Quick lube epic fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a bad oil burning smell in my Company car (2012 Subaru Legacy) and oil in my driveway. I went to a Merchants tire shop because it needed new tires so they investigated the oil leak. Turns out those idiots at the Quick lube havoline shop, didn't even tighten the oil filter all the way. The guy said that he was surprised that it didn't back itself off all the way it was so loose. I can't believe I didn't lose oil pressure. Moral of the story. Change your own oil. I would have but it's my company car and goes through the fleet service.

Yup it happens, people are human, even oil changers. Honestly if the filter was finger tight it should have shot right off and blew all the oil out of the engine at initial startup.

Years ago when I was a kid my dad took his 87 Dodge ram van to Jiffy Lube. They left the dipstick out of the engine and stripped the drain plug. Lesson learned...

I find it interesting that Wally Mart does light car repairs/service,and the owner of the filling station in Mayberry was "Wally".Maybe every WM has a Gomer working there?

I once handled a claim for a lube shop where they stripped the threads out on an elderly lady's oil fitting. So they then mauled the filter on with a chain wrench and sent her on her way to a ruined engine.

If you don't do it yourself, have a trusted mechanic who you know change the oil.

Many years ago this is the exact scenario I experienced with a quick lube...I always had the habit back then to inspect the work that was done once I arrived home. And sure enough the oil filter was not even hand tightened. It was just barely threaded on, I was nearly orbital at the time. Never again, I've been doing changes and other basic maintenance myself since.

Been on BITOG long enough to realize if an oil change without 100% accuracy classifies some one as an idiot, they there are a lot hanging out right here on the board, myself included.

Not that it is an excuse, but most of the lube jockeys at those places make minimum wage at best. They are given just enough training to make themselves dangerous.

Originally Posted By: 6lbsoft
Years ago when I was a kid my dad took his 87 Dodge ram van to Jiffy Lube. They left the dipstick out of the engine and stripped the drain plug. Lesson learned...

Once when i was getting a free oil change at my dealership when i bought my new car, the person who did the oil change left the dipstick on the engine cover
mad.gif
Luckily since i dont trust anyone, i always look under the hood before leaving the shop...wooo was the service advisor mad at him! lol

The quick lubes are not where I would go, but everybody makes mistakes.
I forgot to put oil in a truck at a dealer I worked at 30 years ago, caught the guy leaving the lot. He didn't care , it was a company truck and he was just the driver.
Another guy, a very good tech, was doing a favor for one of the cashiers and checked her brakes. He put all lug nuts back on loosely got distracted and she ended up in the street with 2 wheels off her car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I once brought a company car to one of these quick lubes, and the manager of the place had red eyes, slurred speech, and appeared high as a kite.

drunk I guess.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I once brought a company car to one of these quick lubes, and the manager of the place had red eyes, slurred speech, and appeared high as a kite.

So there is something to that caution about used motor oil.

Good Day,
Steven

Yes people are only human But.
My father who used to always change his own oil tried out the new Jeffy Lube in town back in 1990. Some how they forgot to even put any oil in the car. (1990 Corvette ZR1) with only 9000 miles on it. Good thing is he never even made it out of the place before he seen there was know oil pressure.(He was mad) that is why I have always changed my own oil. And my fathers oil now.
How can someone forget oil.

When I was a kid, I remember a garage leaving the oil fill cap off of my Dad's K-car. Fortunately there was a baffle that covered the valves and kept the oil from splashing out.

Maul-Mart tried to remove transmission filter instead of oil filter on my Mom's car...
Punched a hole in it...
Then did not replace it or tell her about the error...
Transmission ran out of fluid a week later...crunch....
They offered to settle, for half the cost of a rebuilt tranny...

I took them to court and won $25,000...
Maul-Mart did not even show up,
Judge listened to my side of the case, determined it had merit, and ruled in my favor...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

I took them to court and won $25,000...
Maul-Mart did not even show up,
Judge listened to my side of the case, determined it had merit, and ruled in my favor...

obama-not-bad-campaign-poster.jpg

I think almost any indy shop will do a good job. I look under the vehicle after I start it to look for oil running out (after an oil change).

But there is tighten the filter, only one gasket? tighten the drain plug (maybe a new gasket). The oil filter base could be dented or warped.

Lets face it, the guys at a Jiffy Lube are just starting out. Their pay is low. They will make mistakes. Set your expectations properly. You went in for a quick and cheap oil change.

Last edited:
there are horror stories but most people actually get an oil change. gee. ever check your oil pressure gage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back