Quietest oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used RLI or GC.

Of the oils I've used in my Mustang and F150 (2005 4.6 4V and 2001 4.6 2V) I'd rank them:

Red Line 5W-30 > Red Line 5W-20 >> Ultra 5W-30 >= Platinum 5W-30 > Platinum 5W-20 >= Mobil 1 5W-30 EP >= Mobil 1 5W-30 > Mobil 1 5W-20

In my Mom's Freestyle (which I maintain for her) I'd rank them:
Ultra 5W-20 > Platinum 5W-20 > Mobil 1 5W-20

I noticed her car seems to like Ultra (vs. Platinum) more than my F150 did. She even commented on how smooth her car has been running and I didn't tell her I changed the type of oil.

You could just not change the oil, your engine would be real quiet then!
wink.gif

I agree castrol is on the list.i am running castrol gtx and castrol syntec ( now ) on my 2006 camry v6. very quiet. some honda and acura dealers are using castrol motor oil too. they use the best and quietest oil.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
As near as I can tell its pretty much a tie. None of my oils seem to say much.

Me too. It's quiet on everything.

Ok,, at what speeds is ur oil more or less quiet, ur in a vette doing 140, what do ur here,,,,,ur in a Honda Civic,,,ur doing 80 miles per hr,what do u here, road noise, wind, a roaring engine,ok ur in a a Model T, a 68 GTO , a what speed is it quiet?? I never could tell in a Navy fighter if the engine was quiet, to much darn noise, oh yea,,,how about an RA4D sky-raider, 4 blade prop engine at idle,,it sounds like 50 harleys at idle, u cant hear sh&*. Its all relevant gang. Ok,,lets go get a beer. and leave ur teddy bears at home boys.

Originally Posted By: fireman32
What would be the quietest oil to run in a 5.3 chevy.. as far as keeping valvetrain noise to a minimum>

What worked best for me on my 5.3L 2000 Tahow LT was 0W-30 M1,though I'm sure any brand would be OK. Had a slight piston slap (30 seconds or so) since practically new, tried slightly heavier weight oil (would mix in 2 qts of 5-50 Syntec into 10W30 M1) but no good. Went to 0W - 30 and noticed big improvement in last 30K miles or so, now at 107K and running perfectly. Always did OCI at 2 - 4K, went to 5K changes or one year about a year ago and all seems fine.

Way late here, but concur with earlier posts. I've always had Pennzoil products to run the quietest for me. In my Chrysler 3.8L (5W-20), Mobil 1 was clackity like a diesel, and either PP or the P-HMV is the quietest oil I've had in it.

go to an airport maintenance dept, they mite have some 80 wt oil there,,,things would be real quiet in ur engines then, I would add 1 qt of mmo to it to bring it down to 70wt though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back