Quick Lube Success Stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use quick lube type places myself, but I worked for a company for a number of years that had a fleet of 10 vans. Each of the vans was brought to quick lube about every 5k. None of them had oil related failures.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Nobody posted any good/successful(without over-sell) oil change at quick lube on internet. But a slight disappoint oil change(0.001% ?) will be posted and discuss forever.

They're all incompetent. Have you ever seen one use a torque wrench on the oil plug? Eventually they'll strip that out. They all over tighten, because of the horror stories of plugs falling out. How much is it to ask that they invest a few hundred bucks in torque wrenches?

You use a torque wrench on your drain plug? I consider myself a stickler for proper torqe, but I really don't find it necessary to use a torque wrench. I would never do suspension or engine work without a torque wrench. I keep a torque wrench in my trunk in case I have to change a tire. But not for a drain plug.

Do you use the torque wrench on your filter

No I don't use a torque wrench on anything but head bolts. But I'm not an idiot either although there are many here who will disagree. I also worry about the over tightening of oil filters and trans and diff drain plugs. I don't know why but those items take an order of magnitude more torque to remove than install. If I ever have my oil done again, I will bring a torque wrench with me and tell the monkeys to use it.

Last fall when WM TLEs had that smokin' Castrol deal going on, I got 6 qts. of 5w30 Syntec and a Fram TG filter for $26. I watched while they did the work and noticed that they DID, in fact, use a torque wrench. When I asked what they had it set to, I was told 18 ft. pds, which is correct for a 5.3 Chevy.

If they offer the same deal this year, I'll be back in line.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Nobody posted any good/successful(without over-sell) oil change at quick lube on internet. But a slight disappoint oil change(0.001% ?) will be posted and discuss forever.

They're all incompetent. Have you ever seen one use a torque wrench on the oil plug? Eventually they'll strip that out. They all over tighten, because of the horror stories of plugs falling out. How much is it to ask that they invest a few hundred bucks in torque wrenches?

You use a torque wrench on your drain plug? I consider myself a stickler for proper torqe, but I really don't find it necessary to use a torque wrench. I would never do suspension or engine work without a torque wrench. I keep a torque wrench in my trunk in case I have to change a tire. But not for a drain plug.

Do you use the torque wrench on your filter

No I don't use a torque wrench on anything but head bolts. But I'm not an idiot either although there are many here who will disagree. I also worry about the over tightening of oil filters and trans and diff drain plugs. I don't know why but those items take an order of magnitude more torque to remove than install. If I ever have my oil done again, I will bring a torque wrench with me and tell the monkeys to use it.
What makes you think he'll know how?

now why but those items take an order of magnitude more torque to remove than install. If I ever have my oil done again, I will bring a torque wrench with me and tell the monkeys to use it.

I use a torque wrench on my 2000 BMW 528i and 2007 Honda Accord V6. They both have aluminum oil pans so it makes sense to be extra careful. Interestingly they both require a bit more torque than I would have used "by hand".

As a field engineer, I do a ton of driving in a company supplied vehicle. I am required to get my oil changed every 10,000 miles at a few quick lube change chains that my company has negotiated prices on services.
In the many oil changes that I've received with the company vehicle over the years, I haven't had a single bad one. I've had a few that were slow as molasses, but the truck did fine.
That said, at home I do almost all of my maintenance and repairs for myself and my family.

Not surprised there aren't that many responses here
crackmeup2.gif

It doesn't take long to change oil and best of all you know you actually did it!

Not sure if you read the news but there is plenty of blown engines due to fake OCIs.

[/quote]

I dunno. I did my own oil changes for 50 years, and for five years worked in a service station doing oil changes. Never once in that time did I use a torque wrench on the oil plug and I never stripped one either. Screwing the drain plug back in and snugging it down should not require a torque wrench.

That isn't true at all.

