Question about oil filter design

Then there are bypass valves like in the e-core Supertech with base end combo valve. The oil never flows in the dirty side under bypass no matter which way it is pointed up or down. A superior design. I think the way people maintain cars and floor the gas as soon it starts, yes there are bypass events happening. Especially with the thick oil is best crowd.

The MC is still better than Toyota’s abysmal 50% @ 20 micron rating-and I don’t see Toyotas blowing motors left & right! For reasonable OCIs, the FL820S will be fine (as long as it doesn’t tear!).

If the base is up, the bypass valve is better at the base. If the filter base points down, a dome end bypass is best. The theory being any settled dirt will be opposite the bypass valve due to gravity, and have less chance to be swept through it.
This is interesting. Perhaps Ford and Subaru know what they're doing when it comes to filter design. My Explorer mounts with the OF base up and the Subaru filter mounts with the base down. The Motorcraft filter has the bypass at the base and the Subaru bypass is opposite the base.

This is interesting. Perhaps Ford and Subaru know what they're doing when it comes to filter design. My Explorer mounts with the OF base up and the Subaru filter mounts with the base down. The Motorcraft filter has the bypass at the base and the Subaru bypass is opposite the base.
In Suby's case, afaik they have always used dome end bypass, even before they chose to move the filter to engine top, relatively recent. The Suby OF location sometimes referred to as the "ring of fire" on engine bottom thread end up orientation, just one example. Imo, the fact that Suby happens to be dome bypass on engine top, just coincidence. That and seeing as Fram makes Suby filters and they only use dome bypass, most likely explanation.

Avoiding repetition, stick with my assessment of bypass location post#13 here.

Back