Question about the difference in base plate designs

I used the search but didn't have any luck. I have a question relating to base plate design and how they hold the adbv. For instance the newer deere 125424c filter has the same base plate design as the ST filters (see pictures) instead of the traditional design like the older 124525 or motorcraft 910-s.

What is the purpose or benefits of this style of baseplate? Its also like the designs are inverted from each other. Is one design better than the other? What is the purpose of the first plate with 8 holes on the super tech? Its my understanding that this is a champ baseplate design.

fl-910s.jpg

ST base plate.jpeg

This is how the filter mfg decided to retain the gasket. Thin metal stamping die cost much less than thick. Taking out the complex forming of the gasket retaining make thick tooling much less expensive. Probably a good way to save a few pennies.

The Motorcraft is a Purolator made filter and the Super Tech is a Cham Labs made filter. Use whichever works best for your engine. I going to stick with FRAM, STP or OEM for my machine. They fit the Toro and Exmark branded Loncin engines the best. Their baseplate and gasket design prevented oil leaking.

The Motorcraft is a Purolator made filter and the Super Tech is a Cham Labs made filter. Use whichever works best for your engine. I going to stick with FRAM, STP or OEM for my machine. They fit the Toro and Exmark branded Loncin engines the best. Their baseplate and gasket design prevented oil leaking.
Right but that doesn't pertain to my question.

This is how the filter mfg decided to retain the gasket. Thin metal stamping die cost much less than thick. Taking out the complex forming of the gasket retaining make thick tooling much less expensive. Probably a good way to save a few pennies.
But it still has the thicker base plate under the thin plate to retain the adbv. Wouldn't this add cost since the thin metal is in addition to retaining the adbv?

It looks like the Supertech has two sets of holes under the top plate. Does that mean it has the "combo valve" that acts as both a bypass and an ADBV?

But it still has the thicker base plate under the thin plate to retain the adbv. Wouldn't this add cost since the thin metal is in addition to retaining the adbv?
sometimes to bend heavy metal takes several dies and this does add to the cost. We do similar things on some of our stuff, replacing a thick OE one piece cold form case with thinner 2 part case stamped.

The ecore extra top plate is just a thin sheet. Base plates are large nuts really, thicker ones or different holes and shapes make them stronger nuts or weaker. It’s just a large nut with a gasket holding the can part of the filter to it. I think some of the thin base plates from off brands look a bit weak. Running a filter down on a thread puts a lot of force on a base plate. I guess this is obvious here. Oh well. 😐

I can tell you the ST3614 you have pictured has felt end caps and has a nitrile rubber anti-drain-back valve that also doubles as a bypass valve. That base plate design on the Supertech oil filters usually indicates that it has felt end caps.
To me JMHO, the only purpose it looks to serve is to spread the oil more evenly around the entire filter as it gets filtered.

Deere uses an ecore style filter made by Champ Labs. Thus the same baseplate as 'some' ST filters now, with auxiliary outer plate. As mentioned by brian, the purpose as promoted by Champ was to make installation easier in hard to reach/see locations. That as opposed to protruding thread boss with no bevel, in link. The extra plate unique to ecore filters.

The link shows what must have been a very early ecore OF with no outer plate. Scroll to member cb91710.

Ecore filter without extra/outer baseplate.

I can tell you the ST3614 you have pictured has felt end caps and has a nitrile rubber anti-drain-back valve that also doubles as a bypass valve. That base plate design on the Supertech oil filters usually indicates that it has felt end caps.
To me JMHO, the only purpose it looks to serve is to spread the oil more evenly around the entire filter as it gets filtered.

I don't like seeing how easily the glued on fiber end cap peeled off.

Back