Question about using Mercon V in a Prius eCVT

First off, it is not a real CVT with belt and pulley or toroidal, so no friction to friction slip and anti-shudder spec to care for. Second there is no clutch, band, or brakes inside the transmission so it does not have any hydraulic and solenoids to worry about. Third, the only "damper" inside is a device that looks like a manual transmission dry clutch, but is just 2 plate with 4 springs in between and no friction "clutch" of any kind (bolted to the gears or the engine).

So, the only usage case for Toyota WS in this tranny is as a "gear oil", and the only concern for using a thicker generic fluid like Mercon V is 1. it is thicker and 2. it may have a different di-electric compatibility with the submerged wiring of the electric motor.

I don't think being thicker by a bit is a concern to me, it may use more fuel (i.e. 0.5%) and it won't save me money vs using something like a Maxlife. The di-electric compatibility is what I am not sure about, and to be honest I don't think it is a huge concern as all ATF aren't that different in this IMO.

Why I want to try? I have 6 qts of Valvoline Synthetic Mercon V sitting around after I sold the Taurus, not sure what to do with it. Either give them away for free or use it somehow.

my Ford eCVT (rather similar to your toyota model) uses Mercon LV
the first year ford eCVT's (MY2005) used "Mercon(red) Multi purpose ATF"
by 2010, they had switched to Mercon LV( which is essentially the same as Dex VI)

do with that info what you will.

I've read of people running Maxlife ATF... the DexMer version... in Prii.

Since the ATF "wears out" exceedingly slowly in these cars, I wonder what you're going to "improve."

I've read of people running Maxlife ATF... the DexMer version... in Prii.

Since the ATF "wears out" exceedingly slowly in these cars, I wonder what you're going to "improve."
I am using Maxlife currently as it is compatible with Toyota WS. I think the main reason for drain and fill is to flush out the wear metal in the "gear box" and if it is not coolant cooled, the ATF may oxidize.

Go ahead and use it. No concern with Toyotas ecvt design. And the wires are sealed with connectors that have 3 - 4 lips.

I ended up giving them to my father in law to fill up his Buick's power steering. There's a leak in the system and it is too old to worth fixing it the right way ($800 for a $2000 car), it is better to just keep topping off till the car is sold or crushed eventually. 7 quarts would last him a few years in a car rarely driven.

Back