question on dipstick oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to a truck at work:

It's a 2006 Ford F550. V10, 8.0L. For there to be no oil registering on the dipstick, how many qts low does it need to be? It takes 7 qts. Thanks.

More than 1 quart, I would add 1 quart at a time then check the dipstick, if the oil level is on the dipstick but lower than max then start engine for few minutes, turn engine off then check the oil level and add more oil as needed to bring it to max.

Last edited:
yeah, I get that, but how many qts low does it have to be before it doesn't show on the dipstick? 2 qts?

I'm disputing what our mechanic is telling us that the truck was 5-6 qts low when one of my employees took it in for an oil change. I don't see how it didn't seize up... The mechanic says no oil was showing on the dipstick and that it has to be 5-6 qts low for it not to show...

Originally Posted By: Doug
... The mechanic says no oil was showing on the dipstick and that it HAS to be 5-6 qts low for it not to show...

That mechanic is whack.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If it is not registering, then there is no way of knowing how much to get a reading.

This is true and I don't see why the guy would lie about how much oil came out unless he wanted to get some work in on the engine or was trying to send you guys a message to KEEP THE OIL LEVELS UP, we used to beat the [censored] out of our work trucks, I can't talk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
If it is not registering, then there is no way of knowing how much to get a reading.

Yes there is, just as HTSS suggested. Although it's probably too late now...the mechanic could have added 1/2 qt at a time until it registered and he would have known just how low it was.

All I'll say is there is no way it takes 5-6 qts low to not register on the stick. Any Ford or any other engine for that matter would show no oil on the dipstick at one to two qts low. If it took 5-6 qts low to show no oil on the dipstick, then dipsticks would be entirely useless.

If you want to be scientific about it, empty the pan completely. Add one quart at a time and check the dipstick each time.

If it takes 7 quarts, and is off the stick completely, I'd guess it is at least 3 quarts short. Not good.

As to why the truck is still running, engines can actually run remarkably well with next to no oil in them. I've seen engines running relatively well with less that 1 quart of oil in them.

Many oil pressure lights don't come on until there is less than a quart in the system. I knew guys that used to drain the oil, put the plug back, pour in 1 quart, start the engine, run it for a few minutes, then shut if off and drain the oil again. I guess they reasoned this was a way of doing an engine flush.

Even if the oil pump pick up was submerged with only 2 qts on level ground the second you went up or down an incline the pump would lose it's prime and you would know.... It was more than likely between 2 to 3 qts low (7 qt capacity)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back