I drove a company car that had 100,000 on the odo when I received it (2005 Ford Focus 2L) we had gas cards for our fuel and oil needs. Jiffy Lube was close to the office so I used them as did my 4 partners. I used a target of 4K for the change interval and allowed secondary items such as engine air and cabin air filters to be done. We retired the car at 230,000 as the automatic transmission was shot. No oil related engine problems. It was nice to have the glass cleaned, floors vacuumed and tire pressure checked.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Think about it. The majority of quick lube places hire inexperienced youth who work for minimum wage & don't give a blank ^%$# about your investment ie. Car! Most places have a high turnover rate & hire mechanic wanna bees! Years ago I had a 1993 Camry V6 with well over 200K miles & never even thought about taking it to one of those places! If you value your ride stay away from those places!

To be honest I've never seen one of these quickly places that were the scam variety and all of our local shops have a great reputation so yes there is some fraud in the industry but they aren't all bad.
And let's get serious its not rocket science. As far as oil volume they set the nozzle and it's automatic and it doesn't take a genius to change a filter.
The reason they aren't costly is because of low overhead. So if you'd like to pay more for something that any idiot can do go ahead.
And if a car is an investment it is by far the stupidest investment any human being can make in their life with the rate of devaluation the minute you drive it off the lot so to call it an investment is absurd.
It's an appliance. I don't invest in securities that depreciate like an automobile does. What kind of fool invests in such a manner.
I thought investments were supposed to up in value.

It's not a question of whether a car is a stupid investment. Rather than a investment of necessity for most Americans who want to get to work & have a life. Dahhhh. Given the fact that most New cars today are well north of $20K off the lot. Heck my Harley Street Glide was over $20K! I'd rather not have a High School drop out do the wrenching on my ride! To each his own. I live my life by a simple saying. " Life is Tough but it's even tougher when your Stupid! "

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burchster13
Our local grease monkey is family owned and I worked for them in college. They are the only place I will have my oil changed. I worked in the pit and all the work down there is double checked by either the owner or tech under the hood. Filters are always changed and if the drain plugs came out hard and we're stripped we offered the customer a replacement.

In Denver, when I drove the MB 280CE coupe, I stopped at a Grease Monkey. Before they did anything, they checked the filter listing. The car was a Euro model -- they didn't have the filter. So I drove over to the independent dealer where I'd bought the car, got a filter, and came back; and GM took the cost of the filter off their oil change. I used them again later for the MB 420SEL, but that one was so easy, I started changing the oil on it myself.

So, no, not all quick lubes are crooked or incompetent.

I only ever had 2 issue. One at a firestone in san Marcos TX. Where a kid didn't change the filter. Poor kid got fired over it. Another time (cant remember who I took it to) when I went to change the oil later I had to jam a screw driver into the filter to get it of and it was very tricky because of the crazy spot that Kia had its oil filter.
Anyway its cheaper to do it yourself. And you don't have to wonder what they really put in etc.

I spent my time working in the pit of a Valvoline quick lube place. We did a good job to be honest. They had a good routine that by its very nature ensured things were done properly. We also had a good manager that would put the pressure on when busy, but never at the expense of quality, every little issue that came up we had time to take care of. And no, no Torque wrench on the drain plug, but filter Torque was correct.

Now the Valvoline down the road, terrible. Many a filter required a screwdriver through it.

BTW, if you want to have fun with the grease monkeys, bring an okd full size van in. When the upsell you an air filter say go ahead. Many a place thought they had an extra sale on my mom's old van, till they realized they needed to remove the doghouse... 100k and I don't think the air filter was ever changed.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
And no, no Torque wrench on the drain plug, but filter Torque was correct.

Valoline let's you sit in your car here. I could feel the car bump several times when they tightened the plug. When I did the next change myself the plug was too tight and I spent hours getting the filter off, a mangled mess.

I'm curious. What was your procedure for installing the filter?

Spin till it touches, then give half a turn IIRC. My memory could be off, it was 15 years ago... But I do remember NOT cranking it on there.

You would be surprised how little Torque it takes to bump a car.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
And no, no Torque wrench on the drain plug, but filter Torque was correct.

Valoline let's you sit in your car here. I could feel the car bump several times when they tightened the plug. When I did the next change myself the plug was too tight and I spent hours getting the filter off, a mangled mess.

I might have nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back