Question about store brand oil, mainly synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking into using store brand oils to save money and would still prefer to go with synthetic. Most store brands I have looked into are made by Coastal/Warren Oil. This includes Autozone, O'Reilly, and Wal-Mart Supertech.

The Coastal brand of full synthetic meets the GM Dexos1 standards as well as several other pretty stringent requirements. The store brands seem to meet the older specs for the Corvette, Cadillac, and such but not the newer Dexos1 spec. Are these store brands the same exact oil but without the proper licensing to be Dexos1? I know that this costs quite a bit of money and I figured they might just be the same exact oil without all the licensing and marketing costs associated with the name brand.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the experts here have to say about this topic. I used Mobil 1 for a while and then switched to Castrol Edge Titanium (gold bottle). I often see the store brands of full synthetic on sale with a nice Mobil 1 filter for cheap and was just curious if I am paying for a lesser quality oil or fewer licensing/marketing costs.

Thanks,

Conor

It's not necessarily the same oil because they can easily vary the additive pack to something cheaper. On the other hand Dexos licensing is absurdly expensive (in the range of 8 cents a quart) and one could easily see how they could skip paying for that and just bottle up the same stuff. The store brands are usually a decent product, but IMO Warren distribution has had some issues with quality control (gear oil out of grade lawsuit) that probably wouldn't happen with one of the big boys. Personally I don't see how you're saving more than a dollar or two a year, and if you're willing to deal with rebates and storing oil for six moths out probably spending more, but to each their own.

One place that does a good comparison of store brand oils is

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

And you'll see there are some TERRIBLE (yes all caps) store brand oils and some good ones... for example the Napa synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's not necessarily the same oil because they can easily vary the additive pack to something cheaper. On the other hand Dexos licensing is absurdly expensive (in the range of 8 cents a quart) and one could easily see how they could skip paying for that and just bottle up the same stuff. The store brands are usually a decent product, but IMO Warren distribution has had some issues with quality control (gear oil out of grade lawsuit) that probably wouldn't happen with one of the big boys. Personally I don't see how you're saving more than a dollar or two a year, and if you're willing to deal with rebates and storing oil for six moths out probably spending more, but to each their own.

One place that does a good comparison of store brand oils is

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

And you'll see there are some TERRIBLE (yes all caps) store brand oils and some good ones... for example the Napa synthetic.

I'm confused, do you think the Nappa Synthetic is a good oil? Or a bad oil?

The conventional oils from the stores I have easy access to all passed the tests listed on that website pretty well as far as I can see but I am not an expert. They didn't seem to have the synthetics. I am most interested in O'Reilly, Autozone, and Wal-Mart Supertech as those are what I have easy access to.

I have also been told to take empty jugs to a European car dealership and have them sell you some bulk Euro spec synthetic oil as this is exceptional oil and is often inexpensive, at least for very high quality oil, when bought this way.

I have two pickups and a little Geo Metro that is relatively new to me. The Geo is for mileage and everyone there suggests using Euro spec oil in these. For now, I am running M1 0W40 since it is what the forums suggest. These cars tend to be hard on oil so it pays to use the good stuff if you plan to keep the car. A few miles of driving with expensive oil is more than offset due to the extreme gas savings. My 1994 gets 50+mpg. I find it funny that I am using the factory fill for Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, etc. in a lowly Geo Metro!

Either way, I guess the larger V6 and V8 engines will likely not benefit from this kind of protection. My trucks are a Chevy S-10 4.3L and Ford F-250 with the 4.6L modular. I just want to see if the store brands are even close to M1 or Castrol Edge Titanium (gold bottle). Anyone here have any preference for a good run of the mill synthetic available anywhere based on oil or other analysis?

Conor

If you have a Service Pro distributor in your area, I'd suggest checking them out. I can get their approved dexos1 5W-30 full synthetic in quart bottles for $3.88 after taxes. Their 5W-40 Euro is only $4.94 a quart after taxes. Plus, they are only 5 minutes away from my work.

I think they have a decent line of oil filters, but I don't think they compare to what I can get a Motorcraft FL-820S for at Autozone.

Originally Posted By: cwatkin

I have also been told to take empty jugs to a European car dealership and have them sell you some bulk Euro spec synthetic oil as this is exceptional oil and is often inexpensive, at least for very high quality oil, when bought this way.

The oil is the same regardless of container size. Instead of taking a jug to a dealership, you would probably be better off just picking it up from whoever has it on sale.

I have been looking into using store brand oils to save money and would still prefer to go with synthetic. Most store brands I have looked into are made by Coastal/Warren Oil. This includes Autozone, O'Reilly, and Wal-Mart Supertech.

