Economical 5w-30 Recommendations

I have an 08 GMC Sierra 5.3 that gets less than a few thousand miles a year and I was trying to find a good economical oil/oil deal for the yearly change. What's the word?

LS motors in my experience love Valvoline HM Full synthetic. super quiet valve operation. use that and an ultra from walmart and run it to 6k OCI’s. if you don’t want to spring for the valvoline and the ultra, a super tech filter and super tech high mileage will get you where you’re going. (the bigger (longer) filter for your application is a fram 10575 helps with getting it on and off)

Reactions: STW
LS motors in my experience love Valvoline HM Full synthetic. super quiet valve operation. use that and an ultra from walmart and run it to 6k OCI’s. if you don’t want to spring for the valvoline and the ultra, a super tech filter and super tech high mileage will get you where you’re going. (the bigger (longer) filter for your application is a fram 10575 helps with getting it on and off)
Are we talking like puppy love? Or are we talking like three kids, we’ve seen each other have diarrhea, and we are ok with stretch marks love?

Take your last oil change from another car, save it into a kitty litter container. Pour that in the truck and change that out every few years. Save that up and toss it into a mechanical diesel after you filtered it through an old used bedsheet.

For new oil Supertech at walmart is your best bet as it doesnt require a Costco membership. Traveller at Tractor Supply isnt cheap anymore. Mag1 at Lowes isnt cheap either. Advance Auto, Oreillys, Autozone oil changes dont meet the definition of an oil change deal like they used to.

Last edited:
With you living in Florida and rarely driving it just walk in the Mart and see what's cheapest on your Mart shelves. Not all Mart shelves have the same price. It's almost assuredly going to be Supertech but they might have a bulk deal where 12 quarts of Havoline or something else is a little cheaper per quart than a 5qt Supertech.

As stated, Wally for whatever is on sale or the cheapest meeting spec synthetic. Can't go wrong. Sometimes it'll be QS, Castrol, Super-Tech....

Walmart has plenty of options, being in Florida I'd use 15w-40 and use it for 2-3 years. I do long 10-13k drains with 15w-40 in my 03 and 05. I'm starting to do shorter drains given that after years of using whatever 15w-40 on sale they almost don't consume oil anymore, went from burning a quart every 1.5-2k to every 5-7k now. I'm guessing the hdeo slowly cleaned the dirty rings and that's considering I'm been doing almost double the interval length compared to regular 10w-30.

I'll throw out the Havoline 6qt boxes at WalMart, even though they've crept up in price a little.

Or the Valvoline Garage Boxes that can be had very fair if you buy 3 or 4 of them at a time.

Back