a fragile cam.

As for the Nissan Genuine Ester Oil, that's a situation where Nissan/Infiniti is as stupid as Chrysler (or Ford with their diesel spec or anyone else, as the case may be). It's just that one "solution" is very expensive and endorsed by the OEM, and it's not much of an effective solution, and in the other case, the solution is to use a non-speced oil that is a more expensive solution, but similarly expensive. Rams call for an API spec oil but need special sauce to not sound like they're coming apart. The Nissan 3.7s call for an API spec oil but then recommend a highly expensive oil to help quiet some noise, because an expensive solution always works, and if it doesn't, the placebo effect will. In reality, with the 3.7, the most effective fix has always been a reflash. I get the noise once in a blue moon, and when I get it, I simply turn off my engine and start it again, and the noise is gone. A symptom like that is not something that's going to be fixed by a different oil, but by a reflash.

I'm the first guy to say it's not a big deal to go out of spec if that choice is well reasoned and one goes into the situation with clear knowledge of what one is doing and what consequences are possible. However, if an engine is only passable and durable by deliberately going off spec, and off spec at a very high cost, that's a warning flag to me, and not about the oil, but about the vehicle in the first place. Chrysler has done very little to instill me with confidence in any part of their pickup line lately.

This is my first and last hemi, it is likely a dying out of date engine anyhow. Until them I will make the best out of it. No doubt it is a FCA thing, POS MF. But yet those of us who hit the tick lottery, all have to make the choices best for us. I doubt the guy running an oil that makes his truck tick will be getting the same as mine that is butter smooth on the trade in. The reason I suggested nissan oil is to try and isolate what it is that is quieting these ticks. I believe that product is not super high moly as redline is. I don't give a rats [censored] about redline, what I would like to find out is what about that product is killing ticks. I am grateful I found a product that quiets the tick, and every other guy that has followed is also grateful. It is one thing to be on the outside looking in, then it is to be the guy that shelled out 50k on a truck that sounds like a sewing machine. The info is here for those who want it.

The Nissan Ester Oil isn't really ester based, so trying to compare it to Red Line and hoping for similar results may not be so easy. I'm not sure what it's moly content is, either. In my situation, if it grates on me, I'm lucky that I can just get a reflash.

So far I'm about 730 miles into this current Redline run. Its definitely quieter than Amsoil SS 5w30 but its not where it was a few months ago before I tried Amsoil SS.

Wow sorry I haven't posted my results back here, heres a video of my truck running much quieter on Redline after 2100 miles:

https://youtu.be/yNzZ_ROQGqY

For comparison here is it running on Amsoil SS 5w30:

https://youtu.be/CjMDKz1yZLI

Not sure what else I can say, the videos speak for themselves. If you have a loud Hemi (or any motor for that matter), try Redline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CC1981
Wow sorry I haven't posted my results back here, heres a video of my truck running much quieter on Redline after 2100 miles:

https://youtu.be/yNzZ_ROQGqY

For comparison here is it running on Amsoil SS 5w30:

https://youtu.be/CjMDKz1yZLI

Not sure what else I can say, the videos speak for themselves. If you have a loud Hemi (or any motor for that matter), try Redline.

You should have either used Redline 5w-20 or AMSOIL 5w-40 for the comparison, as the Redline grades are significantly heavier than their contemporary counterparts.

The AMSOIL 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.11cP, whilst the Redline 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.7cP. AMSOIL's more comparable product would be their Euro EFM 5w-40, which has the same HTHS of 3.7cP.

On the other hand, the Redline 5w-20 has an HTHS of 3.0cP, making it far more comparable to the 5w-30 AMSOIL product.

With Redline you aren't just using an "different" oil, you are effectively stepping up a grade, which makes like-labelled comparisons not what they'd seem.

The Mustang guys with ticking 5.0L Coyote V8s have been using the "Cera Tec" oil additive (Google it) and have reported their ticking engines quiet down almost instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back