The Coastal brand of full synthetic meets the GM Dexos1 standards as well as several other pretty stringent requirements. The store brands seem to meet the older specs for the Corvette, Cadillac, and such but not the newer Dexos1 spec. Are these store brands the same exact oil but without the proper licensing to be Dexos1? I know that this costs quite a bit of money and I figured they might just be the same exact oil without all the licensing and marketing costs associated with the name brand.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the experts here have to say about this topic. I used Mobil 1 for a while and then switched to Castrol Edge Titanium (gold bottle). I often see the store brands of full synthetic on sale with a nice Mobil 1 filter for cheap and was just curious if I am paying for a lesser quality oil or fewer licensing/marketing costs.

Thanks,

Conor

For $0.50/5qt more a jug you can get QSUD at walmart, for $20.XX. Best bang for your buck synthetic as it meets DEXOS1 and HT06 specs. It has put up some great UOAs. Also right now Napa synthetic (made by ashland/valvoline) is on sale for 3.79/qt and is a decent budget full synthetic as long as you dont do extended intervals with it right away.

Is your F250 a light duty 1998 model? Only F250 I know that has a 4.6L in it.

The LD f250 was up to 2000 IIRC. it would be a decent rig for payloads and lighter trailers. The 4.6 is bulletproof.. They MAY have gotten the 4r100 as well but I thought most 4.6L's got the 4r70E.

if you purchased a vehicle the requires/specifies a synthetic oil, why would you cheapen yourself? 5 quarts penzoil platinum can be had at walmart for $25 bucks. i dont see how you can get much cheaper then that for synthetic and not have some sort of piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if you purchased a vehicle the requires/specifies a synthetic oil, why would you cheapen yourself? 5 quarts penzoil platinum can be had at walmart for $25 bucks. i dont see how you can get much cheaper then that for synthetic and not have some sort of piece of mind.

QSUD...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
The LD f250 was up to 2000 IIRC. it would be a decent rig for payloads and lighter trailers. The 4.6 is bulletproof.. They MAY have gotten the 4r100 as well but I thought most 4.6L's got the 4r70E.

I know they had a F150 7700 package up until 2003 I believe which was the same thing as the LD F250. I have a 98 LD F250 (only F250 available that year until the superduty came out in 99) with the 5.4L. Its been a solid truck since we've owned it.

My F-250 Light Duty is a 1997. Seems like a solid truck considering the almost 300,000 miles and no oil burning. Good luck finding the 7 lug wheels through.... Mine is a 2 valve model so it isn't loaded with power but doesn't have the problematic cam phasers or the 3v either (was that only the 5.4?). I do have an IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control), which tends to stick when it is cold and the truck is first started. I now run Seafoam through the intake once in a while and it seems to be getting better. My other option is to take the entire intake apart but I would rather clean it slowly. I understand they got rid of the IMRC after a couple years as it was such a problem. The EGR feeds [censored] right back into it and causes it to gum up. This is my only problem as of now and it clears up after a few seconds.

I bought some O'Reilly store brand full synthetic oil in a 5 quart jug and a Mobil 1 filter for $21. That filter usually goes for $12 alone so this is why I was wondering. They run the deal from time to time. I did buy the deal with oil for my mowers and the filter for my cars so it can work out. I thought this was a good deal so was just wondering....

If you have a choice between the premium Wal-Mart oils (Is this an oxymoron), which would you choose? I always used Mobil 1 then want to Castrol Edge Titanium (gold bottle). I think I got some Pennzoil Platinum once when they had it for cheap and I have never gotten Quaker State. I know well that Wal-Mart sells cheapened versions of products sold elsewhere for less that are junk but have looked into the oil and it is the same.

So, I am getting that it is basically a good idea to skip the store brand full synthetic oils if you care about your car... Is this correct?

Conor

So, I am getting that it is basically a good idea to skip the store brand full synthetic oils if you care about your car... Is this correct?

Conor

its up to you really, i am of the mindset of free/cheap AR is good enough in my book. my shelves are stocked with G-Oil and Nextgen dino, enough for a few years at least.
smile.gif

Have you considered using Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil in the proper viscosity? It is a quality product at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: volk06

For $0.50/5qt more a jug you can get QSUD at walmart, for $20.XX. Best bang for your buck synthetic as it meets DEXOS1 and HT06 specs.

I couldn't agree more. For only a couple of dollars more than a semi-synthetic you get the real deal.

One way I look at it is that so-so oil changed regularly is better than really good oil not changed very often. Anyway, everyone has their preferences and no oil is going to kill an engine as long as it meets spec and is changed often enough.

Conor

Originally Posted By: lexus114

QSUD...
grin.gif

Agree!!!!!!

Or the same $25 for 5qts jug M1 at Wally World. Either one is an excellent choice at a price roughly equal to what you'd pay for store brand synthetics in qt bottles. With the PP or M1, you know precisely what you're getting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back